Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Well this game won’t be as fun as the first time - it’s not even “nostalgia”, but you can experience something for the first time only once, same with a “I’ve seen it in WC3!” Novelty... and when I remember the timesink it is I just shudder at the thought.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Leveling takes by far the most time. Like I said, you can raid log once a week for 3 hours to clear the two most recent raids available and be done with the game for the week while still getting the most relevant epics and items. The barrier is guild politics, not the design of the game.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Leveling takes by far the most time. Like I said, you can raid log once a week for 3 hours to clear the two most recent raids available and be done with the game for the week while still getting the most relevant epics and items. The barrier is guild politics, not the design of the game.
Does it though? How long will it take to get your first epic? Or to be BIS for raiding?

molotov.

Novice
I've great memories of the leveling experience. When I played on a blizzlike private server back in 2008, leveling on STV was something unique that I've never experienced in a game again, the tension and adrenaline were something incredible.
Do I reccomend playing it on 2019 when we are old with not enough free time? Well... I would reccomend you grabing your character and leveling it up to 60 because the leveling experience is truly unique, after that is up to you.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
You don't need to be BiS to clear MC, I still had my +damage gear from leveling on when I got Benediction. Which was my first epic and I got it on my second MC clear. It really depends on luck, I got the items I wanted from dungeons very fast. If you have a good group going, it doesn't consume all that much time.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I do try my best when I'm in sluts, that's true. Anyway, pre-raid BiS is a bit of a misnomer, since a lot of dungeon drops are better than MC gear by a long shot, so some of the blues you get, you are gonna use till BWL. Outside of that, striving for BiS is neither needed nor requested for MC. It's tougher if you are a DPS, but healers and tanks get in without much fuss as long as the tanks are def capped.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
True. But I was more mocking the hunt for BiS. I'm not sure someone new to WoW Classic would want to put up with the nonsense of guild politics to chase after BiS -- and by the time they got close another raid tier is probably released. I think Classic is best enjoyed at a casual pace and maybe some small raid (ZG/AQ20) pugs. I will play Classic a bit but I don't have much desire to get to know a whole team of new people to join a guild to raid.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm getting surgery on my shoulder so I'll be in a sling for a month and off work for around 2. On top of that I only have summer classes 3 days a week, and I crashed my car so not like I'm going to be really going out anywhere. How much could I get out of the game if I played like 5 hours for five days a week for about a month and a half, because that's about the time I've been putting in to other games atm.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I'm getting surgery on my shoulder so I'll be in a sling for a month and off work for around 2. On top of that I only have summer classes 3 days a week, and I crashed my car so not like I'm going to be really going out anywhere. How much could I get out of the game if I played like 5 hours for five days a week for about a month and a half, because that's about the time I've been putting in to other games atm.
If you pick hunter and go BM you could have a hell of a time without jeopardizing anything to do with your arm from exertion.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I think the only way you wouldn't be bored out of your mind within a few hours is if doc gave you some crazy ass drugs and you're stoned while playing

Anyway didn't we say about 10 days /played to max level? So you'd be about 80 hours short of 60

Last edited:

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
but raiding needs flasks and other consumables, so you can't log in just to raid, you gotta farm those.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Time investment MMO's take is vastly overrated, what it takes is a schedule. There is also the fact that if you want to, you can play MMOs almost constantly. I think people just become hyperaware that it takes long-term time investment but some of the people who say it takes too much time play other games way more.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Time investment MMO's take is vastly overrated, what it takes is a schedule. There is also the fact that if you want to, you can play MMOs almost constantly. I think people just become hyperaware that it takes long-term time investment but some of the people who say it takes too much time play other games way more.

It's because mmos, especially those that copied the wow formula, typically aren't fun or remotely challenging until end game. And getting to end game requires 240+ hours of in game grinding.

Games in other genres are fun right from the beginning and don't require you to slodge through a 240 hour tutorial

Cromwell

Arcane

most of the people that complained that only no lifers could get anywhere were just shit at the game and just spend double the time standing around somewhere chatting with their friends.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Anyone going to be playing the Classic stress test they are starting later today?
It says that it's US & Oceania only. I'm not so sure, though, cause I can log in and see a dozen of offline servers.

If they let me in, I'm gonna play the shit out of it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You don't need to be BiS to clear MC... Benediction.

You get a lot more leeway on the BiS requirement as a priest, but it still depends on how anal your guild is, and the people on private servers are as anal as you get. I burned off my nostalgia on Nostalrius so i'm not particularly looking forward to classic but i might be tempted if the people playing are not as high strung as they usually are on private servers. I took a warrior to 60 and couldn't find a spot as a tank because anything less than T2 was a no go. Nobody is willing to "try" anything people just go for maximum efficiency and as a warrior you are better off going as DPS, get tank gear as off-spec, respect once you are fully decked and start your own guild or make money by tanking for pugs. Vanilla was a lot less autistic because the higher number of n00bs just allowed for more varied possibilities. I remember tanking some high level instances with my paladin in vanilla (i had to respect for raids though). Never saw a single pally tank on private servers. Meme specs not allowed it seems.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The top guilds are probably anal about it, but I wasn't in the top guild yet when they told me it doesn't really matter and I should go anyway. I had just dinged 60 and had gone once with the guild master and some other peeps to Stratholme. We killed everything in MC without breaking a sweat. This was very early in the server's lifetime, probably 2 to 3 months max after it launched. As for unpopular specs, it depends on the amount of memeness, balance druids and prot paladins are a no-no, but some guilds take an enh shaman with Nightfall (as opposed to a warrior with one) or a shadow priest (as opposed to a Holy/Shadow hybrid that can keep up the debuff while being more useful) for example. And even then, if your guild master is playing a druid, like ours was, he can force his way into being balance for some raids that are on farm.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
And it's got more walking than any walking simulator you can think of, and the walking is slow too. Mounts and flight paths help with that, but even then it's still slower than most walking sims (spending minutes riding around from destination to destination in-game is pretty normal),

Hehe, someone never played EQ~

WoW was crazy easy to get around, especially with the fiat connections it threw you like the zeppelin that connected Ograimmar to Undercity.

The weird paradox of WoW was that they made travel so easy it was more annoying than EQs epic trips, because all it made you think was why it couldn't be cut down further. You'd have to suck up the 2 hour run from Qeynos to Freeport (and possible multiple corpse retrievals that could eat up a whole day) if you couldn't get a port because the latter could be too unreliable to get from other players. Compare that to the flight paths that were always there (Thanks to them eventually making it near impossible to camp wind riders in PvP...) that just made you wonder why they couldn't just be instant.

Some people claim launch day is an experience that shouldn't be missed. Others will tell you it's retarded to sign up for those kinds of godawful queues, server instability, emergency maintenance, and so forth.

From what I've gatherd playing EQ prog servers, it's not really worth it to be there at launch, but after a few days when things ease it's foolish to wait any longer. MMOs are ephemeral with the best bits often being the launch of a fresh server and the collective anticpation that comes with it. To miss that early bit even by a few weeks can leave you missing a lot.

I can't imagine playing Vanilla on a PVE server. You need that thrill and excitement of being attacked at any moment to make the constant running around not turn you into an alcoholic.

It's what made me quit above all else. Once BGs came out no one bothered fighting back, they simply wanted to die quick and continue on their journey.

I've seen a screenshot by Joana of 4-5 days, and heard a rumor there is one by someone else that is dramatically less (but requires a lot of cooperation with others e.g. summoning and portals).

Yes. For a player with good knowledge of the game, it's 7-9 days (mostly solo). Can be 20 days if you don't know what you're doing or like to take your time.

I could see that with someone doing it without much sleep. I got to max after about 2 weeks just aiming for at least 3 levels a day while one guy in my guild got it in abuot a week.

Even then I found it annoying how short it was compared to EQ where the grind was so great it allowed you the freedom to ease back and take it a bit slower since it hit everyone hard.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
There's a lot of fun to be had if you're fairly new to WoW or just vanilla taking your time and leveling engineering as you go instead of speedrunning.

Xorphitus

Scholar
Initially they had 10 servers open yesterday evening but then decided there wasn't enough stress so they cut it down to two servers and then started adding the others as time passed. Made trying to complete quests in the starter areas annoying. I grouped up with a couple of warriors and left the starter zone to grind mobs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom