Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Dead Monarchy: Open-World | Turn-Based | Mercenary Management | RPG - Fully Released May 19th 2023

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
What's with the color palette? Everything looks like mud.

Do you mean the lighting in the town or even in the combat maps? If it's the town it's because I'm still optimizing lighting.
I don't mean a technical detail--I am talking about an artistic decision. I only noticed it because of that picture with the guy on horseback in your post from yesterday. It has a touch of what looks like yellow ochre (I know it's digital), but otherwise the palette just looks like overmixed paint. In the exhibition videos you posted there is some color on the combatants, but the colors in the environments are very muted. I think this is not something you should ignore (even if it isn't a terribly high priority atm). If this is intentional, I hope you (or your art lead) rethink it.

The art is actually placeholder art, it is something I'd like to review eventually. I'm the only guy working on this so I have to call all the decisions as I have no one else to bounce ideas off. That's also why I really appreciate feedback like this. There is probably bound to be some "inconsistent" artistic themes or directions, but that's mainly because I'm using placeholder or temporary art. It would probably apply to the weapon ability icons or just some icons in general, eventually I'd like to actually get custom ones done. But yeah, I'll constantly be iterating through many things as I develop, in a way that's one of the perks of developing by yourself, no red tape. So thanks for the feedback, I've noted it down :)

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
The art is probably going for a gritty look but it does not quite work.

It is actually a placeholder picture, but you are correct in that I am going for a gritter look and feel. It's the same thing I'm trying to reflect in the armor and weapons when they are finalized. But I will be constantly iterating and improving and when I can find the funds, I'd like the art to be more consistent. Thanks guys for pointing this out though :)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Steam page is live. May be old. I hadn't seen it before. June is for Early Access, not final release date.

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Steam page is live. May be old. I hadn't seen it before. June is for Early Access, not final release date.

Abu Antar I appreciate you taking the time to do that. I think Infinitron updated the first post too which is much appreciated as there is more visibility now. Also thanks for the wishlists guys, it really helps motivate me. :)

I am really aiming for an Early Access release by the end of June. I wanted to release it last year actually but I decided to keep polishing it and taking in feedback from the demos. I'm currently just doing another round of optimization and working on tutorial videos for the video tutorial. The first three videos are up and they'll serve as the tutorial for the game when it launches. I apologize for the mic quality (audio pops), but I've gotta make do with what I've got currently. Probably best to speed up the videos, I record these videos after coming back from work when I'm half dead. :D

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Hey guys, couple more videos have been posted up:

EDIT: Thought I'd just mention that the reason why I'm posting these tutorial videos in chunks is because some of the info has already been covered in the past if you've been following the game. So I thought I'd just save you guys the trouble of re-watching stuff you already know about. In any case, it'll at least show you how the game is shaping up :)

Development: I'm currently still in the middle of another round of optimization, trying to implement a "simple/detailed models" option and other various performance fixes, but the game is still on track for an Early Access release in June, most likely towards the end.

Last edited:

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Hey guys,

So after 2 years of this game first being mentioned here, I now have a release date. 18th June, 10:00AM PDT. $10USD with a 10% discount for the first week. Thanks for all the support over the years! :D

Also, posting the last 3 videos for the combat tutorials.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey guys,

So after 2 years of this game first being mentioned here, I now have a release date. 18th June, 10:00AM PDT. $10USD with a 10% discount for the first week. Thanks for all the support over the years! :D

Also, posting the last 3 videos for the combat tutorials.

Hot diggity, good luck!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A nice autobiography: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1037940/announcements/detail/1608262932880057302

Announcement: Early Access Has Begun
18 JUN @ 8:03PM - DEAD MONARCHY STUDIOS

09b6d0bfcf384d34b6bcbd6c8eea306b09b14fd0.jpg

Hey guys,

Most of the information that is directly related to the release will be mentioned in this paragraph alone. Thank you to everyone for all the support I have received over the years. I really can't state enough just how important it is for developers to have a strong community. Dead Monarchy has now been officially released into Early Access. However, things have only just begun and there is a lot more work to do. There is a "roadmap" but I'd prefer to just call it a feature list as I don't have a definite date for any of these upcoming features. Check out the "Upcoming Features" thread in the general discussions. I have also made sub forums for reporting bugs and providing feedback on existing features.

The rest of this announcement is just a story so if you were interested in my development journey up to this point, stay awhile and listen.
steamhappy

Three years ago, I decided to try my hand at game development. Prior to that, I had graduated from university with a Multimedia degree which was more or less useless. It taught me a few things, but in hindsight I probably could have just googled most of it.

That said, my end results were mediocre at best as I was just too preoccupied with gaming. After all, I've been gaming all my life, I was about 6 or 7 when my parents bought me a gameboy to play Pokemon, since I had traded away all my tuckshop money at school for Pokemon cards. This was only the start though, my first foray into PC gaming was Age of Empires which I fished out of a cereal box. Cereal has never quite been the same since then. I remember spending hours in the scenario editor creating "spectacular cities" which were really just a load of houses arranged on a square grid and then I remember having my childlike mind break down when my beautiful walls were destroyed by catapults.

Then when I was about 12, my parents finally bought me an Xbox and through a friend I got my hands on a little game called Morrowind. I honestly didn't know what I had gotten my hands on at the time. However, I had also been simultaneously playing Runescape, spending my days in world 2 trading rares, hoping to one day get a party hat and grinding it out on mudcrabs through the scorching Australian summers. Then one day, my account got hacked, I lost my santa hats, I cried and then I quit in a fit of rage.

I then set my sights back on the Xbox and I decided to finally delve into Morrowind. Prior to that, I had never truly played a game like Morrowind before let alone held an Xbox controller in my hand. The trip from Seyda Neen to Balmora felt like the journey from the Shire to Mount Doom as I was so uncoordinated that I couldn't even figure out how to navigate with the map. I also had a penchant for stealing from shops and then promptly getting killed by guards.

I played Morrowind alone for nearly a whole year. Morrowind left a lingering desire in me for more, so I played most of the games that Bethesda released after that and I delved into modding when Fallout 3 came out. I made a few private mods and then gave up on them and repeated this cycle for New Vegas and Skyrim.

After Skyrim, I went into a lull, I just couldn't find a game like Morrowind again. I also found myself slowing becoming detached from gaming and not finishing games anymore. I don't quite remember how but I eventually found myself playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown and when I discovered what "Ironman Mode" was, it reinvigorated me. I'm not sure what the exact connection was, but you could probably say it was the challenge that reminded me of my Morrowind days. XCOM then became the gateway that led me into digging up all the classic games and then I eventually hit Battle Brothers. To this day, I still haven't found a game that handles turn-based melee combat better than BB.

But I digress, all I really wanted to say is that I truly love gaming and it's a shame that the industry is changing too much for my own tastes. That is the main reason why I got into game development, I just want to do my part to better gaming for the future.

When the store page first went live, I mentioned that I was finally at the starting line. In hindsight, I was wrong. Only now, am I truly at the starting line, prior to that you could say I was just warming up.

Dead Monarchy is now officially in Early Access and so I wanted to celebrate a little by showing you my progress over the years.
I first started in the Unreal Engine just doing basic prototypes and trying to implement some of the ideas I had written down on paper into the prototype.

fa7798563b37e9f7ac70b29a1a7ac5260d550b0c.jpg

However, I switched over to the Unity Engine as the scope of my game increased and I needed the help of the Asset store. At the time, I actually had a completely different art style and the game wasn't really even "medieval". It was more post-apocalyptic mainly because I needed to find a consistent art style. I knew I had to use 3rd party assets if I wanted to come close to achieving what I was after.

713ae400330c4cb195eedac70d40537a838344ff.png

After a year or so, the asset store grew and I was putting together a list on the side of potential assets I could use that were more medieval and closer to the art style and setting that I truly wanted. I had also started to do more work on the UI, prior to that every time you wanted to move a unit, you had to go into the menu and click on the move command first. So, I made the transition to a more realistic art style but in the process, I had to scrap a year's worth of work.

d71a145a09ec118485291f3c91d68bd33a35791b.jpg

bff190f3e2c1cf9f4ce54e3952d489d2199aa62c.jpg

By now, I had a rough UI and the basic combat framework was done, but there was one major issue, "elevation". I can't really recall playing a 3D turn-based tactical game with an emphasis on melee combat that also had an elevation system. After playing so much Battle Brothers, it was just something I couldn't do without. So my initial plan was to cut up the terrain and use terrain blocks. The problem was that the elevation just looked too unnatural for me to bear.

56f643268483b0d3c795baee971b60ceb8acbf0d.jpg

38451c639176a312ff59e3a3cc9a7747e8f282ee.jpg

I tried and tried but just couldn't get anything to work and so I had to make the painful decision of leaving it out. The other issue was that my natural environments just looked terrible. So I made the shift over to "man-made" structures and at that time, I settled on doing a gladiator management style game. Basically, you would hire warriors then fight in tourneys.

8a79672c65c1b682d08448c1b3c13b223a84dca7.jpg

ea69986ef64ce6948e9a15b476166879d26c9cc3.jpg

However, it still just wasn't the game I truly wanted to make, yet I had already used up more or less all my life savings on development. For a time, I contemplated on just releasing the "gladiator-esque" game and calling it a day. Deep down though, I just couldn't do it, despite the financial pressure I was facing, I didn't want to release hot garbage. Then one day when I was fooling around with the Unity terrain system, I made a square brush to the exact grid size I wanted and poof, somewhat natural terrain that could still conform to a grid was made.

ad7f3c571eacf01df28747c00b76b2c2b83cd49f.jpg

ae23d9cf3ac5ceb4d96f31ed9ac6f4553988e562.jpg

The look of the natural environments improved drastically as the terrain was no longer just a flat surface. However, the problem was that the terrain was static and it took ages to paint. Due to the static nature, I couldn't see myself manually painting in all the terrain. I had also been playtesting a lot and playing the same map got dull especially because the AI would always do the same thing. Creating a few more maps didn't solve the issue either, it was just prolonging the inevitable. Eventually it would just be me playing the same 5 maps over and over instead of just the one map.

During this time I was also facing internal family issues and I decided to sell my house and downsize and move back in with my family as opposed to living alone. The other reason was because I wanted to raise more funds for development. At this point, game development had almost become an extremely expensive hobby. Like Warhammer, only for people who really loved to live on the edge. I remember asking myself, should I take on 3 jobs just so I can get a couple sets of exclusive and custom armor modeled.

I knew if I wanted to push onto the next level, I needed the money. I needed it to hire freelancers, there was just no other way around it. I even considered kickstarter, but I didn't think I had the right to do it and I still haven't changed my opinion on that.

So I sold my house, decided to hold off on buying a car and put aside a sizable amount of funds into the war chest for development. I didn't want to settle on just 10 armors, so I scaled up, I didn't want to settle on 3rd party weapons, so I scaled up. I also wanted to implement some form of random terrain generation and combat with more than 6 units that utilised formations so I had to put a lot of money towards that. Random map generation was my solution to the terrain issue. I basically designed the individual tiles by hand and then used an algorithm to generate the elevations. What you see below is the result of that and also what the game currently looks like.

63bb1bfe82a6294f609c32ae5235e1d724848255.jpg

e109d93f1a7e4f551a09a602667a5b3f9a51725d.jpg

That more or less brings things up to the present day. I know it's almost like I'm doing my victory lap before the race even started, but I do feel like I have closed one chapter. There is no doubt in my mind that there is a lot more work ahead of me, but I am looking forward to it. I am looking forward to it because I now have a community. Even if this game never gets big, knowing that a few players are actually enjoying my game is enough for me. It's enough because I would have released what I really wanted to release instead of just serving half a broken dream.

If anything, the point of this story was just to tell you that I am truly dedicated to the development of this game. I have gone through too many headaches and heartbreaks to just stop now. The beauty of being a solo developer is that there is no real ongoing costs aside from when I need the help of a freelancer, to pay the bills or to get myself nourishment so I don't collapse. I can keep working on this game, continuing to polish it. The downside is that I may take longer than a team since I can't work on this full time.

I also know what it feels like to play a game that never seems to get finished. That is why I have designed Dead Monarchy the way it is now. That is why I decided to develop the world map separately whilst getting feedback on the combat system.

Even without a world map, there is still some form of freedom. You are not completing linear missions. You are selecting which missions to go on based on what buildings you want to upgrade and balancing the risks and rewards to build up your forces to be strong enough to take down the "Monarchs". In a way, it is a contained experience.

Again, I'd like to thank each and everyone from the ENTIRE community that has formed around Dead Monarchy. Not just the Steam community either, but the members from other forums like Rpgcodex, Rpgwatch, Iron Tower Forums, MnB forums and the Banner Saga Forums. Thank you for going on this journey with me and I hope you guys stick around!

Cheers,
Kevin.

vazha

Arcane
Congrats on the release!
p.s. Now go and give us a good story and setting. :P

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seriously man, good luck. Will this be out on itch.io and other platforms?

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
maps just ending in black void looks kind of weird

Yeah I suppose it's more exaggerated and obvious in 3D space, especially with the flexibility of the camera. I actually did play around with adding in "filler environments", but I took them out due to performance. I don't think I'll leave it like that, but right now I'm still optimizing the game and the new terrain tiles are heavier on performance than the old ones I was using. The old demo 0.2.0 on IndieDB didn't have the void if I remember correctly and you can check it out if you are curious.

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
maps just ending in black void looks kind of weird

Didn't look that weird in Disgaea
disgaea-1-complete-1.jpg

I haven't played Disgaea but it's 2D right? It's less obvious in 2D and the size of the maps and design make a difference. Like Battle Brothers had the black void too but again it's 2D and the size of the map is quite big so you never really reach the edges of the maps too often. But yeah I am aware of it. Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Please, please go where no Battle Brother has gone before and make a proper campaign for this. Anyway, I bought it, but won't play it until (if) this game gets further in development. Good luck :salute:

Iron Balls McGinty

Sounds and looks very interesting, was on my wishlist and cheap so I bought it.

Good luck and heres to stinking kevin!

*raises glass*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom