Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - coming September 5th

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
This is such a blatant fraud it hurts

typical user

Arbiter
I'm gonna eat kielbasa and drink my Zywiec on my first playthrough. I am also going to listen to carefully selected hardbass tracks on my custom playlist while on my way to buy the game and during the installation process.

Otherwise it won't be pure experience.

ADL

Prophet
It being GSC Game World means fuck-all for better or worse (hopefully better this time considering EVERYONE left). Each game has had such wildly different development teams it's amazing they turned out so good.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.pcgamer.com/stalker-2-is-a-new-project-that-isnt-based-on-the-cancelled-game/

Stalker 2 is a new project that isn't based on the cancelled game
Some details have slipped out of the Exclusion Zone.

It's been almost a decade since Stalker 2 was first announced, which was followed a couple of years later by the game being shelved and the studio temporarily shutting down. But there's a new Stalker 2 in development, with GSC Game World once again behind it. Quietly announced last year, we haven't heard much about it since, but a couple of details have come out of an interview with YouTuber Antishnaps.

Stalker 2 ceased development in early 2012, and GSC Game World hasn't picked up where it left off. We don't know much about what the studio had planned, but this version of Stalker 2 will be something different.

"Stalker 2 is a new project in which we use all the best ideas that our company has," said the developer.

The team working on the sequel is the largest the studio has put together, apparently, and it's funding Stalker 2 itself. There aren't any plans for a Kickstarter at the moment, either. There was no mention of platforms, aside from VR support not being planned.

As for the game itself, GSC Game World isn't giving much away. It will have a "unique atmosphere" and the studio is drawing from the original Stalker trilogy, naturally. I don't think it really needed to be said, but there are no plans for a battle royale mode. Not much was revealed beyond that, unfortunately, so Stalker 2 still remains a mystery.

More information might be hidden in a cipher, however. Another secret code was spotted in the Stalker 2 announcement earlier in the year, and while GSC Game World isn't giving away any clues, it confirmed that you'll find the next part somewhere on the website.

Cheers, Nibel.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
1) questions are very general (reveal nothing) or shockingly dumb. Will stalker have co-op? How many people work on the soundtrack? Wtf?
2) answers reek of decline, badly... very big team/"high quality AAA"/original creators left.... you can tell the focus will be on assets/technology/visuals over gameplay depth

Last edited:

Curratum

Don't be fucking stupid. Original Stalker games have the gameplay "depth" of a puddle. It's just that the shooting and atmospherics feel great.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Don't be fucking stupid. Original Stalker games have the gameplay "depth" of a puddle. It's just that the shooting and atmospherics feel great.

if you consider the gameplay of STALKER to be a puddle then I'd love to see what you consider a deep FPS. The systems in STALKER actually have a good amount of depth, they are just implemented in a very subtle manner to the point where a lot of players arent even aware of the many different things going on.

Additionally, of all the things that feel great in the STALKER series, the shooting is not one of them. I wouldnt regard it as a positive for the series at all, it has/had merely serviceable tac-shooter mechanics.

Curratum

if you consider the gameplay of STALKER to be a puddle then I'd love to see what you consider a deep FPS. The systems in STALKER actually have a good amount of depth, they are just implemented in a very subtle manner to the point where a lot of players arent even aware of the many different things going on.

Additionally, of all the things that feel great in the STALKER series, the shooting is not one of them. I wouldnt regard it as a positive for the series at all, it has/had merely serviceable shooter mechanics.

There are no deep fps games. The purpose of the genre is to be fast, thrilling and fun, not to have Deus Ex mechanics and depth. STALKER is a mixed bag of genres, I wouldn't call it a straightforward FPS. The action is often much slower paced than your average FPS and there are occasional elements of horror and a peppering of survival, even in the base games without bullshit like Misery tacked on.

I know a wee bit about modding STALKER myself, I have made what I like to think is a very serviceable compilation of minimods for CoC and making everything compatible as well as making further tweaks required quite a bit of poking around. I'd say I'm fairly familiar with the mechanics and the engine and I still wouldn't call that "depth", as to me depth usually equals complicated systems that the player has to juggle and actively exploit. The artifact hunting, juggling and the RPG stat aspect of them is the closest STALKER comes to what I'd call "depth".

I'm not implying the game is dull because it's not deep, I wouldn't spend 100 hours poking around files and manually resizing shell casing sprites if I didn't enjoy or find the series likeable. I just wouldn't use the word "deep", as to me it has other implications in a first-person game.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

Additionally, of all the things that feel great in the STALKER series, the shooting is not one of them. I wouldnt regard it as a positive for the series at all, it has/had merely serviceable shooter mechanics.

There are no deep fps games. The purpose of the genre is to be fast, thrilling and fun, not to have Deus Ex mechanics and depth. STALKER is a mixed bag of genres, I wouldn't call it a straightforward FPS. The action is often much slower paced than your average FPS and there are occasional elements of horror and a peppering of survival, even in the base games without bullshit like Misery tacked on.

I know a wee bit about modding STALKER myself, I have made what I like to think is a very serviceable compilation of minimods for CoC and making everything compatible as well as making further tweaks required quite a bit of poking around. I'd say I'm fairly familiar with the mechanics and the engine and I still wouldn't call that "depth", as to me depth usually equals complicated systems that the player has to juggle and actively exploit. The artifact hunting, juggling and the RPG stat aspect of them is the closest STALKER comes to what I'd call "depth".

I'm not implying the game is dull because it's not deep, I wouldn't spend 100 hours poking around files and manually resizing shell casing sprites if I didn't enjoy or find the series likeable. I just wouldn't use the word "deep", as to me it has other implications in a first-person game.

Fair enough. It just reads as a criticism, which seems out of place considering the genre as you say.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Vanilla Stalker shooting is ass. If you install some mod on it, only then does it get good. Stalker's gameplay has depth in the sense that you are usually allowed to approach situations in your own style, you could stealth in and pick them off one by one with a suppressed pistol, or you could snipe them down from afar with a sniper, and the straight forward assault with grenades and an assault rifle is always there as well. The reason why it was done well in Stalker is because the developers never forced it on you once, you only had the location and rarely if any information about it which meant you had to scout around yourself.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Unless you're AAA, UE is essentially the default these days. It's not a surprise. Just not economical for smaller developers to write their own engines in most cases.

Silva

Arcane
Unless you wanna make a 2D game.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2

new1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom