Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Bloodstained - Koji Igarashi's new metroidvania game

Perkel

Arcane
OK game has FF9 weapon skill equipment system. Just confirmed it.
Basically you have skills on limited set of equipment which you need to master and then you can use those skills on weapon type not just on those few weapons.

So i learned throw with Basselard and now i can use that skill on Kukri which doesn't have that skill.

Nice.

Exhuminator

Arcane
I started playing this yesterday, have got 2 hours in thus far. I think it's safe to say this is legit. As someone's who's beaten every "Igavania", Bloodstained is easily of the same caliber, albeit evolved in impressive ways. To be honest this game is basically Order of Ecclesia II... and that's a damn good thing. I love it, highly recommended.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
OK game has FF9 weapon skill equipment system. Just confirmed it.
Basically you have skills on limited set of equipment which you need to master and then you can use those skills on weapon type not just on those few weapons.

So i learned throw with Basselard and now i can use that skill on Kukri which doesn't have that skill.

Nice.

ohhh that's how it works

Silentstorm

Learned
I wish i had backed this game, but hey, i guess pre-ordering and getting the DLC is already good!

But yeah, this game is certainly not another Mighty No.9 and it's only getting more content in the future, certainly worth checking out, so...Bloodstained is a franchise that has two good games already, it may be an answer to Castlevania, but it's a damn good one and Konami isn't doing much these days so, yeah, i hope we get more Bloodstained games in the future, in both metroidvania and classic platformer styles.

RoSoDude

Arcane
From what I can gather Nightmare mode doesn't give you XP and you can't level up, I assume it has hard mode styled enemies but it might have different changes as well.
Ah, so Nightmare Mode is just Hard Mode Max Level 1 from PoR/OoE. I always prefer to tackle that in NG+ so I have all of my options from the getgo and I just need to use them right; all execution and no grinding. Looks like I'll do one run of Normal to blast through the game at a relaxed pace, one run of Hard Mode for a challenge, and then NG+ that file into Nightmare for a brutal test of my skills. This was the best way to play Igarashi's previous games IMO, so I'm glad it's back.

Thank you Iga, very cool :love:

Curratum

Flying sword cheese time! Man, this game is SO good! Seeing the samurai dude for the second time, seeing what he does... He is going to be hella fun to play! :bounce:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The fairy familiar tells you when there's a breakable wall there

Curratum

What showed you breakable walls in SotN? The fairy or the fat devil with the pitchfork?

IceyD

Scholar
40% in and i'm pretty addicted. love expanding the castle and my arsenal.

my gripes would be:

- while the game looks pretty decent, the only animation that gets me is the running. just looks chunky.
- character design is tacky and overdone IMO
- very bland storytelling and cutscenes
- not much identity or atmosphere to get immersed in. just feels like a fun-house of goofy creatures and kickstarter shout outs.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Had my first fatal crash, especially after I hadn't saved in some time, grrrr

Hyperion

Arcane
The first one can be used 3 times in a row for massive damage. :obviously:

Blood Grinder Knight rare drop is the Spiral Sword, a Great Sword that hits up to 5x in a single swing.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
So far, I've killed every enemy so many times I get all their drops before I move on to new areas +M

It's not as tedious as it sounds since global drop rates are much higher than in classic Igavanias and even on hard enemies die pretty quickly.

Jinn

Arcane
Also 24K peak players. This is higher than all-time peaks of Deadfire, They Are Billions, Divinity: Original Sin 1, and Nier: Automata.

Hopefully this all means we're going to be seeing a lot more from Iga's studio in the future. Top selling is a good sign, because that means it's not just a bunch of the ~65,000 backers playing it, but a bunch of fresh purchasers as well. All-in-all, this release blew every expectation I had for this game out of the water, including how successfully it would sell. It's so nice when these things actually go well.

Villagkouras

Arcane
One of the songs reminds me of Crucified by Army of Lovers.

Anyway, I haven't played a Castlevania game before, but this one is dope, I'm hooked.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If you like this you'll probably like other Castlevanias. The shard mechanic is directly taken from Aria and Dawn of Sorrow, for example. Check them out, they're fun

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom