Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

jf8350143

Liturgist
For some reason the Xbox Game Pass let me install Outer Worlds, then it downloads 10 MB of data and tell me I can play it.

Are you trying to install some kind of virus on my computer microsoft? Because if not I'm very disappoint in you.

Duraframe300

Arcane
https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/18/the-...interview-we-wanted-to-be-a-fun-game-9992372/

The obvious parting question for Boyarsky is whether he knows what he’ll work on after The Outer Worlds and whether it will take advantage of the larger budgets offered by the Microsoft acquisition. ‘I think I know’, he says. ‘But hopefully the budget will be within reason. I don’t wanna fall into that trap.’ ‘Obviously a bigger budget is better, but only within reason. Because I feel like some of the best ideas that me and Tim have come up with, in our careers, were forced onto us by having to have creative solutions to things like not enough time or not enough money.

ZVERMIX

Learned
Patron
Insert Title Here My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
God, Boyarsky is saying all the right things. He makes TOW sound way better than it looks in the footage.
Go on, Leonard, sell me them lies! I wanna buy that bridge, too!

Quillon

Arcane
https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/18/the-...interview-we-wanted-to-be-a-fun-game-9992372/

The obvious parting question for Boyarsky is whether he knows what he’ll work on after The Outer Worlds and whether it will take advantage of the larger budgets offered by the Microsoft acquisition. ‘I think I know’, he says. ‘But hopefully the budget will be within reason. I don’t wanna fall into that trap.’ ‘Obviously a bigger budget is better, but only within reason. Because I feel like some of the best ideas that me and Tim have come up with, in our careers, were forced onto us by having to have creative solutions to things like not enough time or not enough money.

Sawyer too has been religiously saying "design needs its constraints" for years now, but I'd have expected a bit more ambition; why not you try to push the envelope now that you have the opportunity? Why it has to be only CDPR? But I guess they are too old for this shit :P

jf8350143

Liturgist
I always feel like Obsidian wants to make RPG, and RPGs are not mainstream anymore. So if they have to choose they will choose RPG over mainstream game like fallout 4.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Sawyer too has been religiously saying "design needs its constraints" for years now, but I'd have expected a bit more ambition; why not you try to push the envelope now that you have the opportunity? Why it has to be only CDPR? But I guess they are too old for this shit :P

Apples and Oranges. CDPR are in a unique situation.
In Leonards specific situation though, thats when he and Tim produced their best work. Plain and simple.
And you forget that Leonard has experienced all the pitfalls of a big budget project already with Diablo 3.

Quillon

Arcane
In Leonards specific situation though, thats when he and Tim produced their best work. Plain and simple.
And you forget that Leonard has experienced all the pitfalls of a big budget project already with Diablo 3.

In Diablo 3 he was a soldier in an army, he is in a leading position now and I expect more ambition from a creative dude who has a chance to realize his vision better with more adequate/more than adequate budget. Its better if he saw all the pitfalls of a big budget project, now he can avoid them if possible.

Feargus & Brian Fargo are more excited than the "creative guys" ffs :P

Cross

Arcane

In Diablo 3 he was a soldier in an army, he is in a leading position now and I expect more ambition from a creative dude who has a chance to realize his vision
The Outer Worlds isn't necessarily "his vision". The concept for the game was pitched by Feargus and Chris Parker, not Leonard or Tim.

Duraframe300

Arcane

In Diablo 3 he was a soldier in an army, he is in a leading position now and I expect more ambition from a creative dude who has a chance to realize his vision better with more adequate/more than adequate budget. Its better if he saw all the pitfalls of a big budget project, now he can avoid them if possible.

He wasn't. He was hired as a lead from the beginning and he had big, big plans.

More money does not automatically mean a bigger and more ambitious end product unless maybe your name is Valve (well in the past) or CDPR. Otherwise your dealing with a multitude of problems like for example feature creep and exces that breathe down your neck more attentivly. Look at Bioware FFS.

Quillon

Arcane

In Diablo 3 he was a soldier in an army, he is in a leading position now and I expect more ambition from a creative dude who has a chance to realize his vision
The Outer Worlds isn't necessarily "his vision". The concept for the game was pitched by Feargus and Chris Parker, not Leonard or Tim.

Its very much aligned with his vision tho.

Quillon

Arcane

He wasn't. He was hired as a lead from the beginning and he had big plans.

He proposed making Diablo more RPG-like, his ideas gained traction and ultimately went nowhere, they went another way. He wasn't hired to lead Diablo 3, he was hired to lead TOW.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane

He wasn't. He was hired as a lead from the beginning and he had big plans.

He proposed making Dİablo more RPG-like, his ideas gained traction and ultimately went nowhere, they went another way. He wasn't hired to lead Diablo 3, he was hired to lead TOW.

Exactly. And again yes, he was hired to lead a part of Diablo 3 and he got sidestomped by exces. More money involved, more a safe approach is chosen.

For the third time, CDPR who is basically a top the foodchain with a clear vision of their games from top to bottom is not *Xbox Games Studios* subsidary Obsidian.

Mo money Mo problems. That doesn't mean a small budget of course. That's why Leonard said *Not too big*.

Quillon

Arcane
More money does not automatically mean a bigger and more ambitious end product unless maybe your name is Valve (well in the past) or CDPR. Otherwise your dealing with a multitude of problems like for example feature creep and exces that breathe down your neck more attentivly. Look at Bioware FFS.
For the third time, CDPR who is basically a top the foodchain with a clear vision of their games from top to bottom is not *Xbox Games Studios* subsidary Obsidian.

Mo money Mo problems

What are you trying to say? That you don't believe in Tim & Leo & Josh etc as you believe in Adam Badowsky & Konrad Tomaskiewicz? That they are not capable of "re-defining the RPG" than their polish counter-parts? If so you should want them retire and more competent people to take their jobs.

CDPR doesn't have a clear vision for their games, they have been constantly trying new things & changing their vision for CP77, they just have the ultimate goal of pushing the envelope. They have the freedom to dictate how they operate and now they say MS studios also have freedom to make whatever they want. Its not comparable to EAware atm.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Josh should direct TOW DLCs and Tim & Leonard should move on poeIII.

I don't think Leonard would want to make straight TOW2 because of that sequel-fatigue which happened to Josh with deadfire.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
Jesus guys, they don't want a huge budget because the more money you spend on a game, the larger your audience needs to be. It's a Faustian bargain.

They are already making an action RPG, nothing wrong with making it with better production values and inviting more people at this point.

I don't think Leonard would want to make straight TOW2 becuase of that sequel-fatigue which happened to Josh with deadfire.

It doesn't seem like they don't want to.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jesus guys, they don't want a huge budget because the more money you spend on a game, the larger your audience needs to be. It's a Faustian bargain.

They are already making an action RPG, nothing wrong with making it with better production values and inviting more people at this point.

Goodbye stats, goodbye unvoiced protagonist, goodbye massively branching storyline. Hello Grand Theft Auto in space.

Quillon

Arcane

Goodbye stats, goodbye unvoiced protagonist, goodbye massively branching storyline. Hello Grand Theft Auto in space.

Yeah and BG3 will be action RPG right?

CP77 doesn't seem to lost anything RPG-wise compared to the Witchers, in fact gained more with custom character.

If TOW would be a big thing in the future, only unvoiced protag among those would be in danger imo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom