Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Not "treating": like it or not, it is canon. This isn't some Star Wars situation, where a different company took over the entire franchise: WotC considers the Enhanced Edition characters as canon, and has inserted their mentions in other media.
ffs, nuke it from orbit already.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I guess it's icing on the cake for the fact that out of all the characters, not only is Aerie the only one you can impregnate, but they even go so far as to have her give birth in game.

The most annoying character romances. Tbh, all of them suck.

Ruchy

Scholar
As someone that has not played 5th ed Tabletop, how well would it translate to a Turn based CRPG?
I assume this is what we will be getting by the way, I see no reason why a studio would come in off the back of two successful TB rpgs and make some kind of NWN shit show.

Sentinel

Arcane
As someone that has not played 5th ed Tabletop, how well would it translate to a Turn based CRPG?
I assume this is what we will be getting by the way, I see no reason why a studio would come in off the back of two successful TB rpgs and make some kind of NWN shit show.
It's the most suitable to a videogame while keeping the D&D formula intact D&D has ever been.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's the most suitable to a videogame while keeping the D&D formula intact D&D has ever been.
4th edition would have been solid for a computer game. atari never bothered though

The only mechanic which would cause any grief to convert would be the "reaction". It would be simple enough to work into turn-based, but very difficult to translate into RTwP. Reactions are very important in 5E.

Sentinel

Arcane
4th edition would have been solid for a computer game. atari never bothered though
4E was shit though.

Sacibengala

Prophet
I tend to think that Minsc is not the "real" one due to the simple fact that he's young: his epilogue clearly states that he continued adventuring for many years, so obviously he must've gotten old/middle aged. His "recreated" self is young again, and the only times he recalls someone/something from his past is when either:
A. He directly meets said person (Coran).
B. Is VERY similar to said person (one of his companions is an elven wild mage with white hair, whom he mistakes for Neera).

Other than that, it's like the past didn't exist for him. No stories, no anecdotes, no mentions of past glorious asskickings - nothing.
It would be great if this is addressed in the new game. He as a doppelganger or whatever fake minsc with existential crisis.

nikolokolus

Arcane
4E was shit though.
A terrible D&D game, (and RPG, generally speaking), but it would have made for a perfectly playable tactical, minis wargame, or a combat-oriented video game.

Codex Year of the Donut
4E was shit though.
A terrible D&D game, (and RPG, generally speaking), but it would have made for a perfectly playable tactical, minis wargame, or a combat-oriented video game.
nobody ever played 4E so nobody could know this

nikolokolus

Arcane
4E was shit though.
Sadly I did for about 6 months before I bailed from a long-time PnP group.

nikolokolus

Arcane
4E was shit though.
Preoperative-multiple-upper-arm-self-harm-scars-Similar-scars-are-replicated-across-both.png

RaptorRex888

Learned
4E was shit though.
Preoperative-multiple-upper-arm-self-harm-scars-Similar-scars-are-replicated-across-both.png
Haha made you look

Fairfax

Arcane

The only mechanic which would cause any grief to convert would be the "reaction". It would be simple enough to work into turn-based, but very difficult to translate into RTwP. Reactions are very important in 5E.
It wouldn't be simple in either system. For instance, Counterspell allows you to try and interrupt a creature casting a spell. It automatically cancels spells of the same level or lower than the slot used for Counterspell. For higher levels, the user must pass an ability check with a DC of 10 + the spell's level. The player doesn't know what spell is being cast or its level (for obvious reasons). Additionally, you can Counterspell another Counterspell. If the UI and the animations revealed the spell and/or its level, the spell would become significantly stronger.

And that's just Counterspell. There are other reactions to be considered, such as:

Opportunity Attacks - These are not free in 5E. Characters only have 1 reaction per round, so if they spend it to make an opportunity attack, they can't use another reaction in that same round.

Shield - When hit by an attack or targeted by magic missile, you can cast this spell to give a +5 bonus to your AC/take no damage from magic missiles. This happens after you're hit but before you take any damage, so that's another step of the process where the player would need an opportunity to react.

Uncanny Dodge [5th-level Rogue trait] - "when an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to halve the attack's damage against you".

Absorb Elements - When you take acid/cold/fire/lightning/thunder damage, you can cast this spell to gain resistance (halved damage) to the triggering type until the start of your next turn. The player would need an opportunity to spend their reaction after the spell/attack has landed, but before their HP is reduced.

And many more: the Protection fighting style, Battlemaster's Riposte and Parry, over a dozen Paladin abilities, Lore Bard's Cutting Words, War Wizard's Arcane Deflection, War Caster and Shield Master feats, etc.

Some reactions are exclusive to subclasses/feats and could be ignored in an adaptation without them, but some are very important to their respective classes and couldn't be removed without significantly shifting 5E's balance. Wizards and Sorcerers (plus other multiclassed builds and subclasses) would be significantly nerfed without Counterspell and Shield. Rogues are significantly more fragile without Uncanny Dodge. The game as a whole is balanced around opportunity attacks and their limitations. The list goes on.

In order to adapt the RAW/RAI, the game would have limited options:
  1. Make all attack and spellcasting animations slow enough that players have time to react with a context menu and/or pause to choose the reaction. Only viable in a RtwP system without simultaneous resolutions, otherwise characters would have to either delay their action or miss the opportunity entirely. Most players would hate this for obvious reasons, and most combat animations would have to look silly. Not really an option.
  2. Automatically pause every time the PCs have a reaction available. Many (if not most) would find this annoying in both TB and RtwP.
In short, Larian is not adapting the reactions as written. And to be fair, I don't think anybody would.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom