Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
So what's the best way to play FFVII these days?

There's a new mod coming out soon, called the Final Mix+ Mod. It looks absolutely amazing, has over 25 playable characters, new quests, a lot of new optional boss fights, all new characters models, weapon models etc. It's perhaps the only FF7 mod where the models don't stand out and stay true to the original game's design.

You can watch a playthrough of the mod here.

If just want the mod just quickly blow your mind, watch this. But it's a spoiler, so be warned.

It's not released yet, but will be released soon.

Last edited:

IceyD

Scholar
play the original PSX version IMO. the super sharp polygons of the ports are just weird to me.

as for the Remake, anyone feel that scorp tank fight was a bit exhausting even to watch? barret's dialogue was getting a bit much as well.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It is. It lasts absurdly long and seems completely overblown in its scale and style. Also, I don't think it's ever been a good idea to have characters talk in the middle of a fight. The only person ever who has managed to pull it off is Kojima, and a big part in that is that his approach to boss fights is not endless 'splosions when it's time to do character stuff. Barrel doesn't love to reload during a battle, slamming long silver bullets into a well-greased chamber.

Not to mention this doesn't even tell you to attack when its tail is up.

Jinn

Arcane
So what's the best way to play FFVII these days?

I actually just installed the steam version with the retranslation last night (The Reunion Mod) - leaving the model overhaul out because it's hideous - as it's been probably over ten years since my last playthrough. I tried installing the Remako mod for HD background art, but only got it half working. That one was a bit too much of a pain in the ass so I gave up on it. If you can figure it out, it looks to be worth it.

I also wanted a little added difficulty, so I tried the Gjoerulv's Hardcore mod, but didn't really like what I saw from the opening section already seeming to require a fair amount of grinding. hay's Reasonable Difficulty Mod seems like it would be a better option as me, because I want just that - a reasonable difficulty rather than just piss easy till end game stuff.

Anyway, The Reunion retranslation really seems like the most essential addition, unless you really want to experience the fairly botched original localization.

Beastro

Arcane
Seriously they should of just made this shit into a movie.

Square tried that 20 years ago and almost killed themselves off. Even when they kept trying with Advent Child the result wasn't what the were hoping for.

They've wisely learned that they can't make movies. Unfortunately, they still want to keep making them so they've snuggly fit back into making them vicariously through their games ever since.

Anyway, The Reunion retranslation really seems like the most essential addition, unless you really want to experience the fairly botched original localization.

Isn't half the charm of JRPGs the bad translations? Awhile back I tried out the GBA version of FFII(IV) and found so much of the games charm missing because of the updated localization. The happy go lucky, derring-do charm the SNES one had was replaced by some moody, serious tone that just reminded me of when bad fiction tries to act overly serious while failing to actually create an appropriately serious tone.

Also, I don't think it's ever been a good idea to have characters talk in the middle of a fight.

I've found it only works with the old fashion dialogue boxes of older games. Once you start voicing things it becomes a step too far that makes you begin to wonder wtf they're having instead of being limited to shouting commands and directions to each other like soldiers.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Isn't half the charm of JRPGs the bad translations? Awhile back I tried out the GBA version of FFII(IV) and found so much of the games charm missing because of the updated localization. The happy go lucky, derring-do charm the SNES one had was replaced by some moody, serious tone that just reminded me of when bad fiction tries to act overly serious while failing to actually create an appropriately serious tone.

It can add to the charm, but when you're dealing with a plot like Final Fantasy VII's, the bad translation can actually get in the way of conveying certain essential plot points in clearly understandable way. It's all personal preference, but since I've already played the game with the cheap original localization, I'd like to experience it with something more faithful to the original Japanese version.

On a side note, it looks like you can't install hay's Reasonable Difficulty Mod with the steam version, so I might just try powering through the bombing run with Gjoerulv's Hardcore mod and see if it evens out a bit later on. It's so funny how these old JRPGs have combat systems that could be a lot of fun and challenging, but they only really utilize the mechanics to their full potential for a few boss fights throughout the game. It was fine when I was a kid playing them, but it's hard to get engaged nowadays if the game isn't presenting much of any kind of challenge. I'd rather deal with some frustrating aspects of a difficulty mod than breeze through the game selecting attack repeatedly.

Beastro

Arcane
It was fine when I was a kid playing them, but it's hard to get engaged nowadays if the game isn't presenting much of any kind of challenge.

Same. I into that years ago with FFIII(VI) and the jump in difficulty the GBA Dragon dungeon had that made it a joy for a couple fights until I adjusted. Made me wish the entire game had been that way.

Puukko

Arcane
FF7's been on my mind occasionally the past few months, not because of this remake, but because of that mod that enhances the prerendered backgrounds. Conceptually I just find it incredibly cool and I want to see it in action, which might be enough for me to finally get into the series after my past attempts really went nowhere.

At least the remake will have detailed models for use in... other ventures.

index.php

Arcane
https://gematsu.com/2019/06/final-f...event-new-events-dialogue-options-and-enemies
The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu has an interview with Final Fantasy VII Remake director Testuya Nomura, who shares various new details about the game.

Here are the noteworthy tidbits:

• The watchmen of fate (the black mist in the trailer) are mysterious beings that appear before the party wherever they go. I hope that even those who have played the original game will enjoy the new elements.
  • There are quite a bit of dialogue options. We are making it so the dialogue changes depending on your response, so the sheer volume of dialogue has increased.
  • The Honey Bee Inn cross-dressing event is still in. We’ve made it more modern. If we made the facility like we did in the original game, the physical unease would be staggering, so that was no good…
  • There are quite a few additions to the scenario. While the main story itself hasn’t changed, there are a countless number of new events. Otherwise we wouldn’t have two Blu-ray discs. (Laughs.)
  • Aerith and Tifa are double heroines. One has a western-style look and the other an eastern-style look.
  • We wanted Tifa to have abs, so she has an athletic body type. The ethics department at Square Enix also told us that we had to tighten her chest as not to get unnatural during all the intense action. From there we got the black underwear and fitted tank top.
  • With an emphasis on immersion and exhilaration, you can fight without stress through the use of shortcuts. When you open the command menu, time slows and you can fight like a command battle.
  • Each playable character has different enemy affinities.
  • An item is required for MP recovery.
  • For the sake of level design, we’re preparing a few new enemies where necessary.

IceyD

Scholar
i'm just happy they are mostly faithful to her OG design. well, obviously she looks nothing like she did in the FMVs of the original game, but back then neither did her in-battle character model.

Tigranes

Arcane
"I'm so glad Tifa doesn't have huge tits anymore."

Imagine having a set of testicles and saying that.

Not everybody is titillated by grotesquely enormous boobs transplanted from some kind of weird hippo, much less in pixelated form

Maybe they should be even bigger to please some desperate people, maybe so big they take two squares in a turn based combat grid

But then, the Codex is illuminating on how some people ostensibly with refined tastes for C&C actually just enjoy playing Fallout 4 or something with a modded giant assed female PC

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
This is probably going to be FF15 tier popamole decline anyway so discussing Tifa's tiddies is the most entertainment you get from the game regardless :shittydog:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Not everybody is titillated by grotesquely enormous boobs transplanted from some kind of weird hippo, much less in pixelated form

Maybe they should be even bigger to please some desperate people, maybe so big they take two squares in a turn based combat grid

But then, the Codex is illuminating on how some people ostensibly with refined tastes for C&C actually just enjoy playing Fallout 4 or something with a modded giant assed female PC

What's your female name going to be?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

As a pervert, I only see a win-win in that the new added details on the outfit are pretty cute and scale up perfectly, so the internet will solve the rest for me!

Generic-Giant-Spider

The virgin B-cup vs. the chad E-cup:

VAx8WF6.jpg

Ninjerk

Arcane

What's your female name going to be?
Tigranes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom