Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Silent Hill series, a review.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

Let me remind you why Akira yamaoka is the best composer of videogame industry... even today.

SH3:
Everything is due to that infant in Heather trying to make her despair. Which is why she sees so much occult stuff.

I think everything is because Heather is actually Alessa, the core of all the SH cult shenanigans and curses. That's why this game atmosphere is the most perturbing, violent and opresive of all. All the SH3 otherworld matches with the parts of the first SH otherworld that were relationated with her.

tumblr_oceorgt0fQ1skzj31o1_500.gif

While it isn't completely at SH1-3 level it gets really really really close to them. Just not in the way you think about SH games.
Meaning, Shattered Memories is not a bad Silent Hill game because it's not Silent Hill at all. Anyway, it's not my cup of tea. I'm not sure what's supposed to captivate me about it.

Perkel

Arcane
While it isn't completely at SH1-3 level it gets really really really close to them. Just not in the way you think about SH games.
Meaning, Shattered Memories is not a bad Silent Hill game because it's not Silent Hill at all. Anyway, it's not my cup of tea. I'm not sure what's supposed to captivate me about it.

It is hard to say why this is without spoiling anything. But this is more of SH2 type of game rather than SH1-3 despite looking like SH1 remake.

Like i said before if you go into it thinking it is shit SH1 reboot then you will be really amazed by game (aside those fucking chase sequences)

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Gameplay is what you spend 90% of the time doing. Of course it's important even in SH

It's important in every video game. If it was bad or didn't exist it'd either be an interactive software novel or a movie.

There's a reason some games like Metal Gear Solid get accused of being a Movie-game.

Deflowerer

Arcane
SH3 Hard Mode is pretty hard iirc. Pretty much need to avoid combat as much as possible, and if you have not saved up ammo for final boss (and even then), shit's pretty challenging and LONG (took me half an hour to beat it). Don't even get me started on the Hard Puzzle difficulty setting. You better know your fucking Shakespeare.

I mean, combat is in a sense the worst aspect but I think that's the point. Once you make combat too satisfying or good, you can't really make a horror game in the same vein. Especially on Hard difficulty, going into a pipe fight will undoubtedly be a net negative for you resource-wise. So it encourages avoiding enemies, without completely eliminating combat altogether.

Fatal Frame probably has one of the more ingenious survival horror combat systems though and that's probably a legitimate counterexample to the above statement. It's gamey enough but the underlying system rewards you for relishing the dread.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
SH hard combat modes encourages you to avoid combat with mobs almost always. I remember when I completed SH2 in that mode, it was a satisfing experience until I reached the fight against the Pyramid heads. 20 minutes fight about repeating the same patrol and shooting every single bullet on them. Then, I had to run and wait the Final boss to die by himself. Later, I discovered that those fights are very easier if you save enough rifle ammo during your playthrough.

Kz3r0

Arcane
shit's pretty challenging and LONG (took me half an hour to beat it
In the PS2 version you can just position Alessa on the right side of the Boss' face an beat it with your trusted rusty pipe.

SH3 is genuinely a proper survival horror game on Hard mode. I think its the only instance in which I've essentially been out of both ammo and health (for melee) vs. the final boss when it died. Even more impressive is that it does this with almost none of the "dynamic difficulty" nonsense that later REs and other games use to randomize downward your ammo and health if you're doing too good to create fake difficulty.

Beastro

Arcane
He is correct, it goes without saying that disturbing is worse than scary, and it's more difficult to achieve.

Horror is ok when something can scare you, but it's far, far better when a setting can create an unnerving desire for the removal of the absence of any tangible threat. We fear that which we imagine might be lurking in the dark more than what is actually out there. In an odd way, actually having something known to be out there is less scary because it's something concrete to face or avoid. Until the unknown reveals something only God knows wtf is out there and that is what really terrifies people because their mind begins to fill it with things worse than reality ever could.

It's why being in the pitch black in an open field or forest makes you seek out some civilization or just illumination even if you live somewhere where you know nothing wild can hurt you. It's why stillness in such situations, or a gently or moderate yet infrequent wind can be scary while being in a severe wind or downpour at least gives you the sense that lively weather is keeping you company. Or while in the calm you hair one breaking twig or crushed leaf and nothing while a bunch is reassuring, because you at least have a location and course on what is out there stepping on them.

It's for this reason that Catastrophizing with depression and anxiety, or the constant threat of imminent death during the long drawn out boredom of war fuck with people. They are filling the future with what they worry is the worst that might befall them.

Gameplay decline is gameplay decline though, and none of you deny it, only justify it with atmosfag and storyfag-biased responses.

Yeah atmosfag and storyfag. This is one of very few games with shit gameplay I can keep replaying for those reasons. I thought it was common knowledge that Silent Hill is to be enjoyed for these things specifically and I didn't even realise that someone could possibly like them for gameplay until you came along. Maybe you'll even become the only person here who thinks SH3 is better than 2? Would be interesting.

I think a game like SH1 would be ruined by better combat. How bad it is produces a sense of desperation that reminds me of the Grizzly Man guys death. All he had within reach to attack the bear with was a frying pan and he bashed it as hard as he could knowing it wasn't doing much but still doing it because it was all he could do as the bear ate him alive.

You improve the combat or remove it and you give the player safe spaces to mentally hide in, which is one thing I didn't like playing Amensia. I couldn't fight back, so I mentally unchecked that from my mind instead of having it fuck with me. "Should I attack now? Will it be good enough? Will I be making a mistake if I do? I'm sick of hiding, I want to fight back!"

This is why recon aircraft aren't armed with weapons. If you give a pilot something to defend himself with they will try to use it. They US Air Forced messed with such shit in WWII and found it actually increased loss rates while removing their armament made them go back down again. Without weapons the only thing in the pilots mind is "RUN!".

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
I've never played sillent hill and want to try it, what's the best platform and version for me to play?
Gregz
SH1 - there's just a PS1 version. Never played it on original hardware though, always emulated.
SH2 - PS2 version used to be the best one, until the Enhanced edition patch. Now PC version is the way to go.
SH3 - PC version hands down. It boggles my mind how good looking this game is, just slap a widescreen patch.
SH4 - original PC version wasn't very good, but it's fixed now.

I'm such a shameless pc shill.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
i played the fuck out of SH1 back in the day and yet i can barely remember it. Just some iconic snippets. I dont think i ever beat it.

I played SH2 but never very far. Might be time to try again I suppose.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
ok so i "acquired" a copy of SH2 directors cut, installed all the enhanced edition shit and the game runs like crap. when im standing still its running at a full 30 fps but it seems like any sort of movement/input drops the fps to low the 20s. Super distracting because of the inconsistency.

I tried everything i could think of and everything the website suggests, nothing fixed this, including: deleting reshade, running in windowed mode, running in fullscreen, turning the fog fix off, running in compat., etc.

schru

Arcane
I recommend playing the PlayStation 2 version in an emulator if your PC is powerful enough. It's simply the most authentic option and it definitely looks better than the PC port.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
If you want to play Silent hill, play them on emulators. PCSX2 works great with them. You can play the games in full HD while maintaining all the visual effects and the fog. There's some issues with the pre-rendered cinematics tho, you need to swap to software rendering to see them properly. But if I remember correctly, the last version of the emulator does this by itself.

Jamma

Novice
DO NOT PLAY THE PC VERSION. It will only get worse. I promise you.
At some point it's gonna start crashing to desktop, and after that if your spirit isn't broken it will start crashing Windows. There's nothing you can do to fix it, which will suck because you're going to lose your save. Play on an emulator.

SH2 and 3 worked fine on PC for me (played both the ports and the emulated version). But it's probably one of those things that is highly variable depending on your system. These ports were not well-engineered.

Like people said - just play on PCSX2. You can set it up to 8x resolution from PS2 native, it looks pretty good. For SH2 you will have to enable at least two additional options to avoid problems:

To avoid crashes during FMVs - "Switch to GSdx software rendering when an FMV plays". Found in "Game Fixes".
To avoid a specific crash after a certain scene - "VU cycle stealing". Set to 1. Found in "Speedhacks".
I suggest using OpenGL renderer, seems the most stable one. You might need to force Tripple Buffering from your graphics card panel for its VSYNC though, if you see your FPS being halfed by it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom