Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Citizen

And my character hates crying children, so he doesn't just strike up conversations with them.

The girl stands near the priestesses shrine in the seekers camp, she would remove all collars if you rescue gareth

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I beat the Alexander fight and only then realized that I could've teleported enemies in range of the crucified things that instagib anyone... What a shame.

How do I replenish source points?

Shrimp

Arbiter
Your current options are either consuming source orbs or by standing in puddles of liquid source. Somewhere on the island there's a vat that essentially acts as an endless supply of source.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also eventually you get a skill with which you can absorb Source from corpses/ghosts etc

Incendax

Augur
I'm roleplaying my character. Why the fuck would any character stay there and "explore"? Only a player would, but never a character.
Plenty of characters would stay and explore the moment they realize the place is full of ancient ruins and/or ancient magic. It’s called being an archaeologist, or any remotely ambitious wizard.

Murk

Arcane
Question for those who tried multiplayer.

Is it possible to use 1 purchased copy from GOG for 4 people to play online? Or is there some "only one instance of this GAMEID can be used at once" type of shenanigans?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm pretty sure you can, but don't quote me on that. I don't think GOG has different ID numbers on its installers.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I decided to torrent DOS 2. Are there any mods that fix the mechanical changes they made for the worse, to make it more like DOS 1?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I decided to torrent DOS 2. Are there any mods that fix the mechanical changes they made for the worse, to make it more like DOS 1?
Get the one that reduces number bloat, and I've heard good things about the one that makes it so that percentage of armour left is your percentage chance to save against CC effects. Sadly there are no mods that fix the lousy character system and encounter design.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

Here are the ones I suggest:

- Armor Based Saving Throws
(Makes status effects previously blocked by Physical and Magic Armour subject to saving throw rolls instead. A target's chance to resist a status effect is equal to the percentage of the corresponding armor type it has remaining. Available for Definitive and Classic Editions.)
- Level Up All Equipment
(Level up all your equipment, including uniques! No longer discard your obsolete equipment after gaining a level or two. For less than the cost of an equivalent item, upgrade your current gear to match your level.)
- Reduced Number Bloat
(Dramatically reduces the scaling of vitality, armor, and damage. Relative balance unaffected.)
- Optional but good: Interesting Uniques
(Reworks the stats of most of the unique items throughout the game to make them powerful and interesting.)

Murk

Arcane
Don't have to worry about the initiative being whack if you play as a solo character.

*guy tapping forehead.jpg*

DraQ

Arcane
They should either do a normal initiative system, make initiative do something ELSE, or do both.

By something else, I mean imagine if attacks of opportunity worked like this:
  • Characters have two attack ranges - normal attack and slightly shorter weapon range used for AoO.
  • AoO triggers whenever enemy enters the weapon range and for each turn they stay there.
  • Normal attack is processed as follows:
    • Attacker closes into normal attack range if necessary, spending APs.
    • Attacker steps into their own weapon range.
    • If this put them in defender's weapon range the initiative is rolled determining which character strikes first.
    • Strikes are exchanged in that order (unless the second one striking is unable to).
    • Attacker steps out back to normal attack range (if able to).
  • When already in enemy weapon's range, but wanting to get out, initiative would be rolled to determine if the character can back out without incurring AoO on this turn.
Then initiative would be useful without necessarily determining order of turns in meaningful manner.

In general, while I really think DOS2 is a step in the right direction, it's perfectly clear to me that good people at Larian just don't grok some things.
In particular they seem to not really understand purpose and proper handling of abstractions, going full cargo cult on them, which in turn:
  • Hobbles the best of their ideas - DOS1 would have so much better if if there were less gamey shit in there (particularly some of the combat skills, but also arbitrary levels and stats), so player could actually make meaningful inferences of clever possibilities (like extinguishing exploskeletons) instead of just surrendering to gamey randomness of remaining mechanics.
  • Hobbles the best of their ideas by forcing unnecessary symmetries (see elemental damage types)
  • Yields some disgustingly horrible (armour system) or meaningless (initiative) mechanics.
  • Creates pointless abominations that completely rob stuff in game of any semblance of sense - I mean primarily level system but also stat system. Seriously, I would rather have both abilities and attributes, but if you're unable to implement attribute system in meaningful way, just cut it and roll the remains into abilities. And drop the levels unless you are absolutely sure you have goals they accomplish. Otherwise you get lvl11 rat being both smarter and stronger than lvl1 wizard and warrior respectively, or lvl12 butter knife outdamaging lvl 3 artifact zweihander and I, as a player, no longer have any clue regarding what the fuck anything in your game even means anymore. It's just a rainbow of ever increasing c010urfu1 fuckin6 numb3r5 everyfuckingwhere that no longer mean anyfuckingthing, and please, make it stop, make it end.

cruel

Cipher
I finally started playing this for serious, after more than 1.5 year of complaining (on my side) about crappy armor system. And... suprisingly, I enjoy the game. It's much easier after you accept that armor system will be always there and you need to work with it, instead of fighting it.

Armor system clearly sucks, initiative system is annoying, auto generated loot sucks, writing could be better. This is a big enough list to throw most people off, but other than this, most other parts of the game work well. Difficulty can be surprising on normal (Fort Joy arena fight on early levels, Alexandar, Blackpits fight). Quests are done well, quite creative sometimes (methods of escaping fort joy, missing magisters in Driftwood, Lovrik quest, and more). I didn't encounter even one 'find X number of specific object and bring it to me', which is one of the most annoying things in the RPG game for me. Music is good, some areas provide very nice / distinct feel to them. Humor was toned down a lot compared to DOS1 (big plus for me). And, what surprised me, they got pretty creative with some of the skills. Spells like 'Living on the Edge', 'Bone Cage', being able to create different summons based on the surface, summon stats based on skill, the whole Polymorph tree - all this is done very well. Even Rogue tree is decent - there is a nice feel to put your opponnent on Bleed / Atrophy / Ruptured Tendrones in one turn. Using high terrain to your advantage is also cool.

I'm 104h, approaching level 14. I know that Arx sucked in original, will see how it looks in Definitive. For now I don't regret playing this at all.

TLDR: The game has many flaws but is much better than Codex makes it look like, and still worth playing.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This game is really a seller, it still surprises me. Currently it's #20 in global top sellers on Steam without any discount, just below Cyberpunk 2077.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom