Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
For many, many years of game development, this typo/spelling error is endemic in my work, whether the old P&P rulesets I devised in elementary school or the QB4.5 RPGs I made well into high school. Perhaps more than anything else, this tickled my nostalgia.

V_K

Arcane
For many, many years of game development, this typo/spelling error is endemic in my work, whether the old P&P rulesets I devised in elementary school or the QB4.5 RPGs I made well into high school. Perhaps more than anything else, this tickled my nostalgia.
It took me years to stop doubting which spelling was the right one. Even longer for pronunciation.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Probably the First Hungarian D20 Society:
https://emdt.bigcartel.com/
I swear it wasn't me! :cool: But I will do my duty and pledge now.
Turns out I got some media exposure at a Hungarian news site (index.hu or somesuch thing). This caused a lot of people to stream to the campaign. But oh so low conversion rates :)
Index.hu is a general news site (the largest one in Hungary). High population of techies, but you got on "Meanwhile", their news ticker which publishes everything from the latest cat pictures to clickbait like "Did you know you eat a credit card's worth of plastic every week?"

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Probably the First Hungarian D20 Society:
https://emdt.bigcartel.com/
I swear it wasn't me! :cool: But I will do my duty and pledge now.
Turns out I got some media exposure at a Hungarian news site (index.hu or somesuch thing). This caused a lot of people to stream to the campaign. But oh so low conversion rates :)
Index.hu is a general news site (the largest one in Hungary). High population of techies, but you got on "Meanwhile", their news ticker which publishes everything from the latest cat pictures to clickbait like "Did you know you eat a credit card's worth of plastic every week?"

Haha thanks for the insight :-D Yeah that sounds about right ;-)

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The Classes and Stats seem well thought out, I like that design wise this game is going for a tighter more transparent style. I'd rather have fewer classes/attributes/abilities and have them all matter than a huge pool of marginal choices.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
The Classes and Stats seem well thought out, I like that design wise this game is going for a tighter more transparent style. I'd rather have fewer classes/attributes/abilities and have them all matter than a huge pool of marginal choices.

My thoughts exactly! Tight and transparent is spot on! If it's also recognizable than thumbs up as well!

I really liked some of the design ideas behind Pillars of Eternity (no dump-stat and all builds are viable) but TBH I found the implementation a bit poor! The way might and intelligence affects all damage and area effects didn't resonate with me at all. And even though the game showed you numbers there was so much of it that, for me at least, it was just a mess! Nothing wrong with making it a bit less "fancy".

In other news, we just crushed the third stretch goal!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Question: I'm just thinking out loud here and looking for some constructive feedback! I have some fans who write and who would love to contribute some flavor-text for the manual (short snippets of creative writing in the SKALD universe). Instead of these being self-contained, I was wondering about the following as a little gimmick: Remember how in older RPGs (Wasteland 1) some of the in-game text would be printed in the manual and then the game would have you look up paragraph #26 in the manual? Could we somehow do a version of that BUT WITH NON ESSENTIAL TEXT ONLY! In other words this would be explicitly cosmetic and non plot-essential text. It would be a nice way to integrate fan writing into the game without it taking up too much space or being immersion breaking (meaning we could put more of it in there). Also this wouldn't be a huge thing. Lets say there were 10 paragraphs and it will all be bypassable at no cost to gameplay. Anyone care to offer some thoughts?

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think there's a place for that sort of text in games still if done right (the dry see paragraph#3 stuff is a bit too basic, an in universe reference guide based on keywords or something can be fun). I get the urge to shunt backer writing to a reference book since it can be clutter, but at that point might it be better to just not include it at all? I doubt many people are going to crack open a PDF to see what "unique" thoughts KSBacker#69 wanted to write about. I'm all on board for translating runes though, that's the basis for some fun puzzles and quests.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
I think there's a place for that sort of text in games still if done right (the dry see paragraph#3 stuff is a bit too basic, an in universe reference guide based on keywords or something can be fun). I get the urge to shunt backer writing to a reference book since it can be clutter, but at that point might it be better to just not include it at all? I doubt many people are going to crack open a PDF to see what "unique" thoughts KSBacker#69 wanted to write about. I'm all on board for translating runes though, that's the basis for some fun puzzles and quests.

Yeah there is def a balance to be struck here re. clutter vs interesting and this will depend on the quality of the writing and how well it ties into the world itself :) As for runes - I'm all on board with that!!!

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I say leave it in the manual. Some fluff might make it more interesting than if it were purely an overview of gameplay mechanics. I understand if you've promised people that their stuff will appear in the game, but in my opinion, the less influence backers have on the stuff you see on screen, the better.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Yes, you can pet the animals.

063a930117e0f379070a4f7d579f7464_original.gif

6097ff066d69d6974778390383da6a06_original.gif

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
Backed. Good luck and may your "Develop CRPG" skill roll be a critical success! (Here's hoping your project goes smoother than the other C64-like CRPG that I backed, Unknown Realm, which seems to be slowly drifting towards KS project oblivion and vaporware status, unfortunately.)

Seeing that you have time, lighting and weather tracked, how are these going to affect gameplay? For example, will time of day matter like in Ultima 5 with the NPCs having their daily routines and stores closing for nights and so on. Will you need to provide illumination (with torches etc.) in underground caves or at night to see around you? Will harsh weather affect your party somehow or is it only relevant for sailing?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scapeit/skald-against-the-black-priory/posts/2542369

Stretch Goal Announced: Vile Volumes

The SKALD Kickstarter has reached its third stretch-goal and we're now adding a third major area to the game: Urban carnage in the the city of Adler's Helm!

Even better: We get to have a go at a fourth stretch-goal (140.000 NOK / 16.000 USD)! And so, without further ado:

Vile Volumes
If we make our fourth stretch goal, we get to be a lot more ambitious with the manual / campaign guide! We planned to ship with approx. the equivalent of 3 pages of illustrations. If we make the mark, we'll up that to the equivalent of 6 pages in a 32+ page manual!

b381798771677b416ec2f152ec09890c_original.jpg

SKALD has strong tabletop-RPG roots!

This means we get to flesh out the city of Adler's Helm as well as add hand-drawn maps for locations and a fully illustrated bestiary of monsters! You'll be able to run a tabletop-RPG campaign in the SKALD universe (after all the "IMPERATOR" edition ships with custom dice!

Furthermore this also means we can afford to pay a professional editor to give the book the polish it deserves!

Shout-Outs
If you like RPGs you might want to check out "Small Saga" on Kickstarter! It's a gorgeous-looking RPG that sees you in the role of a brave, young mouse venturing below the streets of London to the kingdom of Rodentia! It's on Kickstarter now and has a playable demo!

Finally, I would like to encourage you all to check out graphical artist Marco Pedrana's Behance page where he showcases some of his work for SKALD!

Have an awesome day!

AL

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scapeit/skald-against-the-black-priory/posts/2545504

Recommendations

Hi there SKALD fans!

We're coming up on our last week and I have no doubt that SKALD will finish at above 200%. This is amazing and I owe you all a huge thanks.

If any of you feel like spreading the word and perhaps drawing a few more unsuspecting victims into the Black Priory before July 2nd, there are ways to help:

Spreading the word about SKALD on forums and Reddit pages where you hang is a great way of putting the project in front of people in places I don't really have access to.

8560027488417990c8c597818eb6bc93_original.gif

Who doesn't want to pet the dog?

Check out ADA: Tainted Soil
"Ada: Tainted Soil" is another indie-game currently on Kickstarter! Currently at 90% funding and with less than a week to go it would be VERY cool if we helped this game get funded! It looks amazing and I think it will appeal to a lot of you!

From the Kickstarter:

"Ada is story driven, single-player 2d action rpg with fast-paced combat.

Delve into colorful world of Ada, explore vast areas, meet interesting characters and unravel the story behind your sisters disappearance ."

Check out the trailer here!

Support ADA today on Kickstarter!

Cheers,

AL

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
*Bump* Repeating my questions above for Mr. Skald.
Seeing that you have time, lighting and weather tracked, how are these going to affect gameplay? For example, will time of day matter like in Ultima 5 with the NPCs having their daily routines and stores closing for nights and so on. Will you need to provide illumination (with torches etc.) in underground caves or at night to see around you? Will harsh weather affect your party somehow or is it only relevant for sailing?
Bonus question: How does the Sanity mechanic work? Is it just a set of mental HP (once depleted results in losing that character) or something more, e.g. resulting in negative quirks (sort of like in Darkest Dungeon) as Sanity crumbles. Can you regain lost Sanity (by resting or maybe by prayer/meditation/whatever) or is all SAN damage permanent?

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
*Bump* Repeating my questions above for Mr. Skald.
Bonus question: How does the Sanity mechanic work? Is it just a set of mental HP (once depleted results in losing that character) or something more, e.g. resulting in negative quirks (sort of like in Darkest Dungeon) as Sanity crumbles. Can you regain lost Sanity (by resting or maybe by prayer/meditation/whatever) or is all SAN damage permanent?

Hi and so sorry for missing this one!

All of the above features are readily available within the SKALD engine. How they are used will depend on if it adds to the gameplay in a significant way. This will take some play-testing and design work. But I'm on record saying I want SKALD to have a game world that feels alive and all of the above features might contribute to that. At the same time I also want the game mechanics to be accessible and transparent and too many layers of minutia might adversely affect this. I also don't want to add extra layers of tedium and book-keeping to the game. We'll see as game development progresses but like I said: All of what you're asking about is readily available within the engine.

I think illumination is probably first on the list. As for weather effects I might have weather be something that might trigger specific combat / non-combat encounters depending on conditions (don't go onto the moors if there is fog etc). I don't just want it to be like "-2 to ranged attacks in heavy wind".

For Sanity I don't intend for it to be just mental HP. I don't want it to just be another death clock for characters but I LOVE the Darkest Dungeon system where loosing enough sanity adds quirks. Sanity damage will not be permanent (but quirks might be)!

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
**The latest SKALD Kickstarter update**

Hi there SKALD-fans!

We're now on the home stretch! It's been an amazing ride but I also can't wait to getting back to spending more time making the actual game and less time managing the Kickstarter - after all, bringing you the game is what it's all about!

Stretch Goal Announced: Infinite Darkness
If we make the final (?) stretch-goal of 160.000 NOK / 18.400 USD we're adding a procedurally generated murder-dungeon to the game as optional side content! The area will be completely optional and besides the main game, and will allow you to create a party of up to 6 custom characters and take them on a doomed descent into an infinite dungeon. This will allow you to keep enjoying SKALD long after you've finished the main game!

Combat and Adventuring
There's a new article on the devlog: This one regarding combat and adventuring systems in the SKALD engine. Check it out today if you want to learn more!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scapeit/skald-against-the-black-priory/posts/2554023
Final Stretch Goal!

Home stretch!
With 13 hours to go, can we make one more stretch goal?

The next target would be 180.000 NOK / 21.000 USD. For rewards, we're going something a bit different: We're opening it up to a vote!

A) Two more classes

B) Bounty-hunting

C) Crafting

Follow the link below to the tweet:

Cast your vote here!

Be sure to join the discussion on the SKALD discord as well!

See you on the other side!

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Final 7 hours for SKALD in Kickstarter!

I just gotta say I got a lot of backers and support from here and you guys have all been awesome! Can't wait to get back to making the game itself now!

See you on the other side!

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scapeit/skald-against-the-black-priory/posts/2555145

We did it!

Huzza!

Finishing at 450 backers and 262% it's safe to say that "Skald: Against the Black Priory" is a hit. The Kickstarter has been a lot of fun, but also a lot of work and I'm looking forward to spending more time working on the game again.

The Road Ahead
The scheduled release for SKALD is June 2020 with physical rewards coming in August 2020. Up to that point there is a lot of work to be done in developing the game and feelies and I honestly can't wait!

Backers will be receiving a backer survey within months that will get things like addresses, preferred platform and so forth.

The Demo
For backers who payed to get access to the alpha-build, that will be made available in July. I'll still take a few weeks to polish it a bit so be patient! The alpha-build is in no way representative of the finished product. It serves as a short proof-of-concept and a way to start developing some shared language for discussing the project. In particular, complex features like character development and advancement will be placeholder systems in this demo.

Discord
We already have a pretty good community on Discord and I would like for it to become much larger! Join us on Discord today: https://discord.gg/6wrFFdW

We're having some pretty great discussions regarding SKALD and game development in general so if you want a say in how this game turns out, Discord is the place :)

Send me a message with your name and backer number as you join and I'll add the appropriate role to you on Kickstarter!

You can also reach me here on Kickstarter so let me know it you have questions or comments (thou I might take a bit longer to reply now during the summer).

SkaldRPG.com
I also recommend all of my backers to subscribe to the devlog at www.skaldRPG.com

The devlog is where I'll post stuff like information on the game system and setting. This is a great (or terrible) way for you to get some insight into what goes on inside my head.

That's it for now! Thanks again for all your support!

AL

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom