Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Bloodstained - Koji Igarashi's new metroidvania game

flyingjohn

Arcane
A couple of technical impressions :

-No ability to choose hardest difficulty immediately
-Controller support is minimal and i had to use x360ce(if you are having trouble runnign the emu,stick in the shipping exe folder)
-Keyboard controls seem fine but you can't bind enter and escape to anything.
-Performance is fine so far
-Animations are not at original castleavnia levels,but have been significantly improved from what was shown months ago.

Jinn

Arcane

Thanks for this piece of info. Looks like I'll be waiting for impressions on the default difficulty before I drop the cash on this. Hopefully it provides a decent challenge.

But come on, in this day and age just let me pick a hard setting from the beginning. Kind of silly...

Also

-Controller support is minimal and i had to use x360ce(if you are having trouble runnign the emu,stick in the shipping exe folder)

What the fuck is this shit? Game clearly designed to play with a controller has bad controller support. Get your shit together guys.

Okagron

Prophet
I honestly forgot this game was gonna be a thing, it feels like it's been in development for ages. Added to my wishlist though.

flyingjohn

Arcane

Thanks for this piece of info. Looks like I'll be waiting for impressions on the default difficulty before I drop the cash on this. Hopefully it provides a decent challenge.

But come on, in this day and age just let me pick a hard setting from the beginning. Kind of silly...

Also

What the fuck is this shit? Game clearly designed to play with a controller has bad controller support. Get your shit together guys.
If you have a xbox controller you aren't gonna have problems.
But after xseed amazing controller support i am disappointed.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Loads of devs rely on steam doing it. Steam supports using almost any controller on any game launched through steam. The steam overlay allows you to rebind controller stuff on the fly too in game. Why bother with much controller support if your game doesn't feature analog type controls when steam does it for you? often you'd find preconfigured bindings for games that don't have native support, for 360/one, ps4 and switch controllers. And the dinput oldies.

Jinn

Arcane
You can, though:

Yeah, I actually found this out shortly after posting that. Temptation is growing...

Loads of devs rely on steam doing it. Steam supports using almost any controller on any game launched through steam. The steam overlay allows you to rebind controller stuff on the fly too in game. Why bother with much controller support if your game doesn't feature analog type controls when steam does it for you? often you'd find preconfigured bindings for games that don't have native support, for 360/one, ps4 and switch controllers. And the dinput oldies.

Fair point. Just thought that him bringing it up as a negative meant that it was a bigger problem than steam just taking over and it being fine. Like the D-Pad didn't work or something.

EDIT: Aaaand bought it. Fuck it, I'm in the mood and the only other Metroidvania I'm looking forward to that's on the horizon is Silksong.

Last edited:

randir14

Augur
I just had a weird crash. I opened the inventory and Miriam's head was missing, then the game froze.

Curratum

Just played for 40-ish minutes, died 3 times on the first boss, found a secret and got to the actual castle, then just a couple of rooms into it.

As a massive SotN fan, I have to say this is MASSIVE incline. Off to actually buy the thing! :shittydog:

Jinn

Arcane
Just played for 40-ish minutes, died 3 times on the first boss, found a secret and got to the actual castle, then just a couple of rooms into it.

As a massive SotN fan, I have to say this is MASSIVE incline. Off to actually buy the thing! :shittydog:

Was that on "Normal" difficulty?

bataille

Arcane
Looks like the hard mode gives bosses extra attacks. The first one gets a geyser beam that you have to avoid by... hiding behind the enemies that the boss spawns. I must say that this change alone makes the fight both very brutal and more interesting. And after all those easy metroidvanias having only around 5 hit points is very refreshing.

The bad thing, however, is an assortment of little weird glitches and apparent lack of polish. Which is strange considering how long it was in development. Kinda hard to believe they didn't have time to proofread the dialogue or resolve some minor stability issues.

Overall, the first hour was very positive. The game has this very distinct order of ecclesia feel to it. The abundance of secrets was a nice surprise, too. Not much innovation, but nobody was expecting anything experimental. Very interested in continuing.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
What's your favorite weapon so far? I'm partial to kick attacks, especially with the shoes that have a blade in them. Fast and kills almost everything in a matter of seconds

CyberModuled

Savant
Shame they seem to lock all difficulty modes other than Normal until you beat it the first time (though I guess there should be plenty of replay value from other aspects of the game).

Played through Touhou Luna Nights for a couple nights as a Metroidvania warm up and it's hard going from excellent sprite work to just okay-ish 3D models and backgrounds but I'm sure the rest of the game is going to make up for it in the long run (already quite liked the beta and they've definitely made minor graphical improvements here and there).

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I actually like the backgrounds a lot, but the 3d-models for the characters look stiff and somewhat mechanic, sprites would have been superior

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Filename codes (case sensitive):

8MEGAPOWER - free starter weapon with ATK 15
Akuma - unlocks the Dominus backer Sword for Clan Akumajo. It's a weapon called "Dominus", and also gives ATK 15.
BIGHEAD - enables Bighead mode :balance:
NIGHTMARE - unlocks Nightmare difficulty

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like the hard mode gives bosses extra attacks. The first one gets a geyser beam that you have to avoid by... hiding behind the enemies that the boss spawns. I must say that this change alone makes the fight both very brutal and more interesting. And after all those easy metroidvanias having only around 5 hit points is very refreshing.

The bad thing, however, is an assortment of little weird glitches and apparent lack of polish. Which is strange considering how long it was in development. Kinda hard to believe they didn't have time to proofread the dialogue or resolve some minor stability issues.

Overall, the first hour was very positive. The game has this very distinct order of ecclesia feel to it. The abundance of secrets was a nice surprise, too. Not much innovation, but nobody was expecting anything experimental. Very interested in continuing.

Is this Nightmare mode or Hard? How do you unlock hard from the start?

Curratum

Any idea what you're supposed to do with the
8-bit coin
?

Jinn

Arcane
Is this Nightmare mode or Hard? How do you unlock hard from the start?

Yeah, I'm getting confused as to if people are referring to "Nightmare Mode" as Hard Mode, or if an actual "Hard Mode" exists as well.

EDIT: Jenkem, if you start a save file NIGHTMARE, you have a choice of all the difficulty modes. I'm starting my game on "Hard."

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Hard seems like a good starting point with the game. I'll be sticking with it and exploring Nightmare in subsequent playthroughs. Very happy with my initial impressions of this. Development was looking pretty rocky there for a good long time, but it seems like they came through and brought it all together in the end. Glad they took their time.

Curratum

I was actually a KS backer, but brought my pledge to $1 because of initial concerns over the art style and fidelity of visuals. I was sure the game was going to be a joke but that "Old shit -> New" trailer really turned things around.

The fact that the game plays so much like SotN is great too. You know it's a true Vania when your primary mode of movement is sliding. :bounce:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom