Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember someone from dev team (maybe even Swen himself) said in one of countless interview that "everyone will be pleased" or something like that. However, attempt to please everyone can result in pissing everyone and silence about gameplay isn't helping at all.

Maybe they are going for the Arcanum approach.

Allow RT and TB combat and end up with them both being shit.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
inXile CEO Brian Fargo told IGN. "You know, both me and Feargus were chasing (Baldur's Gate III license) for years. [...] I got very, very close at one point."
:shredder:

I linked to an interview several pages ago where Feargus Urqhart, Chris Parker, and MCA were talking about how they'd have approached it. The best version would have been MCA - who would have kept it as it was, and was concerned about moving away from the established characters - but even he would have changed things up for the game after. Considering Brian Fargo is still prepared to make the games he does, I expect a Fargo-MCA alliance would have been the best.
God forbid Sawyer got his hands on it. The Black Hound would have just been POE.
:badnews:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh cmon you can expect mind flayer companion, that's a given, a bit of cliche still interesting enough to see.
"My command is your wish"

https://steamdb.info/app/1086940/history/?changeid=6444968

Heh, Larian manually removed "Turn-Based" tag applied by users on the game's Steam page. That's suspicious.
Can't say I didn't warn you :lol:

POE2 was designed for RTwP, its turn based is just an afterthought.. just like with Kingmaker and its TB mod.
Actually, for an afterthought to play better than the original concept, speaks enough about the original concept's quality. And that's with it being provided that Deadfire's RtwP plays better than PoE's RtwP.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Chris should return to Planescape .. he was born to work on that sort of fantasy setting.
yeah.

spelljammer ftw tho.

if the entire BG3 thing and the dead three turned out to be a massive subvertion and the player really goes off into space/other crystal spheres to acquire a ship and gather a force to stop the illithid invasion of Faerun, I might gain new respect for Larian.

I mean, if the plot was decent and not full of lame jokes that is. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
*sips water*

whatever.

*reinstalls BGT*
Why do you have to "install" BGT,you just have to download it.
FObsc7RE.png

Fairfax

Arcane
What will Planescape 2 be about? I thought it ended in a completed way iirc.
MCA had a couple of ideas for sequels:

Chris Avellone said:
A long time ago, I did kick around the idea of two sequels. One was "Lost Souls," an adventure that allowed the player to experience the events surrounding Torment (both past and future) but the Nameless One wouldn't be in it - it would, however, feature Deionarra, some of the members of the player's first party (Xachariah), Fall-From-Grace, Ravel, Trias, and other major characters and see the Planescape universe from a different perspective. This didn't go much beyond a one-page vision statement, though, and I never submitted it for serious consideration.

One I felt less strongly about (but still liked) was "Planescape: Pariah", which allowed the player to take on the role of Dak'kon and try to unify the githzerai and githyanki, but again, that never went past the vision doc stage.

The reason I never submitted either one was because a direct sequel somehow feels wrong (I feel the game stands on its own, and I don't want to drag a rake through the first game).

I'd be up for another game in the Planescape setting, though. Some of the Planescape mods I've seen for Neverwinter Nights 2 would probably put any ideas I had to shame, though - they're pretty amazing. I know there’s a few guys at work who would also like to do a Planescape game.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's all this talk about PS:T 2; hasn't there been enough butthurt, sodomy and perversion hinted at so far?.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What will Planescape 2 be about? I thought it ended in a completed way iirc.
MCA had a couple of ideas for sequels:

Chris Avellone said:
A long time ago, I did kick around the idea of two sequels. One was "Lost Souls," an adventure that allowed the player to experience the events surrounding Torment (both past and future) but the Nameless One wouldn't be in it - it would, however, feature Deionarra, some of the members of the player's first party (Xachariah), Fall-From-Grace, Ravel, Trias, and other major characters and see the Planescape universe from a different perspective. This didn't go much beyond a one-page vision statement, though, and I never submitted it for serious consideration.

One I felt less strongly about (but still liked) was "Planescape: Pariah", which allowed the player to take on the role of Dak'kon and try to unify the githzerai and githyanki, but again, that never went past the vision doc stage.

The reason I never submitted either one was because a direct sequel somehow feels wrong (I feel the game stands on its own, and I don't want to drag a rake through the first game).

I'd be up for another game in the Planescape setting, though. Some of the Planescape mods I've seen for Neverwinter Nights 2 would probably put any ideas I had to shame, though - they're pretty amazing. I know there’s a few guys at work who would also like to do a Planescape game.
Both ideas are not very good. The game should have any of the same characters,that way it won't feel like some cheap franchise that puts pointless characters for milking the nostalgia cows. It could have a quest where you have to kill the serial killer incarnation of the one.

I would be interested if it is set in the same or similar setting. The whole atmosphere of misery and pain was very interesting. The whole place felt very medieval,the mentality of "life is miserable but we shall perceiver" was great.

Ziggy

Scholar
Tell me, ladies and gentlemen, when was the last time WotC even aknowledged the existence of Planescape factions?

a lot, in the past few years. Small references to planescape and spelljammer keep popping up here and there. Giff stated in Volo's guide, then an illithid pirate spelljammer captain in Dungeon of The Mad Mage, then a modron in Lost Laboratory of Kwalish, and so on. Never anything major, but it keeps happening.

Fairfax

Arcane
Tell me, ladies and gentlemen, when was the last time WotC even aknowledged the existence of Planescape factions?

a lot, in the past few years. Small references to planescape and spelljammer keep popping up here and there. Giff stated in Volo's guide, then an illithid pirate spelljammer captain in Dungeon of The Mad Mage, then a modron in Lost Laboratory of Kwalish, and so on. Never anything major, but it keeps happening.
5E does have Planescape references and content, but he asked about the factions, which haven't been used. The Planescape setting is still fucked because of the Faction War (which was never finished due to WotC killing the product line). Most factions were wiped out or disbanded, while the rest were exiled. Any content about Planescape factions would have to retcon the whole thing (plus other modules) or explain what happened to the factions in the ~120 years since the war, which is why they've been avoiding the issue entirely.

retcon the whole thing (plus other modules) or explain what happened to the factions in the ~120 years since the war
is that really so hard? making shit up and/or retconning never really seemed to bother WotC. I mean, they basically just undid half of 4e with 5e.

I think it all just didn't sell well.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Audio interview by Jason Schreier: https://player.fm/series/kotaku-splitscreen/how-baldurs-gate-3-came-together

E3 2019: Jason Schreier talks to Larian Studios boss Swen Vincke and D&D creative chief Mike Mearls about how the Baldur's Gate 3 deal came together, what it's like to make a video game based on Dungeons & Dragons in 2019, and whether Minsc and Boo will be in the game. They talk about the confusion of D&D spell slots, the "infinite possibilities" in a game like this, and how great role-playing games are made.

https://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3/rss.art19.com/episodes/1f188c51-4594-42d9-a255-7d2f528ad8bc.mp3

An excerpt: https://kotaku.com/the-ranger-class-is-getting-some-changes-in-d-d-and-ba-1835659585

The Ranger Class Is Getting Some Changes In D&D (And Baldur's Gate 3)

How is Baldur’s Gate 3 going to implement the modern rules of Dungeons & Dragons? Last week in Los Angeles, we sat down with creative director Swen Vincke and D&D head honcho Mike Mearls on a bonus episode of Kotaku Splitscreen to discuss. One thing you can definitely expect: the ranger is getting some changes.

We talked about how the recently-announced Baldur’s Gate 3 deal came together, why Divinity: Original Sin 2 developer Larian Studios wound up with the project, the challenges of converting a tabletop game with infinite possibilities into a limited video game, and some of D&D’s most confusing mechanics (like spell slots). Vincke and Mearls also teased some big changes for the ranger class.

Listen above, or read an excerpt:

Mike Mearls: One of the things that’s been nice is that [Baldur’s Gate 3developer Larian and D&D steward Wizards of the Coast] have a very similar design culture. So there was one instance where, as we look at our character classes, we look at feedback we get in the tabletop space. There was one class we were working on at that got a lot of negative feedback, so I shot an email over to Nick [Pechenin, systems designer] about “Hey, we’re looking at making some changes, potentially playtesting some new material for this class in tabletop, just to let you guys know.” And he actually got back to me and said, “Hey for this class, actually that same exact issue has come up, and here’s what we’re looking at doing.” It was almost like we had already shared notes.

Jason: What’s the class?

Mearls: Oh, I dunno.

Jason: You can’t give that whole example and then not say what it is.

Mearls: I dunno, because [turning to Vincke] I don’t want to step on any of your announcements.

Swen Vincke: I’m fine. You can talk about the class.

Mearls: I can say purely from a tabletop space, one of the things we found was that the ranger character class, in tabletop players really felt the first couple of levels, they weren’t really making choices that they felt were having a real impact on gameplay... One of the things we learned is that we had some assumptions about how exploration would play out in the game back when we were developing 5th edition—we thought, “Oh, we’ll give the rangers some of these toys to play with because exploration is part of the game.” And we’ve just found that either a lot of DMs don’t use a lot of the sub-systems that those spoke to, or they weren’t really coming up on a level of play at the table that was actually impactful to the narrative.

The ranger, for instance: Oh, I’m gonna pick desert as my favored terrain. We can’t get lost in the desert. Which sounds great—I wouldn’t want to get lost in the desert. But when you’re playing a tabletop role-playing game, it basically means, “OK, you’ve crossed the desert, you’re done.” It’s not really giving the ranger a chance to shine. So we’re looking at maybe play-testing this summer some new options that complement what’s there without overriding it. One of the hard things about working in tabletop is you can’t patch a physical book—unless you’re willing to break into everyone’s house and paste in new things.

Jason: Which you should try to do.

Mearls: Yeah, I mean Amazon’s got drones. That won’t end poorly, right? So yeah, we’re looking at ways, how can we kind of bridge that gap—how can 2019 Mike work within the constraints of 2014 Mike’s world and take those five years and apply them to a game without disrupting everyone’s campaigns?

Fairfax

Arcane
retcon the whole thing (plus other modules) or explain what happened to the factions in the ~120 years since the war
is that really so hard? making shit up and/or retconning never really seemed to bother WotC. I mean, they basically just undid half of 4e with 5e.

I think it all just didn't sell well.
Yes, they've retconned quite a bit already, including the 4E cosmology. It's now closer to older editions and Planescape-friendly again. Anyway, I wasn't suggesting the factions are the reason why they don't bring Planescape back. I was just explaining why they've reintroduced many Planescape elements without mentioning the factions. The sourcebooks mention several Planescape elements here and there, but never in detail. They're just there to confirm that 5E is mostly compatible.

Also, the Planescape line didn't sell poorly, it did fine. It was killed for other reasons, but that's a different story.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
So a ranger can:

- Shoot arrows
- Wear some armor
- Fight with a sword
- Track some shit
- Have an animal companion
- Skin hides
- Help the party survive in the wilds
- Wear cool green hoods
- Shoot some more arrows

What else is he supposed to do? Weave baskets?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem of Rangers in D&D has always been that it's basically a cross between a Druid and a Rogue/Thief and they've never really gotten anything truly unique to them to justify their existence gameplay wise. In a tabletop setting, where their non-combat utility can shine, they are ok, but in video games they've always been less than meh. It's good they are trying to find/invent something cool about them.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The ranger is fine. He has a role to play. They're just gonna make him more fighterish. if that's the case, get rid of the ranger class and make it a fighter subclass. DONE.

You know damn well why they mentioned rangers in particular. Minsc.
EVERY THING OLD IS NEW AGAIN
REFERENCE
MINSC
YOU REMEMBER MINSC, RIGHT?
BUY PRODUCT
REFERENCE
BUY PRODUCT
REMEMBER
BUY PRODUCT
BUY PRODUCT
BUY PRODUCT

:thingsareokay:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom