Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
Implementing reactions RAW would be near impossible, it would be up there with trying to implement RAW wish.

Does anyone know where 5E got the inspiration for reactions from? I'm not a big pnp player, but it's mostly something I see in tacticool video games.

Codex Year of the Donut
It wouldn't be simple in either system. For instance, Counterspell allows you to try and interrupt a creature casting a spell. It automatically cancels spells of the same level or lower than the slot used for Counterspell. For higher levels, the user must pass an ability check with a DC of 10 + the spell's level. The player doesn't know what spell is being cast or its level (for obvious reasons). Additionally, you can Counterspell another Counterspell. If the UI and the animations revealed the spell and/or its level, the spell would become significantly stronger.
The gist of it could be implemented by simply having the player pick between two counterspell options(targeted, and non-targeted) and simply having counterspell trigger on the next spell cast(either by the target or by any enemy depending on which is picked)
Opportunity Attacks - These are not free in 5E. Characters only have 1 reaction per round, so if they spend it to make an opportunity attack, they can't use another reaction in that same round.
Probably implemented the way most AOO implementations are already: it simply triggers on the first opportunity to do so
etc.,

Fairfax

Arcane
The gist of it could be implemented by simply having the player pick between two counterspell options(targeted, and non-targeted) and simply having counterspell trigger on the next spell cast(either by the target or by any enemy depending on which is picked)
That would be bad for several reasons. Counterspell is a 3rd-level spell. No rational player uses it lightly. Letting it trigger on any spell (which includes cantrips) would be stupid. Also, reactions can be used at any point in the round, so when would that decision be made? And how would the player choose which spell slot to spend with Counterspell? What if another opportunity to use a reaction comes up, would they automatically lose it? That would be a major change to the ruleset.

The game could have settings and/or customizable scripts for these things, but that would only mitigate the problem, and most players wouldn't know where to start.

Probably implemented the way most AOO implementations are already: it simply triggers on the first opportunity to do so
etc.,
If the characters automatically make OAs, there would be no point in having reactions as part of the action economy in the first place. And again, the whole game is balanced around the fact that everyone gets a single reaction per round, so making them free would be a major change.

Codex Year of the Donut
That would be bad for several reasons. Counterspell is a 3rd-level spell. No rational player uses it lightly. Letting it trigger on any spell (which includes cantrips) would be stupid. Also, reactions can be used at any point in the round, so when would that decision be made? And how would the player choose which spell slot to spend with Counterspell? What if another opportunity to use a reaction comes up, would they automatically lose it? That would be a major change to the ruleset.
nobody is going to implement it with this much autism unless it's a mod

hexer

BG3 is going to be bigger than Skyrim.

"Project Gustav is set to be RPG who will dwarf them all."
- Swen

I think he clarified on that by saying BG3 will be Larian's biggest game.
He was comparing it to other Larian games, not other RPGs.
And even then I think he meant in terms of team size, not gameplay hours.
He said they were aiming for 80-120 gameplay hours while you have DOS2 with 140h for completionists.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Minsc will serve as a true companion litmus test. If he's in, that means that either the story is directly related to the Bhaalspawn Crisis and/or the game will be full of refernces to the previous games, with Minsc as a major source of anectodes/stories/references.
dude. the bhaalspawn saga was, what, 100+ years before 5e? Unless Minsc became undead or took a really long nap, even the daisies he's been pushing up are dead.

I really doubt WotC is going to want to license a new game set in an old ruleset.
Dude. You are being as ignorant as Larian is. LMAO
how so? serious question. I will admit to not knowing the setting as well as some of you, but then I am not the one designing a D&D game here.
Minsc got turned to stone or some shit and thus survived all these years.

No. A wild mage accidentaly cast a spell on Minsc's statue in Baldur's Gate. This resurrected Minsc/recreated him/made a simulacra - this hasn't been explained yet. Either way, he's alive.
So it's confirmed - our party will start in Trademeet after some wild mage cast spell on our statues.

Cael

Arcane
As someone that has not played 5th ed Tabletop, how well would it translate to a Turn based CRPG?
I assume this is what we will be getting by the way, I see no reason why a studio would come in off the back of two successful TB rpgs and make some kind of NWN shit show.
It's the most suitable to a videogame while keeping the D&D formula intact D&D has ever been.
4th edition would have been solid for a computer game. atari never bothered though
4E was shit though.
A terrible D&D game, (and RPG, generally speaking), but it would have made for a perfectly playable tactical, minis wargame, or a combat-oriented video game.
It was done, dude. They called it "World of Warcraft".

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another same-y interview but one more drip of info: https://www.vg247.com/2019/06/19/baldurs-gate-3-will-not-divinity-original-sin-3-another-name/

As in the original game, your adventure will start outside the grand city of Baldur’s Gate – trading hub, playground of iniquity, magnet for world-ending catastrophe – but eventually lead you into its heart. Baldur’s Gate 1 functioned almost as a sparse open world stitched together by loading screens, but the sequel sensibly cut the map count in favour of fewer, more densely-packed areas, which is the approach Larian is taking too.

“We take snapshots, because we have an adventure we’re going to go and do,” Vincke says. “We’re not going to make it one big open-world city simulation. It’s not that type of game.”

Also Fargo on inXile's pitch of BG3: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...to-get-the-rights-to-baldurs-gate-3-a-e3-2019

OBSIDIAN AND INXILE BOTH TRIED TO GET THE RIGHTS TO BALDUR'S GATE 3 – E3 2019
Fargo seems happy that it's in Larian's hands, though.

Baldur's Gate 3, the follow-up to two of the most beloved (and arguably best) CRPGs of all-time, was finally announced this month. It is being created by Divinity: Original Sin developer Larian Studios, but it turns out that other prominent RPG developers tried to get their hands on it years ago.

"I love that title," inXile CEO Brian Fargo told IGN. "You know, both me and [Obsidian CEO] Feargus [Urquhart] were chasing that for years. [Larian CEO] Swen [Vincke] too. All of us, for a decade."

The longtime Interplay developer continued: "After I left Interplay, it was the first thing I went for. I got very, very close at one point. I had the financing all lined up and then Atari got into trouble..."

Fargo, whose studio was bought by Microsoft last year and is currently in production on Wasteland 3, further elaborated on the pursuit of the license along with fellow new Microsoft acquisition Obsidian (who is currently nearing the finish line on the incredibly promising RPG, The Outer Worlds): "Feargus had a better inside track than I did and he wasn't able to do it. And then Larian ended up doing it, which was a great choice by the way. It was a great choice. [But] we all tried for it."

Asked what his version of Baldur's Gate 3 would've looked like, Fargo said, "We put some thought into the plot design, I remember. It's been over 15 years. All I remember is the [player character] was being persecuted. Everything was going bad and they were blaming the protagonist and you had to clear your name."

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Fargo's plot already sounds better than this world-saving crap we get with Sven.
I still love you, Sven

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Asked what his version of Baldur's Gate 3 would've looked like, Fargo said, "We put some thought into the plot design, I remember. It's been over 15 years. All I remember is the [player character] was being persecuted. Everything was going bad and they were blaming the protagonist and you had to clear your name."
sounds like the end plot for seige of dragon spear.

tbh, I can't decide whether InXile/Obsidian getting the IP would have been better or worse.
world-saving crap we get with Sven.
or both are crap. that's an option.

Yeah it will be like DA:O
tbh, we should hope it's even that level of quality.

Larian has never done a game with a decent plot. ever.

the original divinity was ok, but everything since has been terrible.

I liked D:OS's combat, but the story is abysmal.

So unless they hired Avellone to write the whole thing, I can't see this as being playable. but we'll see.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Isn't Avallone a meme at this point? I just roll my eyes whenever I hear someone advertising Avallone's involvement with their game, tbh.

Isn't Avallone a meme at this point? I just roll my eyes whenever I hear someone advertising Avallone's involvement with their game, tbh.
even a meme is better than your plot consisting exclusively of dumb jokes.

I'm not saying Avellone is perfect, just that I know he can at least write something decent.

hexer

Chris should return to Planescape .. he was born to work on that sort of fantasy setting.
But I know the stars aren't aligned.
:negative:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://steamdb.info/app/1086940/history/?changeid=6444968

Heh, Larian manually removed "Turn-Based" tag applied by users on the game's Steam page. That's suspicious.
How do you find these things dude! Haha
Although I wished for TB, I guess RTwP or something similar is more probable, since it's BG after all. It's kind of the "godfather" of RTwP

*By the way they also removed the "Fantasy" tag. IT'S GOING TO BE A REALISTIC ILLITHID SIMULATOR

Shrimp

Arbiter
I'm still not entirely sure why they seemingly haven't gone the safe route and added both RTWP and TB like POE2. Seems like it'd be the easiest way to please both crowds by far.
If they actually did go the RTWP+TB route and thought radio silence was the best course of action, I'll probably have to question the employees responsible for PR and marketing.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm still not entirely sure why they seemingly haven't gone the safe route and added both RTWP and TB like POE2. Seems like it'd be the easiest way to please both crowds by far.
If they actually did go the RTWP+TB route and thought radio silence was the best course of action, I'll probably have to question the employees responsible for PR and marketing.
POE2 was designed for RTwP, its turn based is just an afterthought.. just like with Kingmaker and its TB mod.

Shrimp

Arbiter
POE2 was designed for RTwP, its turn based is just an afterthought.. just like with Kingmaker and its TB mod.
Yes, and? Obsidian saw and acknowledged there was a market for CRPG players who prefer turn based combat and tried to reach out to them. It'd make sense for a company like Larian to at the very least attempt to accommodate both groups of players, especially considering this supposedly is going to be their biggest game to date.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom