Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Chris should return to Planescape .. he was born to work on that sort of fantasy setting.
But I know the stars aren't aligned.
:negative:

If Swen will get Planescape 2 licence, I'm sure he'll invite Avellone to work.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm still not entirely sure why they seemingly haven't gone the safe route and added both RTWP and TB like POE2. Seems like it'd be the easiest way to please both crowds by far.
If they actually did go the RTWP+TB route and thought radio silence was the best course of action, I'll probably have to question the employees responsible for PR and marketing.
Was there any game which implemented both styles in a successfull way? It seems to me that one of the modes always feels like a tacked on feature (Arcanum or PoE2).

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Was there any game which implemented both styles in a successfull way?
Fallout Tactics (ish), X-Com Apocalypse (more ish). Though judging by what I've seen and heard of Deadfire, if you consider that 'tacked on' neither of these games will qualify.

Fallout Tactics (ish), X-Com Apocalypse (more ish). Though judging by what I've seen and heard of Deadfire, if you consider that 'tacked on' neither of these games will qualify.
I'll take those as confirmations that "let's try both at the same time" never works particularly well.

At this point I'll be surprised if this isn't Skyrim.
That's... quite the logic jump to make.

Cael

Arcane
I'll take those as confirmations that "let's try both at the same time" never works particularly well.
It works very well for FOT. You basically get to move until combat starts (usually because someone attacked someone else) and then it is individual or party based TB. The only problem is unrelated to the RT+TB mode of operation and had to do with how reaction fire was implemented. A FOT style RT+TB coupled with an XCom style reaction fire would be a perfect system.

Other games people forget about that uses RT+TB includes:
Dark Sun (both Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager) - in fact, one of the quests in WotR involves a RT race while combat is pure DnD style TB
Temple of Elemental Evil

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I remember someone from dev team (maybe even Swen himself) said in one of countless interview that "everyone will be pleased" or something like that. However, attempt to please everyone can result in pissing everyone and silence about gameplay isn't helping at all.

Sentinel

Arcane
https://steamdb.info/app/1086940/history/?changeid=6444968

Heh, Larian manually removed "Turn-Based" tag applied by users on the game's Steam page. That's suspicious.
How do you know the change was done by Larian? Looking at the tag history they seem to fluctuate according to what people tag it as. For example, on June 13th, "Dungeons and Dragons" tag was removed. On June 17th, "Turn-Based" was added (and then removed 2 days later).

Sentinel

Arcane
EXP tables have been the same for every class since D&D 3E haven't they? I know they are in 5E. Kind of a misleading line.

Codex Year of the Donut
re:companions
It would probably be easier to make a list of companions that wouldn't be available in 100 years after the end of BG2.
Many of them are of classes that either stop aging or age slowly at higher levels.
Aging just really isn't that big of a problem in the FR universe for people that are powerful enough to challenge quasi-gods

Sentinel

Arcane
ei5gvVt.png

Yeah these changes aren't made by Larian. It's just the tags algorithm re-adjusting the order according to popular tags. So Sandbox supposedly fell down to the 9th most relevant tag, while Rogue-like went to 8th place.

And despite the site saying that the 12th tag "Turn-Based" was removed, this isn't true as it can still be seen on the store page:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom