Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you prefer if Baldurs Gate 3 was 2d or 3d?

Would you prefer if Baldurs Gate 3 was 2d or 3d?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

croitav

I hate 3D graphics
If 2D is superior to 3D, surely 1D would be even better? Or how about 0D? Now that would be classy (not to mention economical on asset development front).

And I'm sure Larian would drop the engine they have all the tooling and experience, not to mention things like elevation and neat environmental effect system (that naturally allows some things that *should* have been in the original BG, like burning webs, but didn't) for any old bag of derp hastily repurposed from an RTS prototype just to let you wank over your nostalgia in an instant if only that brilliant thought occurred to their little simpleton minds.

Seriously, for some time there has not been much point posting here - it's like average IQ of a 'Dex member halves every two weeks or so, and most of you (some notable exceptions notwithstanding) didn't have much to begin with, to be frank.

Oh look, we have 3d lover here!

Kill yourself.

Mark my words, BG3 is going to be over the shoulder 3d like Dragon Age. Larian mentioned somewhere that they will not use the engine of their latest games. Plus they have a bigger team for BG3. This is also the reason why they haven't shown any screen shots yet. They didn't want to break the hype wave right at the start.

I myself would prefer the style of Infinity engine, of course. It was genius.

croitav

I hate 3D graphics
Being called "edgy moron" by someone who believe that:
1. 3d is superior to 2d
2. Morrowind combat is awesome.
3. Hacking minigame in Deus ex: HR is glorious.
4. Skyrim is incline

is some kind of honor.

DraQ

Arcane
1. 3d is superior to 2d
Guess what, most of the time it is. When it is not, it's mostly a purely aesthetic choice or purposeful simplification in genres that benefit from it.

BG III is not going to feature purty pixel art (or crappy pixel art for that matter) and RPGs are polar opposite of "purposeful simplification" and are hurt by any attempts at it.

But sure, 2D is superior, as
  • Homeworld
  • Myth
  • Wizardry 8
  • TES (Daggerfall included)
  • Entire simulation and FPS genres
Can all attest.
Also applies to RL - if we had to eat and excrete through the same orifice (why is left as an exercise to the reader, but in your case I'm not keeping my hopes up) it would at least help mask the odor of bullshit wafting about every time you open your pie-hole, so I can see why it might be a plus for you.

Please, consider that bulldozer.

2. Morrowind combat is awesome.
The best I have ever said of Morrowind's combat is that it's a fundamentally correct idea done very badly.
Beat's fundamentally wrong one done slightly less badly, but that's about it.

3. Hacking minigame in Deus ex: HR is glorious.
Beats:
  • DX1 progress bar.
  • SS1 cyberspace.
  • SS2 minigame.
  • Any shit that has "Bio-" in either the title or parent company's name
Doesn't beat:
  • Uplink.
  • Actual thing.
  • something something Zachtronics, probably
Not bad, all things considered.
Any better alternative that isn't the whole game?

4. Skyrim is incline
Compared to Oblivion you need to be clinically braindead to not consider it incline.

And it's a decent enough game on its own, let alone when you mod it right.

Sentinel

Arcane
2D no doubt. High quality sprites --> fugly 3D models.

But I also like gear to be represented in the character's model :(

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There was a time when this "2D is superior and can look much more artistic and detailed" stuff made sense. I'd say even for the first 10ish years of 3D you could say that. However I think saying it today is borderline retarded.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
You do know that original BG was all prerendered, right?
You could say it was 3D before it even got to be 2D.
:M

This is the cleverest post of this thread... Makes you think about all the preconceptions our limited lives are based upon.

JDR13

Arcane
Mark my words, BG3 is going to be over the shoulder 3d like Dragon Age. Larian mentioned somewhere that they will not use the engine of their latest games. Plus they have a bigger team for BG3. This is also the reason why they haven't shown any screen shots yet. They didn't want to break the hype wave right at the start.

Not true. It's been stated multiple times that it's the same engine just a newer version.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
3d+vs+2d+3d+2d_7f7844_6548566.jpg

Not true. It's been stated multiple times that it's the same engine just a newer version.

Doesn't prove anything. An engine does not dictate the view point. I'll be happy if I'm wrong though.

I bet Skyrim is a dream for any game dev studio. A game that keeps selling on every new platform. And people are adding new content to it for free, so it's a positive feedback loop that's extremely rare for a single player game. Basically it's all the advantages of game as a service without the costs.
Any developer who denies that they would love to create a new Skyrim is lying.

JDR13

Arcane
I bet Skyrim is a dream for any game dev studio. A game that keeps selling on every new platform. And people are adding new content to it for free, so it's a positive feedback loop that's extremely rare for a single player game. Basically it's all the advantages of game as a service without the costs.

I think what you meant to say is a game that sells like Skyrim.

I think what you meant to say is a game that sells like Skyrim.

Yes, exactly. And I would say that any game that hopes to sell like Skyrim will have to share some of its qualities. For instance, it cannot be an isometric RPG :)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Guess what, most of the time it is.

Oh, really? Most of the time? Yeah, you're definitely smarter than those who say 2D is always better which nobody really does.

In fact, most of the time it adds nothing. Most of the time, it just is. Most of the time it's used because brainlets like it. At least, that's how it was in the 90s then the transition was being done. Every retard was fapping over the most ugly shit, just because it was 3D and therefore better. Congratulations on being a brailet drooling for the latest garbage, I guess.

Of course, now he have the indie pixel art brainlets, but they're still in a relatively low number compared to the 3D shitheads.

How is it better most of the time? Because hurr durr extra dimenshuns? You completely fail to explain, and your problem with 2D seems to be that.. well, it doesn't have enough dimensions. Therefore, I must conclude, that 3D is better just because extra dimenshuns.

Oh yeah, and in many cases it's actually worse. Since this is about BG, you only have to look at BG vs NWN1 and 2 to see how 3D can make shit worse. Significantly worse.

Would lose almost nothing if it was 2D with a heightfield terrain.

Wizardry 8

What exactly is 3D doing so awesome here that was not possible in the previous Wizardries?

The answer obviously is "nothing". But that's what a limited knowledge of games besides Bethesda garbage does, I guess. You just talk about shit you know, even if it doesn't have any relevance.

Though of course, in your brainlet skull, I guess it goes like this: Wizardry 8 is good and is 3D, therefore 3D is better than 2D. *clap clap* I made teh agurmentz!!

Entire simulation and FPS genres

Yeah, amazing argument. Also, you can't make candies without sugar, therefore sugar is better than salt. :retarded:

You do know that original BG was all prerendered, right?
You could say it was 3D before it even got to be 2D.

Man, aren't you informed and know how to use your knowledge to make compelling arguments.

You seem to think that people have something against the concept of 3D rather than against its disadvantages and its unnecessary uses. Guess it's expected from a simpleton who has something against the concept of 2D because "where's muh dimenshuns for imershuns" to think everyone does the same.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom