Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Saerain

Augur
Patron
They're using an improved version of the D:OS engine which originally was the engine they used for Dragon Commander.

FL: What engine are you using, is it the same as DOS2?

Vincke:
It’s the next generation of our own engine, Dragon Commander was 1.0, DOS1 was 2.0, DOS2 was 3.0 and Definitive Edition was 3.5. Now we are heading to 4.0, a completely new shift, we’ve upgraded the engine, there’s a lot tech that has been developed for quite some time.
Thank cock. Practically the reason I'm interested in Larian working on this is the direction Divinity Engine has been taking down a road of NWN succession. Scrapping it now as it finally has a chance with D&D would be :despair:.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This may be one indication of graphical fidelity of this game, a personal work ("game-ready character in progress") of Larian's Lead Character Artist: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xzBEEE

alena-dubrovina-face.jpg

Assuming this will have third person camera and high-fidelity graphics, I wonder how far they will go with environmental interactions. Full of interactable objects and physics, similar to Skyrim? Or more static and selective approach?
I would love if you will be able to fireball buildings and doors into submission, Xcom style.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I would love if you will be able to fireball buildings and doors into submission, Xcom style.

To be honest, IF Larian is trying to make an RPG what Elder Scrolls or Ultima Underworld 3 (the open world vision from LGS) could have been, I'd be fine this being an action RPG.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Assuming this will have third person camera and high-fidelity graphics, I wonder how far they will go with environmental interactions. Full of interactable objects and physics, similar to Skyrim? Or more static and selective approach?
Given D:OS 2, I don't really see a reason to expect less environmental interaction than what that had. Crates, explosives, doors, paintings to block doors :lol: , etc.
As long as it doesn't become as ridiculously "THE FLOOR IS (CURSED) LAVA" after two rounds of combat like D:OS2 did...

ArchAngel

Arcane

To be honest, IF Larian is trying to make an RPG what Elder Scrolls or Ultima Underworld 3 (the open world vision from LGS) could have been, I'd be fine this being an action RPG.
I would not mind a high quality ELEX type game but in D&D world with access to all the crazy spells and abilities and world that reacts to that.. but from their interviews they keep talking about having a party and that does not work in ELEX/Elder Scrolls type of game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

I would not mind a high quality ELEX type game but in D&D world with access to all the crazy spells and abilities and world that reacts to that.. but from their interviews they keep talking about having a party and that does not work in ELEX/Elder Scrolls type of game.

Yeah, probably. That's also why I imagine this could be phase-based or simultaneous turn-based or whatever name for combat of Copper Dreams. :cool:

Cael

Arcane
Given D:OS 2, I don't really see a reason to expect less environmental interaction than what that had. Crates, explosives, doors, paintings to block doors :lol: , etc.
As long as it doesn't become as ridiculously "THE FLOOR IS (CURSED) LAVA" after two rounds of combat like D:OS2 did...
Ultima 4 already had dungeon rooms with advancing lava. Funny how "modern" RPG can't seem to grasp the concept properly.

Saxon1974

Prophet
They're using an improved version of the D:OS engine which originally was the engine they used for Dragon Commander.

FL: What engine are you using, is it the same as DOS2?

Vincke:
It’s the next generation of our own engine, Dragon Commander was 1.0, DOS1 was 2.0, DOS2 was 3.0 and Definitive Edition was 3.5. Now we are heading to 4.0, a completely new shift, we’ve upgraded the engine, there’s a lot tech that has been developed for quite some time.
Thank cock. Practically the reason I'm interested in Larian working on this is the direction Divinity Engine has been taking down a road of NWN succession. Scrapping it now as it finally has a chance with D&D would be :despair:.

The only thing I don't like about the engine is the view angle. It always feels like you can't see very far out so makes it hard to really get a feel for where you are on a map.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Yeah, probably. That's also why I imagine this could be phase-based or simultaneous turn-based or whatever name for combat of Copper Dreams. :cool:

People keep saying this, yet the solution is obvious - you don't control the other party members. Done and done. It's not like this is unprecedented, you have party members in New Vegas and Skyrim too.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

People keep saying this, yet the solution is obvious - you don't control the other party members. Done and done. It's not like this is unprecedented, you have party members in New Vegas and Skyrim too.

I've yet to see a good implementation of Ai party members. Hell, look at NWN - it was a disaster of such proportions there that even the mods couldn't really fix it.

Maybe if we were able to modify their scripts, but at that point its pretty much Deadfire. Except worse as you can't even see the fireballs from team members coming until they're exploding in your face.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
DA:O tactics/ff12 gambits/deadfire's whatever needs to see more use

I agree, but they really need to give us a way to control where the AoE spells are going to hit with those. Deadfire gave some tools - with checks on enemies/friends in range of the target - but by the time spell fires off the situation around the target enemy could be completely different - if they made the target area check when the spell was about to fire off instead of when the party AI wizard saw the enemy the results would be better.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I agree, but they really need to give us a way to control where the AoE spells are going to hit with those. Deadfire gave some tools - with checks on enemies/friends in range of the target - but by the time spell fires off the situation around the target enemy could be completely different - if they made the target area check when the spell was about to fire off instead of when the party AI wizard saw the enemy the results would be better.

Easy - no friendly fire on AoEs. If party members get AoEs at all that is.

turkishronin

Arcane

But that's haraam

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Nah: https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-will-combine-the-best-of-divinity-and-dandd-5th-edition/

You'll be controlling your whole party

While he did not confirm the exact number of party members, from the wordings ("The party’s going to be big", "playable together with friends") of press things I think it'll have at least 3 player co-op, possibly 4 and more.

Codex Year of the Donut

But that's haraam
no this is harrim
Harrim.png

Codex Year of the Donut
While he did not confirm the exact number of party members, from the wordings ("The party’s going to be big", "playable together with friends") of press things I think it'll have at least 3 player co-op, possibly 4 and more.
Personally I'd prefer D&D games with smaller parties so I'm ok with this

Razor

Arcane
No, I mean the players don't know how much is ripped out of Forgotten Realms, to the point they unconsciously copy even more things from it. For example, in literally every WFRPG session I played it was assumed that Dwarves have low birth rates. This is never established in Warhammer canon. Instead, this is taken straight out of Faerun.

This reminds me, where are the dwarf women? Do the hairy manlets even have them? If so then how do they multiply? Adoption/Splicing/Lay eggs/Asexually/..??..?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom