Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Things are looking up, eh?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He just likes cutscenes.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2
- Not an RPG
- I loved Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. Haven't played a Nintendo game since then. Maybe one day I'll do something to rectify that inequity.

Ocarina of Time is almost impossible for me to play now because of the 20fps lock. I played Wind Waker not long ago though and it holds up surprisingly well, very unique world and look and it's fairly open from the start. Main issue with it is the game is super easy. Twilight Princess I found way too linear and annoying to play for various reasons, didn't make it through.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
If things are looking better, it's only because we've reached rock bottom and everything looks better (but will never the less descend further).

Basically this ^ ^

Consumer standards have eroded so much that stuff which was/is shit suddenly became good. Half of today's shit wouldn't fly back in the day.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
- Not an RPG
- I loved Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. Haven't played a Nintendo game since then. Maybe one day I'll do something to rectify that inequity.

Ocarina of Time is almost impossible for me to play now because of the 20fps lock. I played Wind Waker not long ago though and it holds up surprisingly well, very unique world and look and it's fairly open from the start. Main issue with it is the game is super easy. Twilight Princess I found way too linear and annoying to play for various reasons, didn't make it through.
Emulation

deuxhero

Arcane
If things are looking better, it's only because we've reached rock bottom and everything looks better (but will never the less descend further).

Basically this ^ ^

Consumer standards have eroded so much that stuff which was/is shit suddenly became good. Half of today's shit wouldn't fly back in the day.

I've literally seen PS2 budget pachinko sims with more care put into them than modern games.

mondblut

Arcane
When you compare the new action RPGs to the greatest ones during late 90s/early 2000s, you can debate which ones were better overall, but the new ones do things the old ones did not, and break new ground in various areas. There was nothing in late 90s like Witcher's writing and dialogues and characterization, or the systems and combat in KCD, or the world interaction in BotW or the vertical exploration and C&C in ELEX, or the combat and world design in Dark Souls, or the combination of C&C and open-world as in New Vegas.

But in the isometric subgenre, there is nothing even close to that. Shadowruns, ATOM, Underrail, D:OS, PoE, Wasteland, all these games re-do the same stuff games in late 90s did, just worse. Kingmaker's shitty strategy mini-game does not count as breaking new ground. So there is no parallel there.

That's because action games are bottom of the barrel trash targeted at drooling retards, and have infinite potential to grow until they have a chance to impress someone with an IQ above room temperature. You literally can't imagine more dumbfuckery of a game than an FPS or a platformer, it can only go up from there. That's how most of them became "akshun rpgs" in process. In 20 years from now they might even become turn-based or start featuring a party of characters.

Proper RPGs, OTOH, have already reached the pinnacle of perfection by mid-90s and there is nowhere more to grow.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I wish they only announced games that were due soon. I don't need to know about 100 things that might be good but probably wont be in a year or two or five. Also even when a game finally does release, it is broken and shitty. It needs another 18 months of patches and then ideally another 18 more for some mods to make it less bad.

jf8350143

Liturgist
At least there are some games that can be considered RPG this year, that's is not something I can say last year.

That's because action games are bottom of the barrel trash targeted at drooling retards, and have infinite potential to grow until they have a chance to impress someone with an IQ above room temperature. You literally can't imagine more dumbfuckery of a game than an FPS or a platformer, it can only go up from there. That's how most of them became "akshun rpgs" in process. In 20 years from now they might even become turn-based or start featuring a party of characters.

Proper RPGs, OTOH, have already reached the pinnacle of perfection by mid-90s and there is nowhere more to grow.

The edge is strong with this one...

You know, there is no objective measure by which iso/tactical RPGs can be shown to be deeper or more intelligent than action RPGs. The only inherent conceptual difference is in terms of combat being more player-skill based or character stat based, and that doesn't mean anything on its own. For instance, player skill involved in an action RPG could be fairly tactical (think a deep military sim like Operation Flashpoint or a really in-depth melee combat system, next level of KCD2), while most tactical RPGs have faily shallow tactical decision trees (e.g. cast highest damage spell off cd, move tanks up front, use cc when available). Similarly, an action RPG could have deep C&C (Bloodlines, New Vegas) while a "proper" RPG could have very little (Baldur's Gate games).

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Kingdom Come is medieval Oblivion but also somehow worse with everyone being a HEMA larper , shitty lock-on combat with slow motion, and completely uninteresting character building. Also you have to play as an ugly slav.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
emulation of the 3DS port. Or possibly the Wii VC version.

Wii and WiiU VC versions are 20fps. 3DS emulator makes you keep the second screen up and use the mouse to interact with it, meh. I don't miss the game enough to fuck with either of these things when I've got literally 100 PC games on my list to get around to.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
emulation of the 3DS port. Or possibly the Wii VC version.

Wii and WiiU VC versions are 20fps. 3DS emulator makes you keep the second screen up and use the mouse to interact with it, meh. I don't miss the game enough to fuck with either of these things when I've got literally 100 PC games on my list to get around to.
Shooting from the hip here, but I'm pretty sure you can set 3DS emulators to show screens side by side. If you have two monitors, then blow up the screen so one half covers a whole monitor.
But yeah, I don't miss it enough. I love my memories of that game, but I don't think I would gain anything from revisiting them. It's not like you can play anything differently.

Black Angel

Arcane
How on earth is Underrail's gameplay NOT overall better than Fallout's? No, I'm not saying it has The Best™ gameplay out there or that it automatically makes it better than any 90s' RPGs, but come on.
  • A lot of you guys complained about how you can, say, spam OP spells like Harm in Arcanum or eyeshots in Fallout. Not that I personally thought it's a bad thing, it's fun so whatever. But come Underrail who tried to prevent that with its cooldown mechanics, and here you guys shit at it all the same.
  • Underrail has an actually working stealth mechanics, complete with Detection as a derivative stat and visual feedback to show players if they're detected or not. NPCs and enemies would even start searching around once their indicator goes orange. Couple this with the game's sound design where you can bait someone to go to a specific place by detonating a TNT charge for example, and it's just really really fun playing stealth in Underrail.
  • Pickpocketing mechanics that completely and utterly eliminated the need to savescum.
  • Traps isn't just used as a passive skill to detect and disarm traps or even only sparingly used in quests, but can also be used actively to alter the battlefield to your liking and even determine the outcome of the next encounter.
  • PSIONICS! I mean, yeah it could've more been used for non-combat purposes, but still...
Underrail also has quests designs that's pretty much on par with any of the good Fallout games, if we exclude 1.5: Resurrection and Nevada that is because these two is completely different beasts of their own, so combined with overall better gameplay, I just don't get the notion that Underrail achieved nothing compared to Fallout.

Oh, really? Try again having an opinion?

How about you try again, newfag?
One word: Oculus.

Not only this is one of the best side-content ever made in modern cRPGs, it's also the single thing that's so memorable with lots of cool dialogue and reactivity.

Newfags clinging to some new game that has a vague oldschool vibe and then pretending they're totally hardcore, while being unable to actually play the old games are the worst.
What the actual fuck does this has to do with me personally and my points? Or are you not only retarded but also fucking blind you didn't see me shilling for Fallout's freeform gameplay for the last 3 fucking years? And me getting orgasm for 1.5: Resurrection, Nevada, the upcoming Sonora and Mutants Rising doesn't mean anything to you?

Same story as with the likes of ... Dark Souls.
Half of people saying things like this in the Codex doesn't even play the game, and it's plain obvious you're one of them.

Do you also think Dark Souls is an extreeeeeme game, too?
I found this specific comment funny for two reasons. First, like I said above, it's obvious you haven't even tried the game. And if you actually did and participated in the Codex thread for the game, you would've known I'm not one of those people who praised Dark Souls solely or mostly for its difficulty.

As for the second reason, in context of this thread it's utterly retarded to make that particular comment at me, who's objecting the notion of akshun RPGs getting it better than TB iso RPGs in recent times made by OP. Yeah, the more I see you interacting with me the more I finally see why you're called FeelTheTards.

I liked Underrail a lot, but its fanbots are almost as stupid as those of AoD. And if I'm not mistaken you're a fanbot of both. One more and you hit the jackpot of stupidity.
So now fanboying for both instead of one over the other is just as wrong :lol:
And all that while assuming I'm one of those who think 'new always better than old' is just :hahano:

Never change, Codex
:shitandpiss:

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
It kinda snuck up on me, but this is the first E3 in a very long time where there were multiple games/RPGs I was interested in.

Cyberpunk 2077
The Outer Worlds
Bloodlines 2
Baldur's Gate 3
Elden Ring
Kingdom Come 2
ELEX 2
Realms Beyond
Stoneshard
Sui Generis
And there all action games.
:0-13:

Swigen

Arbiter
Things are looking up. I’d’ve liked to have seen Shin Megami Tensei 5 on that list but I still am playing 4 so it’s aight.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It kinda snuck up on me, but this is the first E3 in a very long time where there were multiple games/RPGs I was interested in.

Cyberpunk 2077
The Outer Worlds
Bloodlines 2
Baldur's Gate 3
Elden Ring
Kingdom Come 2
ELEX 2
Realms Beyond
Stoneshard
Sui Generis
And there all action games.
:0-13:

Yes, Realms Beyond and Stoneshard.

Are you high or simply whoring for attention from the Codex grognards?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom