Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
They should hire people who have zero attachment to videogames because hiring people based on something they did 25 years ago is how we end up with dozens of really shitty "spiritual successors"

So a ranger can:

- Shoot arrows
- Wear some armor
- Fight with a sword
- Track some shit
- Have an animal companion
- Skin hides
- Help the party survive in the wilds
- Wear cool green hoods
- Shoot some more arrows

What else is he supposed to do? Weave baskets?
shoot arrows at barrels

Mortmal

Arcane
That would be bad for several reasons. Counterspell is a 3rd-level spell. No rational player uses it lightly. Letting it trigger on any spell (which includes cantrips) would be stupid. Also, reactions can be used at any point in the round, so when would that decision be made? And how would the player choose which spell slot to spend with Counterspell? What if another opportunity to use a reaction comes up, would they automatically lose it? That would be a major change to the ruleset.
nobody is going to implement it with this much autism unless it's a mod
No modder can do that , it would require a quasi sentient IA to do that well. A very interesting game mechanics but quite unconvenient , easily forgettable .Especially painful when as DM you finish to roll all the damage for fireball and applied it to everyone just to get some player say "Oh i use counterspell as free action i forgot sorry".Could still be scripted with minimal effort, IA counterspell if players target a large group of npcs, or if its going to charm some critical npc. I doubt they are even going to implement it , remember NPC schedules were dropped in divos and that would require lot more effort.

The reason a "ranger" class exists is because imagination-impaired people wanted to "be Aragorn". In reality, this is a fighter-rogue who is good at tracking/working in the wilds. Done. You don't need a class for that at all.
even a real world army ranger is a "fighter" (soldier) with additional outdoor survival and fighting skills. its basically a type of fighter, so yeah just make a fighter and pick certain skills and call yourself a ranger or join some ranger guild or something maybe or pass som4e ranger test for added game flavor if one wanted.

Codex Year of the Donut
The only way I could think of reactions being implemented properly, and be non-intrusive is to simply give the option to raise a reaction during the enemy's turn if one is available without automatically pausing to ask the player to do so. Press button during turn -> pauses, pops up list of available reactions available to use?
I'd have to go read over the 5e rules again to make sure I understand them properly.

Tbh I think that would add an interesting element to TB by needing to think quick during enemy turns.

Corvinus

Arcane
I like Minsc.

day_34_by_takeda11_daxrggb-pre.jpg

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
In defense of ze D&D artstyle (and this is coming from someone who venerates Frank Frazetta), I have to admit that I find the art direction in 5e D&D absolutley acceptable and sometimes even great. It looks nothing like the picture above, which seems like some 4e supplement depiction of hero characters. Current D&D artstyle is realistic, more mature, grounded, drawn in earthly and darker tones and emphasizing more on a slighlty fantasic but still medieval look. Like the BG III teaser. It's miles above D&D 4e and Pathfinder:
modron-bottom.jpg

I like this style very much 'cause reminds me on Icewind Dale which was the most beautiful one.

The current D&D one is also very nice but more realistic. Jaheira has gorgeous armor.

CharacterSpreadFewer.jpg

Last edited:

Curratum

How triggered will you fuckwads be if after your first miss on an attack roll and with each subsequent miss, the game slices 5% / 1 side of the d20 range in which you would miss? Do you really, genuinely think this is terrible design for a video game?

What would the reasoning be behind that rule? If the cause is sensible, such as say, a magic artifact that alters your "luck", or, in the case of science fiction, a targeting computer which continually adjusts your aim to increase hit probability, I wouldn't mind it.
If "it just works", it is bad, lazy design because it doesn't reflect reality. All the wargames /rpg rules of old are abstractions of reality - id est no wacky shit, beacuse players will deem it unfair if their tank platoon is annihilated by a man with a blackpowder pistol. Not to mention defeating the purpose of said rules; simulating something.

The reasoning would be "avoiding rolling two 1s and three 2s in a row", which, I can fully agree with Vincke, does not work well in a videogame. It's shit at the table as well, but at least the DM can fudge his rolls and it's all ok, not so much in a computer game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, I'm sorry your awesome badass self-insert chad can miss a few times and make him look not so awesome. RPGs thrive on reasonable probabilities and die on too much determinism.

Curratum

Actually, if you roll two 1s and three 2s in a row, you will STILL miss, that was a terrible example. This mechanic is supposed to extend your hit range from an imaginary 15+ you need to 14+, 13+ etc. So EVEN with this, you will still miss on 1s and 2s.

I'm not saying Vincke's implementation or idea is the same, I'm just proposing something that is relatively balanced and doesn't break the game, while offering the player a relatively fair, less swingy RNG combat.

hexer

In defense of ze D&D artstyle (and this is coming from someone who venerates Frank Frazetta), I have to admit that I find the art direction in 5e D&D absolutley acceptable and sometimes even great. It looks nothing like the picture above, which seems like some 4e supplement depiction of hero characters. Current D&D artstyle is realistic, more mature, grounded, drawn in earthly and darker tones and emphasizing more on a slighlty fantasic but still medieval look. Like the BG III teaser. It's miles above D&D 4e and Pathfinder:
modron-bottom.jpg

I like this style very much 'cause reminds me on Icewind Dale which was the most beautiful one.

The current D&D one is also very nice but more realistic. Jaheira has gorgeous armor.

CharacterSpreadFewer.jpg

That art's from Heroes of Baldur's Gate, an unofficial DnD adventure by Arcanum Worlds (co-founded by ex-Bioware designers).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hyperlinks, take me home
To the place I belong
Rip new assholes, with king content
Take me home, hyperlinks

Gibberlings, type some code
Make a mod, for the world
Beamdog takes it, We all hate them
Type some code, Gibberlings

Candlekeep, chanters chant
Sanctum of, Gorion's Ward
Elven arses, Shank and Carbos
Chanters chant, Candlekeep

Candlekeep, chanters chant
Prophecy, of Alaundo
Lord of Murder, he shall perish
Chanters chant, Candlekeep
Nice lyrics, but now I've got the damn song in my head.

Don't worry, they brought Colin McComb on board to help
I see he helped a great lot on TToN...

Corvinus

Arcane
The reasoning would be "avoiding rolling two 1s and three 2s in a row", which, I can fully agree with Vincke, does not work well in a videogame. It's shit at the table as well, but at least the DM can fudge his rolls and it's all ok, not so much in a computer game.

If someone isn't a massive dayouth (I learned a new word), enjoyment comes from overcoming challenges, knowing full well that failure and defeat would lead to permanent negative consequences such as death. The most fun I've had in an RPG campaign is when you survive against all odds. If the scales are balanced in your favour from the start you win by cheating, ergo not enjoyable unless (see above). I don't think you would like playing some PnP RPG with me as a GM if you expect the rolls to be "fudged" just because someone's feelings would get hurt otherwise. It is part of the fun to get angry when you miss! Without both highs and lows "combat" is just an execution simulator.

Actually, if you roll two 1s and three 2s in a row, you will STILL miss, that was a terrible example. This mechanic is supposed to extend your hit range from an imaginary 15+ you need to 14+, 13+ etc. So EVEN with this, you will still miss on 1s and 2s.

I'm not saying Vincke's implementation or idea is the same, I'm just proposing something that is relatively balanced and doesn't break the game, while offering the player a relatively fair, less swingy RNG combat.

How is that "relatively balanced" and "relatively fair" from the perspective of the player's opponents?

Curratum

How is that "relatively balanced" and "relatively fair" from the perspective of the player's opponents?

It's instantly balanced when you implement the same mechanic for enemies. The idea is more to keep things moving, not so much to make the player overpowered.

As for getting angry when you miss, you get that in the proposed system, only next time you miss, you get a statistically meaningful (+10%) improved chance to hit the THIRD time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom