Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

deuxhero

Arcane
He needs some direction, otherwise we wind up with this

Music to avenge your father to.

I think this plays one time in the entire game, vs a boss that drops dead in seconds.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
This reminds me how much I hate when I cannot switch off the music in JRPGs that last for 80+ hours...

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

I think this plays one time in the entire game, vs a boss that drops dead in seconds.

When you dislike the song that much you go so far to even trivialize the fight to hear as little of it as possible. Meanwhile, game also has a track such as this one in it:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some notable things from Nintendo Direct.

Sequel to Zelda: BotW:

Collection of Mana (original Mana triology) for Switch:

Panzer Dragoon remake for Switch:

Jinn

Arcane
I like that watercolor/painted style that kind of originated with the remake of the first Romancing SaGa, Minstel's Song. Looks even better now. It's a unique style and very fitting to the atmosphere of SaGa games.

Cannot wait to play both Romancing SaGa 3 and Scarlet Grace. Some of my most anticipated games coming in the near future.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
That's... actually not horrible looking for a PS1 game and certainly less blurry than what you can get with emulation filters if you opted for that. Or are they using Saturn as base? Doesn't matter. I'm surprised a game with mixed assets from that generation looks anything remotely like so. Upscaling really has opened up a new market for "remakes".

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
That's... actually not horrible looking for a PS1 game and certainly less blurry than what you can get with emulation filters if you opted for that. Or are they using Saturn as base? Doesn't matter. I'm surprised a game with mixed assets from that generation looks anything remotely like so. Upscaling really has opened up a new market for "remakes".

you can get much better results than what's shown in that video by using Beetle PSX HW with supersampled antialiasing, jitter correction and polygon perspection correction, and optionally one of the built-in shaders like "easymode-CRT" for example.

Look at this shit:

With those settings, Blasto looks like a goddamn early-PS2 game. The jitter correction and polygon perspective correction also make a world of difference.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

you can get much better results than what's shown in that video by using Beetle PSX HW with supersampled antialiasing, jitter correction and polygon perspection correction, and optionally one of the built-in shaders like "easymode-CRT" for example.

I agree, but what now passes as low-poly 3D is much friendlier to emulation with higher visual fidelity over having to straight up filter sprites, for example. Those always look off somehow.

In other news, Squeenix really wants to digitize their entire library.
https://www.gameinformer.com/e3-201...king-its-complete-library-available-digitally

Square Enix has been around for decades creating one monstrous library of games. This makes us wonder if there any plans to make all these games readily available digitally, whether it's in some sort of subscription service or elsewhere. President and CEO Yosuke Matsuda confirmed he's heard the demand for the library to be available completely digitally.

"We're working on that in a variety of ways," Matsuda said. "That is a request that we hear often. As far as our major titles go, most of those, we still have variations out that you can play now. The more classic titles that you might have played on NES, we are still working hard to make it so you can play those. We actually have launched a dedicated project internally to port those, so we are working to make them available on a variety of platforms. Certainly down the road, we would like to see that on a subscription or streaming service, so we're exploring the possibility of creating a dedicated channel for ourselves."

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

RPG Site: I know this is something you probably cannot answer here, but I have to ask: Can you offer any more details on when we in the West might be able to play either of these games? The trailer just said "coming soon".

Ichikawa: So QA for the games is currently ongoing and release timing is still being decided for the two titles. We, unfortunately, don't have a more specific answer for you, but we are in the process of QA. Development is going smoothly and hopefully, you will be able to play these games soon.

----

In other news, KEMCO:

ss_b6e77204d578df8fe75e151788f89ef9a574a3c2.600x338.jpg
ss_98abb268924564cd46a78e3830ec10c4bcedc6ac.600x338.jpg

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Are more older games from all consoles being ported or remade to make $$. Reading obscure titles and it makes me wonder. I'm not thinking of anything inparticular but there are a lot of titles esp on japanese consoles and computers. I'd love to see a phantasie I-IV remake and Rogue's Alliance (Realms of Darkness).

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Are more older games from all consoles being ported or remade to make $$. Reading obscure titles and it makes me wonder. I'm not thinking of anything inparticular but there are a lot of titles esp on japanese consoles and computers. I'd love to see a phantasie I-IV remake and Rogue's Alliance (Realms of Darkness).
Hell, I'd like to see an English Phantasie 4 at all. It's not even a Wizardry situation where Japanese people took over the series and made their own; they actually brought the original designer in to work on the game and make it a proper sequel. But alas, it was never localized into English!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom