Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What’s the Verdict on Risen?

Sòren

Arcane
Good info. Appreciate it. Really wish there were more RPGs that required thought and items and spells and unique abilities to pass obstacles and reach special places...

Arx Fatalis? it's not very big, but the exploration part was pretty good. don't remember much about this game though, has been a few years.

sullynathan

Arcane
Risen is fine. It's like a HD Gothic with some pirate themes instead of generic fantasy stuff. Unfortunately, it still has the usual bad Piranha bytes ending of an inept final boss and a long dungeon crawl consisting of fighting lots of enemies.

Tigranes

Arcane
Risen is a very good game, and successfully captures the Gothic formula (a bit too closely, rather).

Skip the final dungeon, but if you played any PB game you know late game's not where it's at.

Master

Arbiter
I hate it. I hated all the Gothic games too. You can't be a mage because the games are too low budget for that. So you do the hack dodge hack dodge dance, all in a gimpy clunky German sort of way, and in a really generic fantasy world with no interesting locations. I can live with pretty much anything as long as the combat is good, but bad combat = no point. If you disagree strongly, you will love this game and all the sequels and all the Gothics, and the Elder Scrolls series will probably make your balls explode.
Literally nothing of what you wrote is true.
You can be a mage, the combat is clunky because your character doesnt know it well yet(rpg), setting (fantasy prison) is original, it has some of the most memorable locations(the camps) in rpgs, and its usually considered the opposite of TES that you recommend as similar.

Last edited:

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
What I'm really in search of is that Might and Magic and Morrowind experience of being able to go anywhere, raid dungeons for powerful artifacts using fun utility spells to solve dungeon obstacles. Preferably a first person rpg (I know Risen is third person but I"m running out of options). No level scaled loot, no barriers that require boring errand running for NPCs. Just pure adventuring and raiding. Starting to Might and Magic and Morrowind (and Daggerfall) are all there is.

There is a levitation spell in Risen, fyi.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Good for what it is. I think the PB ranking goes as such: G2 > G1 > Elex > Risen 1 > Risen 2 > Risen 3 > Gothic 3.

Risen 1 loses points on just being more of the same after the Gothic games, but still infinitely better than Gothic 3.

It Wanted to Purge

I thought the idea of stranding on a beach, getting back on your feet and align to one of the two factions was neatly done (I also liked the inventory and the badass end equipment). Highly recommend. Even though I mistakenly thought you could roll in Risen, seems to be in Risen 2. You would like to continue further in Risen 2, only because of the cameos. The final dungeon is sweetlove.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Good for what it is. I think the PB ranking goes as such: G2 > G1 > Elex > Risen 1 > Risen 2 > Risen 3 > Gothic 3.

Risen 1 loses points on just being more of the same after the Gothic games, but still infinitely better than Gothic 3.
I only played a small amount of ELEX, but isn't the itemization a lot worse than R1? Just like Gothic 1/2, Risen had a lot of hand placed loot and item-based power progression felt meaningful. Similar to the Gothics, you could go explore a hard to reach place and find something unique, or at least memorable. In ELEX, you climb a radio tower and found a not-mana potion.

Morkar Left

I only played a small amount of ELEX, but isn't the itemization a lot worse than R1? Just like Gothic 1/2, Risen had a lot of hand placed loot and item-based power progression felt meaningful. Similar to the Gothics, you could go explore a hard to reach place and find something unique, or at least memorable. In ELEX, you climb a radio tower and found a not-mana potion.

ELEX! has enough of handplaced weapons/loot as well. The world is just bigger. And the placement isn't as well done because you can often get them too easy once you spotted the place.

vazha

Arcane
I see somebody above already suggested Arx Fatalis - you cannot go wrong with this one if you're itching for clever subterranean adventuring. The only two downsides that I remember was the game wasn't as long as I'd like it to be and all the endgame super-weaponz were swords, which I didnt like as I am an axe dude.

As for Risen, strangely enough I preferred second one to the first, although it has some pretty obvious flaws. Third one is worse than Gothic 3 even, avoid at all costs.

vazha

Arcane
It was indeed, but the piratey feel of the second one I enjoyed more.

It Wanted to Purge

In Risen 2 you used voodoo to such an extent, really cool done. I recommend Risen and Risen 2. You cannot appreciate a drunken sot enough in bed at a fort waken up with bottles scattered alot at the start of Risen 2

It Wanted to Purge

To me Risen was a beginning of spanish colenialism done correctly, even highlighted slavery in Risen 2. People get on with their lives.

Better than PB's later works.

What I'm really in search of is that Might and Magic and Morrowind experience of being able to go anywhere, raid dungeons for powerful artifacts using fun utility spells to solve dungeon obstacles. Preferably a first person rpg (I know Risen is third person but I"m running out of options). No level scaled loot, no barriers that require boring errand running for NPCs. Just pure adventuring and raiding. Starting to Might and Magic and Morrowind (and Daggerfall) are all there is.
I think you might have a lot of fun with Breath of the Wild, at least for a dozen hours or so, though its vr/first person mode seems pretty icky.

Last edited:

It Wanted to Purge

I never played ELEX or Risen 3. At the time of the release of Risen 3 I played CV4 maniacally. Is it good? Crunchy

vazha

Arcane
Elex is a meme, might as well give it a shot, Risen 3 is atrocious.

It Wanted to Purge

see thats why i never bothered with Risen 3, coz i trusted this forum

I never played ELEX or Risen 3. At the time of the release of Risen 3 I played CV4 maniacally. Is it good? Crunchy
I finished and got enjoyment out of Risen 1&2. Gave up on Risen 3 before the first town and gave up on Elex shortly after its first town.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom