Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 181 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Terenty

Liturgist
Anyone else think mm9 had the best plot and best side quests in the series? From 6 to 9 i mean, havent played dos games

Terenty

Liturgist
No, due to moving off the Enroth planet and into (ugh) Axeoth.

I thought the twists and turns in the plot with gods manipulating and faking fates were rather entertaining.

And JVC wasnt the main guy behind the game?

T. Reich

Arcane
Anyone else think mm9 had the best plot and best side quests in the series? From 6 to 9 i mean, havent played dos games
Let me recap:
Young not-vikings go on a pillaging raid, get shipwrecked on a cursed island instead.
Get told by an ugly old troll lady that you are PROPHECISED to form the not-viking United Nations and save them from the not-Mongol hordes that are coming a-pillaging.
Get saddled with some dodgy-looking fellow who just won't leave you and provides nothing of value, lest you can't leave the island.
Visit a bunch of cities with mostly senile rulers, perform a whole lot of convoluted fetch quests.
Form the not-viking United Nations.
Get told by the ugly old troll lady that THOU MUST get her ugly baby an ugly girl from a local carnival, while the coalition army marches on without you, and the dodgy-looking fellow will show them the way. NOTHING SUSPICIOUS ABOUT THAT.
Perform a bunch of arcade mini-games with a shitty MM9 interface, get the damn doll.
PLOT TWIST!
ackbar_wide-f0a673c875361830e84eaa3b98f7f886a750b0e5_t800.jpg
Get bummed out, decide to commune with the not-viking gods.
By having to die and going to not-Valhalla. Usually via suicide by drowning in a sea nearby. That was funny, I admit.
Get told that
THE PROPHECY IS A LIE!
Turns out,
the ugly old troll lady LITERALLLY TROLLED BOTH YOU AND THE GODS. Ouch, right in the pun! Trickster god gotta trickster.
Go into the final dungeon that is full of hp bloat enemies and retarded puzzles.
Get your revenge.

So, what's good about this plot exactly, in your opinion?

The only quest worth remembering is the one with the ice giant king. That was pretty fun and interesting. Don't remeber any other quest because they were deathly boring.

Terenty

Liturgist
Let me recap:
Young not-vikings go on a pillaging raid, get shipwrecked on a cursed island instead.
Get told by an ugly old troll lady that you are PROPHECISED to form the not-viking United Nations and save them from the not-Mongol hordes that are coming a-pillaging.
Get saddled with some dodgy-looking fellow who just won't leave you and provides nothing of value, lest you can't leave the island.
Visit a bunch of cities with mostly senile rulers, perform a whole lot of convoluted fetch quests.
Form the not-viking United Nations.
Get told by the ugly old troll lady that THOU MUST get her ugly baby an ugly girl from a local carnival, while the coalition army marches on without you, and the dodgy-looking fellow will show them the way. NOTHING SUSPICIOUS ABOUT THAT.
Perform a bunch of arcade mini-games with a shitty MM9 interface, get the damn doll.
PLOT TWIST!
ackbar_wide-f0a673c875361830e84eaa3b98f7f886a750b0e5_t800.jpg
Get bummed out, decide to commune with the not-viking gods.
By having to die and going to not-Valhalla. Usually via suicide by drowning in a sea nearby. That was funny, I admit.
Get told that
THE PROPHECY IS A LIE!
Turns out,
the ugly old troll lady LITERALLLY TROLLED BOTH YOU AND THE GODS. Ouch, right in the pun! Trickster god gotta trickster.
Go into the final dungeon that is full of hp bloat enemies and retarded puzzles.
Get your revenge.

So, what's good about this plot exactly, in your opinion?

The only quest worth remembering is the one with the ice giant king. That was pretty fun and interesting. Don't remeber any other quest because they were deathly boring.

I played it along time ago, but to me the plot seemed more interesting than in other M&Ms and quests were more mechanically advanced too

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I really have no idea how far I am into M&M1, though I suspect not very far at all. My characters are only level 7/8 and I've got the first quest chain you follow in the towns completed, and I've made progress in several of the quests chains of the Lords. However, beyond some vague clues I have no idea about the next thing I should be doing, which means explore, explore, explore.

The main quest is rather vague, but then M&M games are about exploring, so just keep exploring.
There is one place you need to Search the square you're on to advance the main quest.
IIRC, it was by a statue in the Grey Minotaur lair.
Just mentioning it since it's not obvious, and you may miss it.

Also, don't forget to always have cheap buffing spells on, especially Levitate to avoid traps.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
There are hints in relation to that specific point in some of the other castles, Castle Doom IIRC.
The joy about the M&M games is how the story slowly reveals itself to you as you explore, piecing the smaller details together as you go.

Manisan

Novice
I've finished Might e Magic 5, but I found the end a bit disappointing - practically has no final boss like MM4. But in other respects it's better than MM4, as I said: the dialog option with the npcs.
Now I'm playing MM6, and I'm alredy far; In Free Haven I taked the lloyd beacon and town portal magic - my sorcerer mastered water magic. Before I found this game slow, now is going much more fast. I'm enjoying and having fun. It is very different from its predecessors, but from here I like to see the Enroth trilogy as a separate series, but with the same essence of MM and JVC touch.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh baby jesus...
I played Might and Magic 6 back in the day and never felt it was particularly engaging; the so so graphics (even for the time) lack of races on character creation and the controls turned me off almost immediately and never got back to playing it

But today I finally installed the greyface patch and decided to play for a bit to see what the fuss was about; no way this game was better than my beloved Isles of Terra let alone World of Xeen right?

Damn straight it is

I literally had to tear myself away from my laptop to write this before I go to sleep because the damn game is just so fucking good!
The skill system, the huge levels (and level design) the variety of items and gear... it is simply addictive as hell
Getting to experience such a fantastic game that I put off for so long is such a treat, I rarely get that great feeling from modern game nowadays and I know for a fact tomorrow I will be daydreaming all day about it until I get back to playing again

Manisan

Novice
The previous have good music too, if you emulate in your pc roland 32 - and some have good remix\covers on youtube, but is other style. The best thing I like in MM6 is the paper doll sytem. You can see how your characters stays with the equipment in menu. \o/

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cleared the first sector of Might and Magic 2. First impression: this is MM1, but better. Popamole it may be, but I love the automap, and the skills and the fact that you have to buy certain spells seem like cool additions. The combat is still quick and fun, and the improved graphics are quite nice. I'm also enjoying the humour quite a bit (my Paladin is currently wielding a Tri-Sickle +1 :D).
I'm going with an imported party, so no Ninjas or Barbarians for me until I get some hirelings. I decided to replace my Sorcerer, because with 5 Endurance which equalled 14 HP at level 7, the old one just wasn't cutting it. RIP Humbledorf, you served the party well :salute:. Even with imported lvl 7 characters, though, I've already suffered multiple party wipes, so I can believe the people who say that starting this game at level 1 is brutal.

Edit: the Mac version looks really nice:
mm2comp-mac.png

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane

There is some mythic maps for "ghost wars", like pirate utopia, if i remember correctly.

Still, i disagree with one statement in the review, Dragons aren't the best unit, it's very good if you grab Armageddon with a high spell power warlock but titans with resurrect true is better as dragons can't be resurrected.
They're also insanely expensive and that's the only unit with 3 upgrades.

Also, necromancers can be very powerful with animate undead and enough skeletons transformers ...

Last but not least, phenixes + resurrect true, since it's the fastest unit and you can counter suicide bombers enemies but there's also the anti-magic strategy which turns the tide in favor of the might tribes.

Reader

Scholar
I have a couple of questions about MM3. Google didn't help.
1. I learned Supress Poison with my cleric but can't understand how it works. I used it on poisoned char but he's just staying poisoned. Temple still removes poison. What i do wrong?
2. I begun to get some accessoires and bought one. But when i identified them there are no stats. Does it mean they're worthless and supposed to be sold? Or their material matters somehow?
I'm playing clear gog version.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I have a couple of questions about MM3. Google didn't help.
1. I learned Supress Poison with my cleric but can't understand how it works. I used it on poisoned char but he's just staying poisoned. Temple still removes poison. What i do wrong?
2. I begun to get some accessoires and bought one. But when i identified them there are no stats. Does it mean they're worthless and supposed to be sold? Or their material matters somehow?
I'm playing clear gog version.
1) suppress poison slows the effect of poison but doesn’t remove it, you still have to have it healed but it gives you more time to do so
3) this is not dungeons and dragons, the higher value the material the better the item, plus accessories, rings and charms are mostly used boost your resistances so if you find a “silver charm of electricity” it will give you a nice boost to your electric resistance

Reader

Scholar
the higher value the material the better the item
But there should be some useful stats, right? Chunk of my loot is laughable. Like wooden katana with no damage or leather dagger -3 acc. And among them there are things like glass tiara or glass amulet with no stats at all. Are these just for selling?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The good materials start from brass onwards; copper, iron, steel etc
Sell the glass and wood stuff and try to buy regular stuff from the blacksmith to get started at least
Try to get a bow on everybody that can use one and don’t use the bow icon but rather press the S key; it allows you to do 2 volleys instead of one per movement
If your party is too weak try to go outside to kill some goblins and look for some of their “nests” for good good experience and loot for getting started

Reader

Scholar
Yes, i did all that, just arrived in second town. The game is great.
But i have another question. Might is important for melee, int for sorcerers and perception for clerics. What stat to consider for robbers?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom