Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Illustrated Guide to the 500+ Best RPGS in the Last 40 Years

Efe

Erudite
Includes good games as well as popamoles but definitely better than mainstream rpg lists..
https://unleashthegamer.com/best-rpg-games/
old? i didnt see it anywhere :negative:
best-rpgs-infographic-list.jpg

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
they list some JRPG, but trails in the sky isn't in it.

felipepe's book have trails in the sky, therefore felipepe's book >>>>> this shit

also no ys or other nihon falcom goodness = shit list

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
That list isn't very helpful, a lot of the categories feel like they just threw random shit together (e.g. Mother and Jagged Alliance)

Also no Darklands, no Wasteland, no Ultima, no Magic Candle, no Goldbox games, ...

Last edited:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I take offense at the visual design of this list. First, the "illustrated" part amounts to only silhouette-style logo. Second, the purple text is barely visible (Though it might be a good thing, since the text is kinda lame). Last, you're presenting a video game topic here, it should be colorful, detailed, and full of excitement, not this minimalist crap.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Uhhh, it lists NEO Scavenger as real time with pause, which it is not. I saw that just glancing at the list—I would be surprised if there are no other inaccuracies.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
There must be something wrong with my eyes, cause I can't find Ultima Underworld or any Ultima games.

giphy.gif

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I took the time to actually look at this shit and the inaccuracy and general stupidity (like how they decide to categorize stuff on thematic similarities first instead of gameplay modes) is hilarious. Just like the design, it feels like the author isn't that enthusiastic with the topic he was listing and rely on generic snark to appeal to the audience.

Mark Richard

Arcane
They're calling Kingdom Hearts low fantasy?

Low fantasy has nothing to do with recognisable people and places from our own world, and more to do with the immutable rules that govern our world. Gravity, for example. You can't casually toss in a warrior swinging a sword bigger than he is, who performs a vertical jump 40 feet in the air to run horizontally along the side of a cliff face, and then have everyone act like they didn't just witness Jesus Christ walking on water. Low fantasy is defined by realistic environments which operate like our own at the basic level, and supernatural elements such as ghosts and magic are either extremely subdued or initially confined to legend. That way when they do show up, it's a huge deal.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Thank God Castlevania: SOTN is on there! Whew! That's my personal favorite... uh... "low fantasy" "topdown isometic" "action RPG".

Ysaye

Arbiter
I didn't think Grimrock was particularly turn-based the last time I played it.

And the original Phantasy Star being missed off as a first person sci-fi turn based...urgh!

Lemming42

Arcane
It's obviously a questionable list but I'm finding one or two things I never heard of before, so :greatjob:

EDIT: Where the fuck is Albion?

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I think with illustrated they mean the category pictures, which are nice but don't help when the overall list is such a massive fuckup

Nyast

Cipher
Wtf is that list ? Am I dreaming or Ultima Underworld isn't even in it ?

In fact, none of the Ultimas are in it or I'm blind. Imagine making a list of the top 500 rpgs of the past 40 years and not putting any of the Ultimas in it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom