Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Age of Wonders: Planetfall - AoW gone to space

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Is the campaign in AoW3 any good? Just installing AoW1 :>
Nah,the first three games are far better in the campaign than AoW 3. I have finished them countless times but i couldn't finish AoW3,it is very generic at best.

vota DC

Augur
AOW 1 has the best campaign but choices were all in the debriefing section. Once you have chosen the faction all is set. AOW 3 give you more freedom to choose in final missions, the last one of the expansion was very interesting.
Both AOW 2 and 3 fail to give the same epic feeling of AOW 1. In Aow 1 you were racing east toward the valley gathering allies, it reminds Aragorn's path after he left the Fellowship. In AOW 3 some races and classes tend to side with Commonwealth or Elven Court but the borders aren't clear as the first game.

Is the campaign in AoW3 any good? Just installing AoW1 :>
Nah,the first three games are far better in the campaign than AoW 3. I have finished them countless times but i couldn't finish AoW3,it is very generic at best.

But aow2 vanilla has JULIOCH!

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Thanks! Just starting it now, I had trouble with high resolution because everything was so small. Lower resolution is better =) The music got me so damn excited though. Best game ever and it is like 300mb.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
That was fun. First map down, did it on medium cuz I'm slick like that :P Haven't played it for 10 years but I remember everything because this game was my life.

It is a bit easy to exploit the game and AI though. The balance is tight so if you do anything to get the upper hand, you can usually make your lead snowball into a bigger lead and the AI shits itself. And there are so many little tricks that really help, like if you have a strong bunch of units next to an enemy city but you aren't strong enough to take it yet, you can split them up and have them hang around on multiple hexes near the city which lowers the city's income. And you can fake the AI so as he attacks you, you move at the same time and go behind him that turn and attack some of his small units at the back. You can even move at the same second he attacks you and sometimes that causes him to split his armies. Get a slight upper hand and he becomes too scared to attack you. And once you have him on the run you can just push the cities and the AI flees all the way back to his capitol city and then you can just wait as many turns as you want with the whole map in your control and only attack him once you are easily strong enough. Also the mana/research thing lets you stop research once you have the spells you want and put all points into mana which lets you summon whole armies of boars or frogs or whatever. And also knowing which spells are good and weak really helps. I find that Enchanted Weapon and Stone Skin (preferably Physical Immunity) on a higher level hero can make them godly. Later on you can even put holy champion and fire halo and various other stuff on him. I love how you even buff your entire army in this game, I think they removed or reduced that in the later games.

Probably the biggest exploit (or pro tactic depending on your point of view) is to have your hero unit land the killing blow on everything. So use your units to injure the enemies, and use your hero to finish them off and it pumps his levels up. And soon he gets so strong that you can just send him alone to kill entire cities and it snowballs into him becoming over powered. I find it really fun though. AoW3 nerfed the hell out of that and it may require more strategy but for me it is less fun. Also save scumming can make a huge difference in this game. Enemy attacks and you do auto fight, lose every unit and he loses none. Reload and same. Reload and randomly you get much better rolls and end up winning. I don't like to do that though cuz that seems too exploity.

But overall... this game is a challenge but you can really kick the games ass if you want to and play it right. I still love it after all this time. I do miss various quality of life things from the newer games though. Keyboard shortcuts, etc. In high rez text/numbers are tiny. Also in tactical combat if you select your ranged unit like an archer and then click it on an enemy, he doesn't attack. First you gotta click his ability in the list first and then click the enemy. I can live with it though.

p.s. Stacks of 8 units seems way more fun to me.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Heroes can't become so overpowered with levels, neither their hp, nor their damage, nor their defenses scale with levels. Only items can change these statistics. That came in some other game in the series, I think. They get new abilities, which are pretty good, but overall they remain quite squishy. They can do quite a lot of damage with spells, but it depends on the map and how many mana nodes you can secure. The further you get into the campaign, the fewer easily available nodes it has and the big spells cost quite a lot. You can, however, import higher tier of units once the map allows it and dominate quite fast.

The AI is indeed dumb and you can decimate entire armies with a small fighting force or have a specialized one that is good at killing leaders, since that's all it's needed to win.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
In AoW1? You can definitely change hero stats as you level, boost their HP, defence, etc. With the right stuff (and items) a single hero can kill a whole stack of top tier stuff. But that's mostly on the big scenario maps with lots of loot and having the right spells is essential too. (Physical Immunity really is uber!) The abilities can make a big difference too, stuff like Dominate can quickly end up with a whole new stack of units that are all stolen. Also stuff like First Strike is a must on melee heroes. A fully boosted hero can solo kill easier cities and even some of the loot dungeon things. But I like to have an a whole stack of hero units or at least about 4 and back them up with 4 uber units. 4 op heroes can kill anything! But it is still a challenge. On the little map you only have to tip the scales vs 1 enemy but the big maps with multiple enemies mean you can't waste time bullying one AI because the others are building up in that time. I also love it when you have an underground or 2 undergrounds so you think you won by capturing most of the stuff on the surface and then you find an undead or something that has an entire empire underground.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Here's the difference between the same hero from my own playthrough, 22 levels apart -

TRiKC6Y.jpg

The difference of 1 attack is due to Leadership I think. Unless I've missed something incredibly big, the heroes don't scale their statistics.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Here's the difference between the same hero from my own playthrough, 22 levels apart -

The difference of 1 attack is due to Leadership I think. Unless I've missed something incredibly big, the heroes don't scale their statistics.
They don't. You have to pick +stat options on level up. Is it the first one?
I pumped ATT and DEF as high as possible on mine for unlimited counterstrikes (with a life stealing weapon) and didn't bother with troops for the latest maps.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, it's AoW1. I've never been given the option to pump stats, though, unless it isn't obvious and I managed to somehow miss it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yea you can pump the stats! It isn't that obvious though, it puts tiny arrows by the stats. At my resolution I can barely read anything but I lowered the res and it is ok. It kinda exploits the game though if you boost the heroes so much. A bunch of heroes with high stats, full sets of gear, full sets of buffs, and all the uber abilities (first strike, parry, etc) and your 1 stack can rule the world! But the campaign might be more balanced.

exe

Augur
Maybe you should switch your avatar Lacrymas, since you are blind. SuperHeroes who can solo entire mission is a big complain about AoW1. I like it tho.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yea you can pump the stats! It isn't that obvious though, it puts tiny arrows by the stats. At my resolution I can barely read anything but I lowered the res and it is ok. It kinda exploits the game though if you boost the heroes so much. A bunch of heroes with high stats, full sets of gear, full sets of buffs, and all the uber abilities (first strike, parry, etc) and your 1 stack can rule the world! But the campaign might be more balanced.
Nope, it isn't, but it only breaks down in the last 10% or so if you go this road.

Back to Plan etfall, I just saw the trailer, and it looks like the Dino Rider games I always wanted :)
dino-riders-box-art-D_NQ_NP_695664-MLM28597327613_112018-F.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
I guess I'm blind lol. I'll take that into consideration when I start the Cult of Storms campaign. The one stack that can dominate the entire map thing can be done without superheroes when fighting as the undead. Just transfer a few Reapers and it's done. A single wraith can also destroy armies since they are immune to physical attacks.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Think my only real beef with Aow 1 and 2 is that my sovereign dude has to be a mage of some sort. Fuck mages.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Boosted Orc Warlords are a beautiful thing :) And yea all those special units are awesome. I remember having airships that wipe out entire armies because they don't fight back (because they can't). You can even go into battle with a mage and an airship, have the mage nuke to death any ranged enemies, then have the mage leave the map. And the airship can kill everything else while it stands around. I'll try to play legit though :P It can be fun to play it properly too, multiple stacks in different parts of the map is fun. Defending while attacking, and attacking 2 directions at once. Bit of stress makes it exciting.

visions

Arcane
Magic in 1 is kinda weak tho, turning yourself into a melee monster is far superior at the start. Unit enchantments are king.

Defense 10 with Spell Casting V and Healing Water is great for tanking with your leader though. Theoretically 60+ HP per battle, assuming you manage to heal yourself in time. Add Wall Climbing and you have a one man army. Basically, if you want to solo a lot of stuff with your leader get Water Magic and Healing Water. On the downside, playing like this I usually end up excessively hoarding my channeling points to cast a lot of Healing Water.

I usually play with Water Magic but I'm currently playing the Cult campaign w/o Water Magic and the difference is huge. Usually I solo a lot of stuff with my leader but w/o Healing Water it's too risky a lot of time even with Def 10. It's fun having to rely on troops more and not being able to solo armies for a change though.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah healing water is uber. I took water magic, I think one white and one green too. It defaulted to 2 water but I like Stone Skin. I didn't want to change anything else though because it could be too easy. I nearly replaced the default Archery with Dominate but figured it would be too op.

visions

Arcane
Earth magic is good. Gold Rush, Entangle, Poison Plants and Freedom of Movement (cast this on ships) are all great spells. Stoning is good for direct damage.

Not sure if Archery has any advantages compared to Hurl Stones or Poison Darts (I think it doesn't). I usually take Poison Darts for my ranged attack.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I like Hurl Stones it seems reliable at landing and doing damage. Also the ice shards spells seems really strong. Another spell I like to have is town portal. You can run one stack of OP stuff, go where you want, wait for AI to sneak in your back door and you portal onto him and turn a disaster into a win.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Not that I want to disrupt the far more interesting conversation about AoW1, but here's a 1 hour video of the Assembly in action that just popped into my recommendations -

I haven't watched it because I don't want to waste my time like this, but if someone wants to know something specific, here's the chance. I sniped a few snippets here and there, and they are by far the coolest race and they have some neat designs, like the Inspector (20:10). I can't help but feel this game would've been far more awesome and creative had it been 2D. We need a 2D Renaissance.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I am excite! But, I gotta wonder... How did they go from having no money to make AoW3 to having all that money to make this big flashy blingy high tech AoW4? I just hope it doesn't need to sell 10m copies to break even.

Norfleet

Nope, this is pretty much classic AoW. Create Doomstack, roflstomp all in your path. Restricted narratives like the Story Campaigns actually exacerbate this more than Open Worlds. Doomstacks have been with us since AOW1, and the developers previously voiced hostile attitudes towards tactics that promote small actions, like raiding resource buildings, which they characterized as "griefing".

You may not like it, but this is what peak AOW looks like.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
My doomstack is better than yours bro.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom