Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Writing Hall of Infamy

Curratum

Gothic 1/2/3, Risen 1/2/3. Bite me!

Edit: Sorry, nearly forgot Torment Tides of Numenera.

Saduj

Arcane
I like plots that are personal to the PC or PC’s faction. Smaller scale. I don’t like plots involving having to save the world by using the macguffin to bring the stars back into alignment which will restore the cosmic balance thus saving the universe because reasons.

I don’t hate Numanuma Torment like many here. But one of the biggest disappointments to me was that it seemed like the plot would be about a conflict specific to the PC but it ended up being a world is in dangers because metaphysical nonsense plot. I hate antagonists like The Sorrow. If they had made it about the Changing God just wanting his body back, I would have liked it more- although not very Tormenty I suppose.

Covenant

Savant
Dragon's Dogma. Like far too many Japanese games with a focus on story, it's the nugget of a good idea twisted around endless 'deep' implications that don't actually mean anything.

mondblut

Arcane
Somehow nobody ever comes to book-readers' forums to say "LOL, your books have such a shitty gameplay!"

We reserve that for PST and other "visual novels" and other C&CYOA "games" :smug:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Somehow nobody ever comes to book-readers' forums to say "LOL, your books have such a shitty gameplay!"

We reserve that for PST and other "visual novels" and other C&CYOA "games" :smug:
It seems that the brain really gets weaker as you age.

What does a book's consists of? Writing, and sometimes illustration, whether on the cover or in between the pages. "Gameplay" doesn't exist on books. You don't watch a movie and complain about "interior quality" either, because a movie doesn't have that.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
There's a tonne of awful writing in RPGs. The "conversations" generated by the radiant AI in Oblivion have to be the top for me though. It's not that they were just senseless non-sequiturs strung together incoherently like two meth addled junkies tripping on brown acid trying to work out a deal, but that they had the gall to try and push it as revolutionary and natural.

Shadenuat

Arcane
fallout 3 and generally nu bethesda - probably cringiest writing in the industry and maybe worst in history of rpgs
poe1 (but mostly due to inconsistency, overly wordyniess, and sawyers autism) and backers also putting their garbage into game), poe2 (that one is just bad on all fronts)
dos2
nu-bioware (starting da2 but really it began earlier, the problem is combination of bad writing + taking your bad writing too seriously)
numanuma (example of plagiarism gone totally wrong + more words than shakespeartolstoevsky)

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
FizXC.png

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
As much as I love System Shock 2 ...

Guy on 1st Floor: Meet me in the security wing data closet!
Player arrives in data closet to find body
Shodan: See, meatpuppet, what I do with those who are at odds with my purpose?

Gal on 2nd Floor: Help, get here fast! We are running out of air!
Player arrives to find dead bodies in airlocked room.
Shodan: Insect!

VIP on 3rd Floor: This was all my doing. Come to my office and I'll explain.
Player arrives to empty office. Trial of blood on floor and holotape on desk.
VIP recording on holotape: It's about time you arrived. Now lets get down to ... WAIT! You aren't... ARGH!!!...

Scientists on next floor: Help we're trapped in this elevator!
Player sees elevator whizzing by, Scientists Screaming, and then hears a big crash. Player climbs down and loots bodies.

I mean, one of these is ok, but ... every floor man.

Wunderbar

Arcane
somebody give hivemind a shitposter tag again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom