Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol taken down from Steam because the licensed music rights have expired

hexer

The funny thing is that when we see Obsidian games announced or during events, they never use Alpa Protocol when they present them as ”the creators of Insert Title.

A Chris Avellone game that Sega publicly buried by stating there would be no sequel since it didn't sell as much as they wanted. I wonder why?

Speaking of the sequel, they could use the Spycraft system.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spycraft

Duraframe300

Arcane
I wonder how MCA feels about this since he repeatedly showed interest in making a sequel :D

WeakWearyEuropeanfiresalamander-size_restricted.gif

*Not really*

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
If Microsoft can't write MCA a check big enough to convince him to come back for AP2, then I'd settle for just bringing Travis Stout back. Dunno how willing he'd be to leave his cushy Ubisoft job, though.

Duraframe300

Arcane
All the reactions from different sites made me realize that a lot of people don't seem to have realized that Microsoft bought Obsidian.

Like tons of people questioning which publisher Obsidian will work with to continue the IP or people being 100% sure that its now going to be an Epic Store Exclusive.

I mean what?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Shit, never got the chance to buy alpha protocol. Guess I will just pirate.
If you were going to buy AP on Steam for legal or moral reasons, then you should know that the retail version is still very much available for purchase at Amazon and other places. There's a patch from SEGA that removes the DRM.

Flou

Arbiter
Sweeet. That Unreal Engine game with multiplayer features better be Alpha Protocol 2 or I will be seriously unhappy!

Seriously though. Just tweak the gameplay from what Sega insisted to actual fun gameplay where you hit what you aim at, come up with a new story and new characters and locales. Keep the hub system and the conversation system and most of the mechanics, just scratch the minigames or make them more fun. Keep the replayability and the length at 15-20 hours per playthrough. Even to this day, I still find out (from youtube) conversations and events that I missed on my 3 playthroughs. Can't say the same for many other similar games. And it's not like there is much competition in real world based crpgs with stealth and good story. It would be a Day 1 purchase for me.

AP had all the fucking tools to beat Mass Effect. It got killed due to it being released after ME2 (when it was supposed to be released before it) and Sega's decision to make it play more as a crpg (thus ruining any shooter game mechanics).

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
commie because of Brayko?

Hehehe yeah Brayko was actually a really good stereotype of the 90's slav villain...we actually had that type of 80's influenced crim with mullet etc. popular in the early-mid 90's. Not so much in the 00's, but as a diehard throw back he made sense.

But Heck was great, the reactivity was awesome...the game just needed to have taken Splinter Cell mechanics instead of the actual jankiness like 'invisibility in full view' skills etc. and it would have been a classic for the ages instead of a cult game with a lot of great stuff and equal amount of jank.

norolim

Arcane
Hmm... I have an old CD Projekt distributed DVD copy of AP, that I never installed. I wonder if I'll be able to activate it now :|.

Quillon

Arcane
I have a feeling Obsidian forgot about this entirely...

If that was the case Obs would have tweeted out a wishful comment by now; "We'd love to make a sequel but bla bla". IMO, either they've been working on it or will start to work on it, not ready to announce anything yet.

cloudropis

Educated
Fuck yes.
Remaster it, and do it now, also make the hacking minigame twice as hard and kB+m only. I want fuckers to learn how to not move their mouse like a gorilla.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom