Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol taken down from Steam because the licensed music rights have expired

The Real Fanboy
Maybe Josh will work on this next
QSGbFWI.png

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hopefully it won't take too long for the game to be available for sale again.

I have a feeling Obsidian forgot about this entirely...

Xeon

Augur
I hope they release bug fixes and improvements if possible, that would be amazing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It would probably be a waste of Obsidian's time to do that, but outsourcing it to some external studio that specializes in remasters like Aspyr could be nice.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It would probably be a waste of Obsidian's time to do that, but outsourcing it to some external studio that specializes in remasters like Aspyr could be nice.

I'm sure they would be more productive with a new community manager ;)

Latelistener

Arcane
Maybe Cainarsky will take care of Alpha Protocol. I'm not really sure if they will be able to make a sequel for Outer Worlds, so...

Although I don't believe that MS / Obsidian will greenlight it. Judging by how the whole situation was handled Feargus probably completely forgot about this game or a contract they made 10 years ago.

Quillon

Arcane
Maybe Cainarsky will take care of Alpha Protocol. I'm not really sure if they will be able to make a sequel for Outer Worlds, so...

Although I don't really believe that MS / Obsidian will greenlight it. Judging how the whole situation was handled Feargus probably completely forgot about this game or a contract they made 10 years ago.

AP came to their attention many times and they always said "its up to SEGA" or teased us when SEGA said they'll revive old IPs, they shouldn't be oblivious to the IP passing to them... tho I bet it was a deal, maybe goodwill from SEGA to MS with Obs' request since SEGA was pretty big in Xbox conference.

Hellion

Arcane
During Deadfire's Fig campaign conclusion stream back in the day, somebody on Twitch had asked Feargus if they would ever consider doing an Alpha Protocol sequel. If I recall correctly, his response was "we'll see... stranger things than that have happened".

At least he still remembers the game and didn't respond "Alpha WHAT?" or something like that.

The Real Fanboy
During Deadfire's Fig campaign conclusion stream back in the day, somebody on Twitch had asked Feargus if they would ever consider doing an Alpha Protocol sequel. If I recall correctly, his response was "we'll see... stranger things than that have happened".

At least he still remembers the game and didn't respond "Alpha WHAT?" or something like that.

I’m totally “Alpha WHAT?” lol but the game is kind of cute from what I’ve seen on YouTube!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Worried for a moment because Alpha Protocol was one of the last disc games I bought before giving up the dream and ditching them all, and I wasn't sure I ever got a replacement digital version. Just checked and it's in my Steam library though, so crisis averted. Now I can popamole and minigame again.

If it had licensed music I worry there's a chance Obsidian have the rights back but can't just slap it back up for sale? Hopefully it doesn't effect anything.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Worried for a moment because Alpha Protocol was one of the last disc games I bought before giving up the dream and ditching them all, and I wasn't sure I ever got a replacement digital version. Just checked and it's in my Steam library though, so crisis averted. Now I can popamole and minigame again.

If it had licensed music I worry there's a chance Obsidian have the rights back but can't just slap it back up for sale? Hopefully it doesn't effect anything.

At worst they would have to remove the licensed tracks. There are not that many. Microsoft has enough money anyway. If they decided to use the IP, they'll use it.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I wouldn't get my hopes for AP2. SEGA wouldn't book sequel for Alien Isolation which was far more successful game than AP.
I'd rather they make sci-fi game similar to Deus EX or Cyberpunk.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Remember, Alpha Protocol was originally meant to be an Obsidian-owned IP like The Outer Worlds. Obsidian actually ceded it to SEGA during the game's development because they needed more development funds. And that may have happened...exactly a decade ago.
More like 13 years ago, no? Dwarfs's cancellation in 2006 is what forced Obsidian to give the IP rights to SEGA.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So it was just a good old IP transfer. The funny thing is that when we see Obsidian games announced or during events, they never use Alpa Protocol when they present them as ”the creators of Insert Title.
I’d like to see another AP game, but only if the right people are working on it and if it has the same reactivity.
On one hand, Microsoft probably don’t care much about the game. It didn’t sell enough to please SEGA. On the other hand, a polished Alpha Protocol game could do really well if they market it right.
In the end, if this was just rights for IP expiring, I have really low hopes. All I expect is to see the game being sold again, with Microsoft as publisher.

Quillon

Arcane
MGSV gameplay

If only they can manage...

The funny thing is that when we see Obsidian games announced or during events, they never use Alpa Protocol when they present them as ”the creators of Insert Title.

Watch Obs' MS acquisition vid, they is a lot of some AP in there :D

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom