Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy VIII Remastered

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I had the good fortune to play Final Fantasy VIII as a kid and as my first FF game, and as an ignorant fuck I happily went along with the terrible design that is the Draw system.

I do recall an obsession with Triple Triad and the Card command, too.

Today I still like the game, but I mostly remember the music, the characters and strangely enough, the weird amalgam of different visual styles the game had. The way the game transitioned between rustic, contemporary and blatantly sci-fi elements in its environments is something I don't think other FF games have replicated since. Compare Balamb, Galbadia, Esthar etc. with each other. Other FF games are more consistent in how they portray their worlds, but FF VIII is quite the jumble.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
I had the good fortune to play Final Fantasy VIII as a kid and as my first FF game, and as an ignorant fuck I happily went along with the terrible design that is the Draw system.

I do recall an obsession with Triple Triad and the Card command, too.

Today I still like the game, but I mostly remember the music, the characters and strangely enough, the weird amalgam of different visual styles the game had. The way the game transitioned between rustic, contemporary and blatantly sci-fi elements in its environments is something I don't think other FF games have replicated since. Compare Balamb, Galbadia, Esthar etc. with each other. Other FF games are more consistent in how they portray their worlds, but FF VIII is quite the jumble.
I actually feel the entire game embodies the precise moment Square's art and marketing departments took over the whole damn company. These days they create enough unused concept art from one game to make another two or three (and will charge you accordingly, despite there still being just the one aforementioned game). It's absolutely insane.

Yosharian

Arcane
Have you guys tried playing 8 by carding every single enemy so that you reach Disc 3 at minimum level and can then powerlevel every character with GF Cactuar equipped in order to gain megastats and end up with insanely powerful characters and then not even bother to finish the game again because what's the point?

I recommend it

Swigen

Arbiter
The only thing I remember about 8 is the music. Was cool you could listen to past FF soundtracks in the mirth mobile’s stereo in 15, checked out 8’s as soon as I could.

Hassar

Scholar
The only thing I remember about 8 is the music. Was cool you could listen to past FF soundtracks in the mirth mobile’s stereo in 15, checked out 8’s as soon as I could.

You don’t even remember the assault on Balamb Garden?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Have you guys tried playing 8 by carding every single enemy so that you reach Disc 3 at minimum level and can then powerlevel every character with GF Cactuar equipped in order to gain megastats and end up with insanely powerful characters and then not even bother to finish the game again because what's the point?

I recommend it
I did it a bit like that last time (plus getting lots of X Up items), tho IIRC it doesn't end up providing that much of a benefit because you hit the 255 maximum well before enemy scaling stops so you don't need to get THAT anal about it (and honestly besides getting enough Str for Squall to hit 9999 with limit break spam is the goal here), the actual benefit in this is really just avoiding enemy scaling rather than maxing stats since you get fucked over by the scaling hard if you don't watch out. IMO getting Auto-Haste for every one of your GF sets is more important, followed by getting all the stats Junctioned and AbilityX4. Stat-Def junctions are really important if you can't use Chocobo World to get Ribbons, or want to get that slot for something else (since you can junction immunity to critical status effects that would fuck you over bad, and in a lot of ways Auto-Protect and Auto-Shell are more enticing options than Ribbon).

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Power gaming in JRPG smh

Just play normally like any normal people would. When you get some very hard shit just use Selphie + Aura until you get The End :smug:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's not really powergaming, it's basically how you are supposed to do a min-level run of FF8. FF8 is the easiest Final Fantasy to low-level because you can just junction yourself to tons of damage/HP from the card game which you have to grind for like 4 hours at the start of the game.

FF9 and 6 have fascinating low level runs, though; really make the combat system shine.

IceyD

Scholar
my playthrough of VIII was only ~28 hours, just drawing spells that seemed to have the biggest impact on stats. the game changer was being able to convert items into Thundaras/gas later in the game.

it's a fun system but its biggest flaw is that it's easy to play it wrong and thus have a terrible time.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
What's so superior about an one-hit-wonder lounge singer?

On the other hand Quistis is the youngest ever to graduate the SeeD and at 17 youngest ever to become instructor, basically commander of soldier for hire (seeds). She rein as empress with her whipping hand. Has the hot for a younger guy.

I dont get the complaint about Quistis unless "she's too great I feel intimidated".
This supposed prodigy fucked up in an important mission. Moreover, she also generally acts like retard past the early part of the story. This hot teacher bullshit only shows up in her introduction FMV. Whatever is her achievement you mentioned happened in the background. The whip sucks. Zell deals more damage with his Limit Break. Selphie shows more legs. What am I supposed to find attractive in her? Her part of the story fails the "show, don't tell" rule and instead she acts retarded even more so than the rest of the cast who's supposedly younger and more inexperienced. Her combat costume is boring, too, and why do you have to take out your glasses? This is a Final Fantasy game, everyone fight with long dresses and high heels.

mogwaimon

Magister
pro ballers spent all their time casting scan on selphie and trying to catch the two or three pixels of panties if you rotate her model to the right angle. real or imagined, it didn't matter. it was the best a ten year old boy could get without a computer in the 90s. boring quistis and rinoa paled in comparison.

and then the dead or alive 2 demo disc came with an issue of gamepro for your dreamcast and your mind was fucking blown. now all the boring ff8 waifus were shoved aside for superior >10 polygon ninja waifus.

in short FF8 girls are all pretty shit. get a dreamcast.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Tried playing FF 8 twice and both times dropped it after game switches to Laguna. From what i heard plot becomes even more retarded after this so i think i've lost nothing of value. Final Fantasy is the most overrated series in the world.
12 was ok.

Swigen

Arbiter

You don’t even remember the assault on Balamb Garden?

I truly don’t. I remember liking the parts where you go back in time and play as that Laguna guy but that’s it. I remember EVERYTHING about Xenogears but I can’t for the life of me remember a damn thing about FF8 or FF7 and I played all that stuff when it first came out.

laclongquan

Arcane
What's so superior about an one-hit-wonder lounge singer?

On the other hand Quistis is the youngest ever to graduate the SeeD and at 17 youngest ever to become instructor, basically commander of soldier for hire (seeds). She rein as empress with her whipping hand. Has the hot for a younger guy.

I dont get the complaint about Quistis unless "she's too great I feel intimidated".
This supposed prodigy fucked up in an important mission.
She's 18. Sure, she failed during her first test as field commander (stay on the boat and control best part of firepower instead of chasing after her men and control them like a proper bitch in command). As we like to play micromanaging son-of-bitch we can see right off where she failed. Since she's not us, ie micromanaging SOB, she fail in that part.
Moreover, she also generally acts like retard past the early part of the story. This hot teacher bullshit only shows up in her introduction FMV.
I blame hormones flooding her brain and being busy chasing that hot boy. 18. Enough said. She's a fucking flawed gem of first order.
The whip sucks.
Boy boy boy. If you dont get why I said her being empress with whipping hand is great... You are too young, or too ignorant to know. Read more, I suppose. Or get out and experience more, which is a too adventurous and risky recommendation I dont want to make.
Zell deals more damage with his Limit Break. Selphie shows more legs. What am I supposed to find attractive in her?
See the comment above.
Her part of the story fails the "show, don't tell" rule and instead she acts retarded even more so than the rest of the cast who's supposedly younger and more inexperienced.
This is the risk of setting main cast as high school graduates. If they act grimdark it's too bloody unbelievable (see a lot of movies portraying behaviours of HS students or 1st year uni). And if they act true to their age, some motherfuckers will complain they act retards. Justly, I suppose, but motherfuckers being motherfuckers is annoying.
Her combat costume is boring, too, and why do you have to take out your glasses? This is a Final Fantasy game, everyone fight with long dresses and high heels.
You are being contradictory, but in this case I suppose it cant be helped. For one thing, the game is showing the concept of " Highschool students and their fashionable dress sense In Japanese Combat" not tell. And Quistis's mannerisms are how the imaginary glass girls will act in combat. Mannerisms. Do you understand the concept? This is the part where I should tell you to read more, but this actually take years to understand.

Glass girls has higher status among Japanese than among Western society. In wester most of them get contacts soonest possible, so they dont develop a lot of fashionable mannerism associated with glass.

Tigranes

Arcane
I didnt know this when I first played FF8, since I was a kid with near zero exposure to animu, but the school cast is just the same old weeaboo harem you see in in 8 million other places.

Glasses smart too good for you tsundere lady, braindead IM SO HAPPY unipolar girl, straight up long haired broad-appeal girl (now with a mildly independent spunky flavour).

At least in ff9 the braindead happy girl was actually 6 years old... and still more mature character development to boot.

laclongquan

Arcane
Because the other stereotype maybe too much for school setting:
1. Cougar lady (playboy uncle) who will gobble you up.
2. Mature lady with some weird history.
It's the limitation of the setting~ You just cant use around half the type of personalities you'd like to use.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I think the takeaway lesson here, for all concerned, is that Final Fantasy 8 was a bad idea at conception- the only winning move was not to make it.

I don't think it's merely a coincidence that many consider disk 1 the best part of FF8 aka when you're going on SEED missions, getting a team together and with hints of an overarching story thrown into it. In a sense Type-0 built up on some of that premise with the addition of serious tone, but it had problems of its own.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
She's 18. Sure, she failed during her first test as field commander (stay on the boat and control best part of firepower instead of chasing after her men and control them like a proper bitch in command). As we like to play micromanaging son-of-bitch we can see right off where she failed. Since she's not us, ie micromanaging SOB, she fail in that part.

I blame hormones flooding her brain and being busy chasing that hot boy. 18. Enough said. She's a fucking flawed gem of first order.

Boy boy boy. If you dont get why I said her being empress with whipping hand is great... You are too young, or too ignorant to know. Read more, I suppose. Or get out and experience more, which is a too adventurous and risky recommendation I dont want to make.

See the comment above.

This is the risk of setting main cast as high school graduates. If they act grimdark it's too bloody unbelievable (see a lot of movies portraying behaviours of HS students or 1st year uni). And if they act true to their age, some motherfuckers will complain they act retards. Justly, I suppose, but motherfuckers being motherfuckers is annoying.
Basically, you claimed that you can't see why other don't think of Quistis the same way that you think (This fantasy "empress" of yours), when pointed why, you only get all apologetic about her failures. To put it simply, she gives off the appearance of this hot teacher, but it's basically just a facade. To be fair, since I invoked the writing rule, I have to admit, that Quistis having a prodigy background but retarded personality in the story is a of good character concept. But still, your fantasy empress doesn't exist anywhere in the story.

You are being contradictory, but in this case I suppose it cant be helped. For one thing, the game is showing the concept of " Highschool students and their fashionable dress sense In Japanese Combat" not tell. And Quistis's mannerisms are how the imaginary glass girls will act in combat. Mannerisms. Do you understand the concept? This is the part where I should tell you to read more, but this actually take years to understand.

Glass girls has higher status among Japanese than among Western society. In wester most of them get contacts soonest possible, so they dont develop a lot of fashionable mannerism associated with glass.

Really? Seems like you're avoiding my point and started talking out of your ass here. I didn't even comment on how she acts in combat, just the costume choice. What? She dropped the glass and wear something practical in combat? Sure, but remember everyone else often wear something impractical too. Which is my complain in the first place.

Also, why do you have to write "Japanese combat"? Is just "combat" not enough? Do the Japanese have their own style of combat that we gaijins know nothing about? Enlighten me here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom