Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

agris

Arcane
Patron
That's a 6k character review Efe (assume felipepepe didn't count spaces as a character).

agris

Arcane
Patron
you take first and last paragraph and voila!
Kenshi. What can you say about a game like Kenshi? Once in a blue moon, no, a lifetime, a game may come out that completely changes your world. It changes the way you think of gaming, the way you think of innovation and what could be done within the gaming medium and think of all the possibilities that could happen because of it. To me, that game is Kenshi.
[...]
If any of this sounds interesting to you, please pick this game up at full price and support these wonderfully creative developers. Who knows, they may change their mind if the game sells well enough and implement even more features, possibly as a free DLC (even if I would throw oodles of cash at them regardless if it was free or not!) Right now they say it's feature complete, but if enough people continue to buy it, well, who knows. Stop what you're doing and buy this game, but give it quite a few hours before you start to learn the ropes. This is not an easy pick-up-and-play, it requires some determination, some learning, trial and error and some luck. But once it starts rolling, boy does it roll hard.

tbf it reads like a games "journalist" review.

that is to say,

:prosper:

Zanzoken

Arcane
The devs said they will apply the engine upgrades from the sequel once it's finished, so that's something at least.

Although I am afraid Kenshi 2 will be released around the same time as Mount & Blade Bannerlord, Half Life 3, and Grimoire Electric Boogaloo.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Game gets updated, but calling it an RPG is like calling Skyrim an RPG(action-adventure w/vestigial RPG elements). I'd describe it more of a RT tactical game w/some light strategy and light RPG elements. This is the vanilla game, although I would NOT characterize ANY of the extent mods as making it TRULY more RPGlike as of June 21st, 2019 A.D.

It's not optimized well, but I liked it enough to buy it in EA and play it for some hours. Tactics and base building are more of the meat of the game IMO, also I find it to be a bit muddled, and unbalanced but yeah open world, hard to do in the first place... I still have to see if I can rig a FPish camera view, as it might be a fun hour or so more of sightseeing, o.w. totally useless with tactical squad control as usual since AIs still suck balls...

Honestly, I'd say wait for a sale if it looks interesting at all to you.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Yeah idk if this is true for everyone, but anything less than 50% doesn't move the needle for me. I understand why they would take it slow though.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Kenshi. What can you say about a game like Kenshi? Once in a blue moon, no, a lifetime, a game may come out that completely changes your world. It changes the way you think of gaming, the way you think of innovation and what could be done within the gaming medium and think of all the possibilities that could happen because of it. To me, that game is Kenshi.

Fluent is a god

Yeah idk if this is true for everyone, but anything less than 50% doesn't move the needle for me. I understand why they would take it slow though.
and why is that? the game has been officially declared dead already, the only reason to buy it now is a low, low low, llllloooooooooooooowwww price to try its mods (which improve its value enormously).

cruel

Cipher
Should I buy this game? Can somebody post a quick summary in the form 'if you like games X, Y, Z you will like it, if not you won't like it'?

And it what way the game is dead now, no future updates or something else?

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Should I buy this game? Can somebody post a quick summary in the form 'if you like games X, Y, Z you will like it, if not you won't like it'?
If you like exploration, sandboxes and some degree of mechanical complexity you'll like it. It's also pretty edgy.

And it what way the game is dead now, no future updates or something else?
the sims: post-apocalypse (katana edition)

as bugged as hell but as satisfying once you have your team going, then you decide to settle somewhere and once you finish your self-sufficient city you have no reason to continue. to truly reach its full potential kenshi would have needed an active world like mount & blade, instead 12 years in developing weren't enough to make it happen.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also if you're hungry you'll be able to use your PC to cook some stuff while playing

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
and why is that? the game has been officially declared dead already, the only reason to buy it now is a low, low low, llllloooooooooooooowwww price to try its mods (which improve its value enormously).

How is being at feature complete version 1.0 "dead" and why is it no longer worth buying a game if it doesn't receive new patches anymore?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

How is being at feature complete version 1.0 "dead" and why is it no longer worth buying a game if it doesn't receive new patches anymore?
Perhaps some people are addicted to early access titles?

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath

Do you like scavenging? Do you have skill grinding addiction? Do you like scavenging? DO YOU LIKE SCAVENGING?

Yes - Buy it on sale.
No - Don't.

have you actually played it? would you call *that* "feature complete"? really? for real? truly madly deeply? and i'm talking only about features, not even going to mention the bugs, oh gods the bugs, it's a gorram locust invasion!

Welcome to 2k19. A game is only worth playing for as long as it gets updated daily. "Games as a service" struck from an unexpected side.
"games as a service" means that we haven't got complete products anymore, we've been playing betas for years, sometimes alphas even (underworld ascendant anyone?). sorry milord if i happen to prefer whole, complete, working products over "i shat this, stuff it in your mouth and shut up".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom