Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another "E#" interview, seemingly Swen and Mike talked rather interesting things compared to other same-y interviews. (But why don't they just post a transcription. :argh:): https://www.mmorpg.com/baldurs-gate-iii/interviews/baldurs-gate-3-meeting-expectations-1000013727

Apparently Larian's new game could have been a sci-fi RPG if it was not Baldur's Gate. Also some scant and vague bits about the combat and systems. (Scant hope, if you will.)

Baldur’s Gate 3 – Meeting Expectations

At E# last week we spoke with Sven Vincke the founder of Larian Studios. He was joined by D&D’s own Michael Mearls to talk about the incoming RPG bomb that is Baldur’s Gate 3. This title originally launched Bioware into the top RPG game studios status in the 1990s. Now here we are going into a new decade with a new generation of D&D fans and the third installment of the series is being built by a studio with a proven track record in the Divinity series. In truth, there could not be a better set up for this game, however, let’s see what the guys had to say at E3.

You got my Spell Jammer in my Forgotten Realms

Anyone who saw the trailer knows what is coming, Mind Flayers. It is no secret, they have been a popular villain in D&D lore since day one with the original first edition. Both Sven and Mike laughed about the trailer and mixing in some of the classic D&D lore.

Most importantly we asked Sven what it was like to carry the torch for such a beloved game. He was happy to take on the challenge. After Divinity 2 the team wanted a new challenge and so it was either a sci-fi title or Baldur’s Gate came up and everyone jumped at the chance.

Mike explained that Wizards of the Coast really felt confident in passing the torch to Larian Studios. A lot of the staff are fans of the games and so Sven’s team was primed to really merge the classic game into the new generation with some fresh ideas. Do not worry, there is plenty of classic being talked about for this title.

Creativity in Role Playing

Sven explained that Baldur’s Gate was one of the game which really allowed the player to feel creative. Making their character and finding companions along the way, not to mention team dynamics and skills. There were a lot of systems which really opened for fans to play how they wanted. That is a huge part of that the team at Larian wants to capture from the original. Game play was paramount, he wants to get it right.

In working with Forgotten Realms lore, Mike was quick to point out all the easter eggs on the trailer for fans of the game. Even spotting the Blushing Mermaid in the background. Mike really wants anyone to pick up the game and play, something that D&D is pushing towards more and more. They work in layers though with loads of content for older fans to enjoy. It is accessible to anyone, but the hardcore fans will really be rewarded in the game.

Combat – We Tried

Sadly, the guys could not give away much on the combat systems in the game yet, however they did share some philosophy around the subject. Sven wants it to feel like authentic D&D. Your class choice will be important, and they want you to really get the most out of what you play. There will be ways to do things like the table top like dexterity checks and all in the game. Those systems are being built in right now.

Both said they do not want to overwhelm the player with loads of combat at first. Easing into the game and getting used to multiple encounters as well as traps and other ways to adventure in the game. It is all about creativity with your party. Playing the role is important. Also, stories will crop up in the game about your party members which was inherent in all the Baldur’s Gate titles, they do not want to lose such a strong part of the game’s past, so look for a lot of these within this installment.

Sven made a point to talk about the fact that a ton of content in being built into the game outside of combat as well. There are a lot of new elements coming to this installment which impact the RPG beyond just a fight. Their main goal is to translate all the styles from the Player's Handbook and really flush them out within Baldur’s Gate 3.

We came away from the interview extremely excited about this game. We know, the hype machine moves on, however, the confidence in Sven and his crew was also at an all time high. Look for much more coverage over the next few months as we dig deeper into the Forgotten Realms.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Ah, Faerun...the setting from which Warhammer has ripped off so much, and people never realized it.

I think they know but I doubt they care enough since FR ripped off plenty of high fantasy tropes from Tolkien... who in turn ripped of European folk legends.

No, I mean the players don't know how much is ripped out of Forgotten Realms, to the point they unconsciously copy even more things from it. For example, in literally every WFRPG session I played it was assumed that Dwarves have low birth rates. This is never established in Warhammer canon. Instead, this is taken straight out of Faerun.

You have no experience with WFRP 1st edition, or the WFB army books, do you?

hexer

Apparently Larian's new game could have been a sci-fi RPG if it was not Baldur's Gate. Also some scant and vague bits about the combat and systems. (Scant hope, if you will.)

Judging by the types of threads Larian Steam mods locked recently, there's a good chance it will be a TB game.

Mortmal

Arcane

Interview in french, some thing we already know, "some d&d mechanics dont work in video games", if you know D&d you will find familiar things. If you dont know D&D ? No problem, you will be able to immediately play it. One good thing its not light fantasy with humor like divos and will be set in some unexplored areas of the forgotten realms.Again very shy on combat"will show", he hesitates when saying the word "loyal" to the system...use of environment confirmed in combat, still dont know anything else.Its hinted at the end the engine is divos augmented engine, not a completely new one.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The only commentary you can trust:

Baldur's Gate 3: Commentary - Part I
Baldur's Gate 3: Commentary - Part II
Baldur's Gate 3: Commentary - Part III

When this goes gold, my blog will be high-ranked for BG3.

Do you want to get high?
Does everybody want to get high?
Hits for the blog
Hits for the blog
Hits for the blog
Hits for the blog
Pick it, pack it, fire it up, come along
And give a hit to the blog

Hit that blog (Hits for the blog)
Hit that blog (Hits for the blog)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This may be one indication of graphical fidelity of this game, a personal work ("game-ready character in progress") of Larian's Lead Character Artist: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xzBEEE

alena-dubrovina-face.jpg

Assuming this will have third person camera and high-fidelity graphics, I wonder how far they will go with environmental interactions. Full of interactable objects and physics, similar to Skyrim? Or more static and selective approach?

Shrimp

Arbiter

Judging by the types of threads Larian Steam mods locked recently, there's a good chance it will be a TB game.
I admittedly haven't bothered checking the Steam forums recently, so I don't actually know how many threads were locked.
When I read that the mods had begun locking several threads I just assumed they were pruning duplicate threads and/or empty complaints with no discussion value, since that's what the forums appeared to be full of back when someone posted screenshots of the first pages. I can imagine Larian wouldn't want the entire front page of Steam's primary discussion platform to be full of various forum posts that could be interpreted as negative.

Reinhardt

Arcane
...neutral and good mind rippers...
tWW102v.png
"the rare good mind ripper feels SHE has responsibility to use HER talents and powers for the benefits of others, though SHE is often a lone crusader"
Hey, it's wymmyn mind ripper. Of course she must be good.

Shrimp

Arbiter
They're using an improved version of the D:OS engine which originally was the engine they used for Dragon Commander.

FL: What engine are you using, is it the same as DOS2?

Vincke:
It’s the next generation of our own engine, Dragon Commander was 1.0, DOS1 was 2.0, DOS2 was 3.0 and Definitive Edition was 3.5. Now we are heading to 4.0, a completely new shift, we’ve upgraded the engine, there’s a lot tech that has been developed for quite some time.

Curratum

They're using an improved version of the D:OS engine which originally was the engine they used for Dragon Commander.

FL: What engine are you using, is it the same as DOS2?

Vincke:
It’s the next generation of our own engine, Dragon Commander was 1.0, DOS1 was 2.0, DOS2 was 3.0 and Definitive Edition was 3.5. Now we are heading to 4.0, a completely new shift, we’ve upgraded the engine, there’s a lot tech that has been developed for quite some time.

This is actually terrible news, because the DOS2 engine is yucky as fuck. :negative:

Mortmal

Arcane
Its hinted at the end the engine is divos augmented engine, not a completely new one.

If this is true, it's the best news regarding this game so far.
It's old news I think?
No in the English interviews , they were saying brand new engine, there maybe he drop his guard , speaking belgium french ,betrayed by the casual friendly atmosphere . He says we have worked on an engine for rpgs(refering to divos in the video), augmented it . So this could indeed be very good news , an improved divos with d&d flavor. My guess , it could explain changes to mechanics and could work , more encounters , no rests and spells/skills cooldown, the change to hit chance therefore being justified by the increased number of encounters and non stop (turn based) action. Could live with that.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The engine actually wasn't so bad, apart from a couple of retarded things that can be changed in a new version (for example initiative or armor). Other than these it worked pretty well to be honest

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom