Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

The Decline

Arcane
If I travel, for work or pleasure, I bring my laptop. I never need Stadia on the road - there is Steam/Origin/GOG/no-cd.exe's and a mouse.
The travel thing is utterly retarded. You won't get high-speed Internet on either a plane or a train most of the time, you'll be lucky if you have any at all. While walking around sightseeing or whatever you'll be lucky enough to not accrue high Roaming fees while just using Google Maps and the Internet for a bit. And hotel Wi-Fi is often very poor, most of the time you'll be lucky if you can watch a few YouTube videos properly or Stream some Netflix via Chromecast or similar. Buying a gaming laptop if you think you'll somehow require to play games while you travel abroad seems to be a much more realistic plan than Streaming 4K/60 without latency at 16GB+ per hour even if the actual concept somehow worked in most situations.

Don't worry 5G. :happytrollboy:

Honestly you're going to be paying out the ass for bandwidth and data. Might as well pay up front for the hardware and a better gaming experience.

Morkar Left

They make the entry point so easy and cheap to get compared to former price models (buying hardware and single games) that people will jump on it if enough developers join this kind of stuff. And having enough money to bribe developers they will probably agree to join even if it will be their demise in the long run.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
PSNow and Xbox whatever have massive brand recognition and all their exclusives.

Geforce now will have the benefit of cheap GPUs which allows them to pass some savings onto the consumer, and they will probably use their expertise to gain efficiencies there as well.

Google offers... Nothing.

They offer... assuming it works as well as people said Assassin's Creed did in that beta test... 4k gameplay on anything that can run Chrome. That's something, to my knowledge, none of the others are offering. It's that convenience and ubiquity that I think will sell the idea, so it's an important aspect.

On anything that can run Chrome and has access to high speed internet

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Most people have 15mb/s internet. I get well above that on my phone. There's a lot of misguided and frankly delusional detraction & pessimism here. Even if it isn't a success out of the gate, Google can force it to be a success in little time because they have resources above anyone else. Once 5G gets wide adoption the latency is at a point where most people wouldn't even care (if not already at that point now, but it's wait and see until we get independent testing), the average fool is completely fine with subpar experiences as well if you just take a quick glance at this generation of consoles.

Google Fiber.
Picasa.
Hangouts.
Glass.

etc.

This will fail. Game streaming is something nobody asked for or needs. Girls are not going to buy controllers to play Candy Crush, and boys don't want something that can't play the latest shooter. It is the dumbest forced product in this ((((x)))) as a service nonsense marketing we are being served.

Solving a problem that doesn't exist, thanks Google.

Here's 20 to add to Google's failures https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2015/12/15/18-of-googles-biggest-failures-in-pictures/
For a balanced view we should find some of their successes...oh wait...do we include any of their malware/spyware/advertising products?

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Most of these are older than 2012, we are almost 2020 now, I'd say they weren't doing so bad lately.
For a balanced view we should find some of their successes...oh wait...do we include any of their malware/spyware/advertising products?
  • Google search engine, most popular in the world
  • Chrome, 67% of all browsers market share
  • Gmail, most used email
  • Google Drive
  • Android, most popular operating system on non-pc devices
  • Google Maps
  • Youtube
Google's gigantic corporation for a reason.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Most of these are older than 2012, we are almost 2020 now, I'd say they weren't doing so bad lately.
  • Gmail, most used email
  • Google Drive
  • Google Maps
  • Youtube

Lel! So holding a monopoly with huge investment, makes those garbage software above good? You good sheep. All those products are bloatware and spyware+malware. Its popular so its good! :))))))

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Yes, and they'll be broken up into 10 or more smaller companies in less than 10 years.

You are congratulating them for winning a slanted new game where no one knew the rules because they hadn't been figured out yet. Time is on my side; monopolies are anathema to a healthy functioning capitalism and will not be allowed to stand.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most people have 15mb/s internet. I get well above that on my phone. There's a lot of misguided and frankly delusional detraction & pessimism here. Even if it isn't a success out of the gate, Google can force it to be a success in little time because they have resources above anyone else. Once 5G gets wide adoption the latency is at a point where most people wouldn't even care (if not already at that point now, but it's wait and see until we get independent testing), the average fool is completely fine with subpar experiences as well if you just take a quick glance at this generation of consoles.

Most people have 15 mb/s? :notsureifserious:

And even then, you need a connection that's staying stable during all the time you're playing, not like when downloading or streaming.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I know rural Arkansas and potato land have issues with consistent internet, but companies will happily ignore those people if it means the vast majority will pay them monthly for a service they have full control over with no retail split, production costs or hardware install base concerns. The transformation of home video already shows this, or do you think Netflix are sweating the people living on a Polish mountain who can't watch their shit?

• Gmail, most used email
  • Google Drive
  • Google Maps
  • Youtube

And that reason is advertising, they built an empire on bloatware, malware, spyware and spam.
Besides, which of these "products" did they actually make (not buy), and which actually serves the general public and is not spyware?
I'm not really seeing a convincing pattern here, is anyone? They are hardly taking us to the moon, making flying cars, digging tunnels to ease congestion or anything truly innovative...

baud

Arcane
Patron

I know rural Arkansas and potato land have issues with consistent internet, but companies will happily ignore those people if it means the vast majority will pay them monthly for a service they have full control over with no retail split, production costs or hardware install base concerns. The transformation of home video already shows this, or do you think Netflix are sweating the people living on a Polish mountain who can't watch their shit?

I don't disagree that companies will just ignore those than can't access their services, but I think the numbers of people who can reliably access Stadia and are interested isn't that high. Perhaps at another (cheaper) price point it might work, though.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected

I don't disagree that companies will just ignore those than can't access their services, but I think the numbers of people who can reliably access Stadia and are interested isn't that high. Perhaps at another (cheaper) price point it might work, though.
Yes, but at a certain point the ROI isn't worth it and that cheaper price point hopefully relegates this greed scheme to the Hangouts dustbin.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Anyone living anywhere near a major U.S. city has plenty of internet for Stadia's requirements. I'd guess it's the same for Western Europe. That's plenty of people to build a user base off of, same as Netflix did, assuming the service works well enough for the average joe. That's the real question, IMO. If this works like Google are saying it does it'll be a big deal. If it doesn't, it won't.

Plaguecrafter

Novice
Lel! So holding a monopoly with huge investment, makes those garbage software above good? You good sheep. All those products are bloatware and spyware+malware. Its popular so its good! :))))))

Almost every piece of software you use today is some sort of spyware. That argument is no longer valid in 2019.

Thane Solus

Arcane

Almost every piece of software you use today is some sort of spyware. That argument is no longer valid in 2019.

Yeah... we reached peaked idiocracy, or we under way. But on PC you can block most of their spyware (not all). On phones, tvs, and other devices, nop... well beside a few options. Its no longer valid, but we should talk about it to remind us, how good sheeps we have become.

As for Window 10 like i told you, its popular because it has monopoly. They basically forced all companies and users (with upgrades) to change to Windows 10, for nothing, its a bit faster and thats it. For that you get tons on unwanted updates, stupid restarts and errors with no information(an error has occured windows now will kill your PC now), bloat, real spyware, and a shit mobile(touch screen) functionality. Yes you can customize some of it, but some services are cancer by default. You basically have to use several third party programs to make it stable. Until the next hidden update.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Let's all ignore this big software company trying to brute force its way into the gaming economy with a subpar product just because they have infinite money.

It worked well when Microsoft tried to do the same things twenty years ago.

abija

Prophet
They basically forced all companies and users (with upgrades) to change to Windows 10, for nothing, its a bit faster and thats it.
I still haven't seen any real proof win 10 is faster than 7. 10 (just like 8) is 7 with useless crap (for users) added on top.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've honestly never had one problem with Windows 10, but then all I use it for is playing games, posting on forums like this one and looking at highbrow, premium quality adult entertainment.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
They basically forced all companies and users (with upgrades) to change to Windows 10, for nothing, its a bit faster and thats it.
I still haven't seen any real proof win 10 is faster than 7. 10 (just like 8) is 7 with useless crap (for users) added on top.
Windows 10 loads much faster on my main rig, compared to Win 7.

Not "a little faster".

I'm not a fan of the WAAS, but I have had zero issues with any of my games new or old on W10. About to reinstall Ultima 2, will report if I have difficulties but U5 played just fine a couple months ago.

I think most of the W10 complaints (not based on the bad update program (WAAS)) are things moved around in the settings/renamed/obscured, GUI annoyances, and retardation of most "gamers" that can't be arsed to read the readme when they install a game or mod.

I was an early adopter, as I've always been. Get on Paul Thurrott's site and figure it out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom