Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol taken down from Steam because the licensed music rights have expired

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Well, at least this showed that there's not insignificant interests in Alpha Protocol. Who knows this may motivate SEGA or Microsoft to do something about it.

There isn't anything in AP that's too special/iconic to the IP; they just need to want to make a spy RPG and name it something else i.e. spiritual successor :P

Protocol: Tides of Numerica

Edit: Realized I was diverging from the prestigious pattern, so changed Alpha to Numerica.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
Well, at least this showed that there's not insignificant interests in Alpha Protocol. Who knows this may motivate SEGA or Microsoft to do something about it.

There isn't anything in AP that's too special/iconic to the IP; they just need to want to make a spy RPG and name it something else i.e. spiritual successor :P

Protocol: Tides of Alpha

Pillars of Modernity

alternative: Alpha Pro Too Cool

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
I guess Omega Protocol is taken by a board game.

Omaha Protocol: High Steaks

Zed Protocol - a game about sex predation and choppers

Protocol Harum - a reskin of the 80s "Journey" arcade game, with all band members replaced with a cat.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Well technically Microsoft could buy the IP. I don’t think Sega cares at all about the IP so it wouldn’t be too expensive.

The sudden interest certainly would help Obsodians argument towards the higher ups.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm not sure whether it's correct to say that Sega pushed for them specifically.

Avellone confirmed that Sega forced the shrinking reticule business that everyone except grognards hates and that no one at the studio wanted. (old AP infodump of mine https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/alpha-protocol.57232/page-10#post-5196716) :M

Has Better Facial animations than Bloodlines 2

That's the power of expensive mocap. Bloodlines isn't anywhere near so high budget (nor should it be).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
How was the game? Never played it
You might consider playing Alpha Protocol for its non-linear structure and story-based CYOA&C. However, its fundamental design is for a cover-based shooter with dull, linear levels and poorly-wrought game mechanics. Despite being labelled "the espionage RPG" on the box cover, AP isn't close to being an RPG and there's little espionage involved.
:mca:

Wunderbar

Arcane
I guess Omega Protocol is taken by a board game.
16556432_7.jpg

I've already said it a couple of times, but it's worth repeating it - MGSV gameplay + AP attribute/skills and C&C.

That's what I wanted while playing MGSV too, but with some Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction stuff added into the mix as well. MGSV's gameplay, level design, and multiple approaches to missions. Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction use of vehicles, faction stuff, and the amount of things you get to play with. And Alpha Protocol system and C&C stuff for building your character and interacting with important NPCs.

I'm not sure whether it's correct to say that Sega pushed for them specifically.

Avellone confirmed that Sega forced the shrinking reticule business that everyone except grognards hates and that no one at the studio wanted. (old AP infodump of mine https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/alpha-protocol.57232/page-10#post-5196716) :M

Has Better Facial animations than Bloodlines 2

That's the power of expensive mocap. Bloodlines isn't anywhere near so high budget (nor should it be).

The shrinking reticule isn't necessarily the problem with the shooting. I mean, it is a problem, but they could have done it without it being a problem. Splinter Cell has the shrinking reticule too, (it's a staple of Tom Clancy games) and shooting in Splinter Cell was never horrible like early game Alpha Protocol could be. You can slap a lot of nice RPG stuff onto the shrinking reticule, (how wide it gets while moving, how different movement speeds effect it, how fast it snaps back when coming out of movement, how wide or narrow its default state is) and you could augment it with stance changes, it's just they did a shit job of it in Alpha Protocol.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Omega Protocol

Unironically this is the best idea I will ever have in my life: Combine Alpha Protocol with the 1999 Christian fundamentalist propaganda film The Omega Code, where this pan-European guy who is obviously supposed to be Catholic turns out to be the antichrist. Thornton vs. every conspiracy theory about the papacy. I'm telling you, this would totally work.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
STORYFAGGOTRY CASE STUDY

OMEGA SHITOCOOL

One of the typical STORYFAGGOT games, Omega Shitocool is a bad game. It offers good dialogue which influences the action(as much as the budget allowed for it...) and unusual story for RPG's, so it's praised to high heavens even though I've never understood why.

While the storyfaggot part is actually well done, the rest of the game is borderline unplayable. The controls are unresponsive, even aiming, something obvious with mouse, is fucked up because the game forces low sensor resolution or whatever - basically, when you aim at your enemies left ear, the smallest recognisable movement on the right will cause you to aim above his right shoulder - this is the basic fucking thing ffs, have devs EVER made a game in their life? Oh wait, they did...
Fun fact, the game used infamous GFWL and Czech/Potato version didn't worked(like it would help, it was released before XBL/GFWL was avaible in those countries, nevermind that 360 was sold for 5 years now, it's just your classic microsoft) so you've had to use a patch that removed it. The only drawback was - it removed the ability to play the "veteran" playthrough but it's not like anybody with half brain would be able to play it more than one time.
Being shitty Ass Defect(another game I'll write about one day) clone it was, it offered you numerous, awfully linear missions, shitty """"""""""""boss fights"""""""""""" and awful ton of minigames. I must admit the minigames were the best part of the game, given that I care not about their tries to emulate mission impossible in both shitty plot and "dramatic" camera work during cutscenes.

Let's move to the basic gameplay though, shall we?

We're crossing the linear levels killing enemies by using "stealth"(doing headshots with silenced gun after we fix retarded mouse controls in .inis) hacking terminals and picking doors. Sometimes we fuck up and trigger the alarm so then we kill everybody who comes to get us by running close to them and hitting "E" repeatedly. Theoretically it offers some interesting options, like some noise-making gadgets, stun grenades and so on, but outside of one mission where you can't just go in and kill everybody(NSA cell), it doesn't fucking matter, so believe me, you'll do as I say after 2 hours of playing this piece of shit. Move forward, kill enemies with headshots repeat. Oh, I forgot, if you spec in pistol(you should, there's no other useful weapon) you get literal cheat button, hit x, mark 2-3-4 targets and kill them. This is the gameplay in Omega Shitcool. Dialogue system requires mention because it's also shit, even though it's STORYFAGGOTRY that's normally unworthy mentioning. It has dialogue wheel :retarded: and instead of any brief explanations of dialogue options you're picking you have things like "aggressive" or "professional" :retarded::retarded:. Holy fucking shit Obsidian, you have my congratulations for being worse than Bioware. I legitimately thought it's impossible.

I've mentioned that anything other than pistols is useless but I'm not 100 honest because h2h is also nice to have but don't depend on it for your life unless you want to get really shitty """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""bossfight""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" experience. Now the rest is just sad. SMG's have bullet spread so huge that you're better off punching people, assault rifles have zoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom and are useless anywhere above "very far away"(which means that they're useful maybe once during whole mission), shotguns feel like they do less damage than pistols.

Don't think while sneaking it's not worth it. The AI certainly doesn't think and the game is designed so every retard can play it from beginning to the end. Levels are linear as fuck so it's not like you'll get something from exploring them either.

Now let's go to the """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""bossfights""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" - like you have russian mafia boss and the bossfight is about:
shooting meatbag from the cover when he's using guns
circling with him and shooting him on the move when he wants to kill you with knife.

And this for like 5-7 minutes. In fact it's the most varied fight in the game, normally you just sit behind your cover and shoot the faggot till he dies use pistol cheatbutton everytime it's active till he dies.

In theory the game offers multiple paths accessible through dialogues - you can make people friends, make them hate you, everything. The problem is that I couldn't slog through it for the second time to check it so I assume that it is there. That leads to the main problem of the game.

IT MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE. It was designed with multiple-paths in mind yet the gameplay is so boring and the levels are so linear that it actively discourages from playing it multiple times. I don't wonder why we're seeing people who say "I wish games had <skip gameplay> button after playing it, because I wished it myself", it's boring, it's dumb, the only remotely interesting part of it lies in dialogues and to get to them you need to slog through the shitty part(the rest of the game). It really shows how much of a human feces STORYFAGGOTS are - because they've played through it many times. When you waste 90% of time doing something you don't enjoy while playing the game, the game is bad and you should feel bad for liking it.
This is also the example of game where storyfaggotry ruined it. It could have been good stealth game. If they wanted to make good stealth game anyway. However, Obsidian Interactive with this faggot :drink: being the lead behind the game didn't even wanted to make good stealth game. Good stealth game would clash with narrative. Good stealth game would be done without cutscenes. Good stealth game wouldn't be retarded and give elite special agent picked by super secret organisation "upgrade paths" ffs. Even then, if they couldn't make good stealth game at least they could make good action game but no. Similarly to Oblivion or Skyrim fans use years-old excuse - it's not good stealth game because it's RPG when you complain about it being stealth game, when you complain about it offering you very bad character development(3/4th of skills are useless) you'll get response - but it's action-stealth-RPG hybrid! - when you complain about the action part being shit you'll get - but you're AGENT, you're supposed to do stealth, also it's an RPG if you didn't knew lewl.
Instead of making good game they've decided to make shitty game with VN elements in between of shittier parts of it.

BRAVO OBSIDIAN BRAVO I CONGRATULATE YOU ANOTHER WONDERFUL GAME(NOPE, I DON'T)

:excellent::excellent::excellent:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I guess it's a good thing that my copy is physical.

Yeah, if they patch the song out of my Steam copy what will I ever do. If only there were some kind of way to obtain PC games outside of Steam, some way for the community to offer the original version. Maybe it could even be DRM free and able to be backed up without issue. But no, this is impossible. It's a shame.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
AP was a sub par linear corridor shooter.

You'd pick either the guns blazing corridor or the sneaky stealthy corridor.

Pretty much like that the whole game.

I don't remember anything special about the writing or story.

Zep--

Tigranes

Arcane
But Zep, don't you remember recruiting Little Rosy early on in the game???

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom