Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Swigen

Arbiter
Wish they would remake Trails in the Sky and shrink Agate’s fat ass down. Just watching his ginormous buttocks jiggle it’s way up the battlefield only to come up one square short of the enemy is absolutely unethical!

The Polygon article on this is particularly funny. They pretend to wonder why anyone would even care about design changes in a character while also finding it strange a video game company would even have people whose job is to think about this kind of thing. The latter is particularly funny given Polygon has seemingly wanted to make it their job for the whole industry for over a decade now.

Meh. Them adding new shit to the game just gives off a bad vibe. Or even adding explanations to things that were ambiguous in the original.

They've said this just Midgar section is going to be as long as a normal Final Fantasy game. I'm guessing it's getting a lot of new stuff.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
and perhaps one of them has killed President Shinra with Sephiroth's sword.

But that was Jenova who did that. The whole thing about leaving the sword behind I just took as video game fiat in the same way Cloud isn't shown always handling his sword and it disappears when not needed.

They did need to do more with the "clones" even the term clone I'd chalk up to bad localization.

There's a lot of stuff that's sort of lost in translation with the original game and all the spin offs that came after have also added new explanations to things that perhaps should have remained a mystery. I personally only think of the original story (both English & Japanese versions) as self-contained canon that don't need any further elaboration or clarification.

the super-special super soldier Sephiroth is actually a shallow puppet of an ancient interstellar parasite

That wasn't there.

The Mountain Cave and Cloud's recollections make it clear it's sadly the opposite. You see, Sephy is actually such a bad ass he dominated that Lovecraftian parasite to his will and made her her puppet. But he's not done making Jenova his bitch, he'll game the planet and use it's healing reaction to being hit by the asteroid to merge with it and make the planet his bitch too.

He is above Jenova and her world eating gimmick, above the planet and it's lfieforms, he's above everything! Don't you understand how bad ass Sephy is???

It's the whole thing about the twist in the first half the game, you're out thinking your chasing Sephy, but it's actually the torso of Jenova leading you on to arrive at the Mountain Cave with the Black Materia where you get to see Sephy where he's been since he rememgered after Cloud threw him into the Life Stream.

I sympathize with you, your impression is the same one I originally had and went with, but as I got to know more about how Japanese make stories in games, the more I realize the Sephy's greatest badass ever thing was in there from the start.

This is one of those cases. I think the general consensus among fans is that Sephiroth is the one in charge, based on a few lines by Hojo during the Reunion:

Hojo: "He's a Sephiroth clone I created after the real Sephiroth died five years ago. Jenova cells and Mako, with my knowledge and skills, have been combined with science and nature to bring him to life. ...I'm not wild about the failure part, but the Jenova Reunion Theory has now been proven. You see, even if Jenova's body is dismembered, it will eventually become one again. That's what is meant by Jenova's Reunion to start. Five years have passed, and now the Clones have began to return. I thought the Clones would begin to gather at Midgar where Jenova is stored. But my predictions were not entirely correct. Jenova itself began to move away from the Shinra Building. But being a genius that I am, I soon figured it out. You see it was all Sephiroth's doing. Sephiroth is not just content to diffuse his will into the Lifestream; he wants to manipulate the Clones itself."

Hojo: "Did you see it!! It's Sephiroth! So he IS here! This is perfect! Both Jenova's Reunion and Sephiroth's will! They won't be diffused into the Lifestream, but gathered here! Mwa, haa, ha,......"

So according to Hojo, Sephiroth is in charge. Some of the game Devs have also confirmed this. However I still personally prefer to think, like many others, that Jenova and Hojo are the ultimate villains of FF7. To me Jenova is basically Lavos 2.0, although she has been sealed off by members of Cetra for thousands of years before Shinra dug up her remains and professor Gast started to study them. Much like Lavos, Jenova intends to corrupt the Lifestream and suck the life energy out of the planet until it's nothing more than an empty husk, then travel to another planet to do the same thing all over again. Perhaps Hojo was wrong? Perhaps Reunion is a regenerative process that will help Jenova regain her full power. Perhaps she is using meteor to restart her apocalyptic plan all over again. Or perhaps it was the Jenova Cells that made Sephiroth mad in the first place? Perhaps Sephiroth's mind is slowly taken over by Jenova's Cells and Sephiroth's will is in the end only a manifestation of Jenova's will. I believe all these interpretations are possible based on the original story, despite the canon interpretation being different.

Melcar

Arcane
To me, Jenova was just a mindless alien force. Sephiroth found a way to control her and use her for his crazy plans once he went psycho.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Beastro

Arcane
To me, Jenova was just a mindless alien force. Sephiroth found a way to control her and use her for his crazy plans once he went psycho.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

There's also the fact that Jenova is thrown at you as the penultimate boss before Sephy. You can read into that that after serving to lure you to Sephy she was only good for cannon fodder.

I really, really wish FFVII had been about inverting the typical anime bad ass, where the reputation of Sephy is so big and inflated beyond reality it wound up living on long after he'd died.

Part of me too wishes Cloud's up front story was true, that he had been in Solider and everything in Nibelheim went the way he originally told it so the last we see of the real Sephy is him walking off into flames presumably to keep wandering in his madness until he died. Except for that to work Cloud has to have a flat character arc being just a generic hero, but after establishing Sephy so much Cloud can't have his character arc be fulfilled by confronting an impersonal enemy like Jenova, he needs to face down Sephy again, which then ruins Jenova.

I think it all shows Square's weakness' in throwing random reoccurring things together into their stories. It worked with the simple ones up to FFIII(VI), but once they stepped into something more complex, like the psychological aspects of FFVII mixed with personal and cosmic horror, things began to shake themselves apart. Each of those things worked in FFVII, but they broke other things in the story which results in FFVII being a jumbled mess after you get beyond the first impression.

Things continued the same way with FFVIII, got toned back a bit with FFIX, but it seems they just gave up and continued on with the disharmonious jumble after that save for FFXII which benefited from the coherence of its Ivalice heritage.

But that was Jenova who did that. The whole thing about leaving the sword behind I just took as video game fiat in the same way Cloud isn't shown always handling his sword and it disappears when not needed.

Also there's Jenova killing Aeris as well with what we're supposed to assume is Sephy's sword even though she left it behind in Migard. You can look on it as a plot hole or just accept it as a typical game incongruity.

There's a lot of stuff that's sort of lost in translation with the original game and all the spin offs that came after have also added new explanations to things that perhaps should have remained a mystery. I personally only think of the original story (both English & Japanese versions) as self-contained canon that don't need any further elaboration or clarification.

The issue is that the story tried to make it seem in places that they are literal clones of Sephy or Jenova while in others they're shown to just be poeple simply injected with Jenova cells that are fucked with as a result. The latter explaination turns out to be the real one, as we see with Cloud, but the distinction isn't made clear enough at the end, at least given the localization.

Much like Lavos, Jenova intends to corrupt the Lifestream and suck the life energy out of the planet until it's nothing more than an empty husk, then travel to another planet to do the same thing all over again. Perhaps Hojo was wrong? Perhaps Reunion is a regenerative process that will help Jenova regain her full power. Perhaps she is using meteor to restart her apocalyptic plan all over again.

The big issue is that Black Materia isn't connected to Jenova in any way. It's simply something the planet created.. The Weapos exist for a reason, to protect the planet, while materia is a by product of the Life Stream coalescing on the surface of the planet, probably being an extension of it the way life on the planet is. The only purpose the planet might have to create it would be suicide or something. It's like someone specifically inventing the firearm just in case they want to kill themselves only for someone to break into their house and try to use it kill them during the robbery.

Black Materia is nothing but a plot device. It's materia because materia is an established thing in FFVII, it summons a meteor because Meteor is a reoccurring magic spell in FF and Sephy needs something to present a dire threat to the planet in a way Jenova can't (because Jenova as a threat on her own renders Sephy irrelevant as the main villain) that is also something Cloud can give him to blend into his character arc as a part of his mid-story nadir.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Tigranes is missing the point. None of this Tifa talk has absolutely anything to do with the game or with the character, its legacy, its aesthetic; none of that matters.

This is 100% about politics. The left has deemed Tifa's original character design evil and thus we must fight them, because they're wrong and ideologically possessed. Art can't survive under political correctness.

Oh, btw, Square also already confirmed they're "toning down Honey Bee Inn scenario" due to "modern ethical standards". I imagine people will find a way to apologia this as well, as usual.

"It was outdated humor!", "I'm glad they changed it", etc. You know what these people will say. They're as predictable as as a fart.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I can't even claim to finishing any FF game. Itake it theywon't redo them all in this style? It'd be a never ending franchise repeated. Lordy, hollow deck FF.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Square probably won't even finish this specific remake, as I can definitely see Parts 2 and 3 of FF7 remake cancelled because of not meeting projections or whatever.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
That happens to a lot of games thoughout the ages. Such a waste of effort to not even put out a product.

Square probably won't even finish this specific remake, as I can definitely see Parts 2 and 3 of FF7 remake cancelled because of not meeting projections or whatever.

They released three Final Fantasy 13 games between '09 and '13 and you're thinking they give up on this Final Fantasy 7 remake thing after just the first one? My guess is this game is going to be huge, and one of their best selling FF games.

Viata

Arcane
They released 3 FF13 because the first one had so many shit removed from it they could do two more FF games with that alone and not being able to do anything else because they were bleeding money.

Hassar

Scholar
https://kotaku.com/what-tetsuya-nomura-actually-said-about-tifas-breasts-i-1835726320

Good Kotaku article translating what was actually said. I think the only people discussing this are reactionaries btw. I never liked Tifa as a character and am gay so am biased from a sexual perspective, but I aesthetically appreciate her design more now. Before, I just thought she looked stupid and like a clownish, blocky attempt to make a sexy woman with all the polygons of Minecraft.

Beastro

Arcane
Before, I just thought she looked stupid and like a clownish, blocky attempt to make a sexy woman with all the polygons of Minecraft.

You thought that much about it?

As a kid I just took it in stride, same as when I thought Cid's character design was a little odd and pushed together compared to everyone else, but he was just a guy in a weird Japanese game to me.

iu

Last edited:

Cross

Arcane
So Tifa's design had to change because the original design was too unrealistic?

You can really see that commitment to realism reflected in the protagonist casually wielding a sword longer than his own height and heavier than his own weight.

Last edited:

Hassar

Scholar
Before, I just thought she looked stupid and like a clownish, blocky attempt to make a sexy woman with all the polygons of Minecraft.

You thought that much about it?

As a kid I just took it in stride, same as when I thought Cid's character design was a little odd and pushed together compared to everyone else, but he was just a guy in a weird Japan game.

iu

Eh, not too much but FFVII was released at an interesting time. I was a teen and my hetero friends were going through puberty. They were the ones that pointed it out to me.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
so retard real time combat and as insult to injury they reduce waifu milkers.

square enix should just go under already. prferably before they release this POS.

Beastro

Arcane
Fellas, her tits look plenty big to me...

"But each of them were the size of her head before and now both combined wouldn't even be that big!" is the reaction you'll get.

This is one of those things where I think it would have been better to keep quiet about and just release rather than explain things given the anticipation from all over. The "everything is political" types have wound up getting many of their opponents to see things the same way, if only preemptively. Aweigh is right even if for different reasons, this isn't a big issue, it's that issues are made so big now the expected fight over it is large.

I mean, I've always found it odd how the later renditions of Cloud made him more Oriental looking when he always came off looking Caucasian. Even in the art around the game he comes off that way, so you can't just say people are reading into distorted pixel faces too much.

Cloud_Strife.png

But that doesn't come up. Whatever people's opinions are about it are minor and there's no larger fight to be fought over such issues.

You're all complaining about her shrunken tiddies, while they gave a Kung Fu girl pencils for thighs. :negative:

Thick Thighs Save Lives.

That actually brings to mind something else: Tifa is established to have been trained as a fighter from an early age, so it's not odd that she fights so well, even if it is a stretch.... but how is Aeris going to fight? Her attack style in the original is clearly one done by an inexperienced, "average" girl who isn't a fighter that just comically jumps at enemies and whacks them with her staff. This extends to her Limit Breaks being support so she suddenly wasn't doing crazy ass moves like everyone else did in theirs.

Is she suddenly now going to be doing things competently, spinning her staff and dodging expertly in an exciting way to not make her a drag to watch in these cinematic battles? Same with Barret who barely moved using his gun and did so in a manner that expressed his stubborn, inflexible personality that is the same reason why he's fighting Shinra out of his bar.

I think this is digging to the bigger problem that this kind of remake fucks shit up because the game wasn't originally designed for it and the way it once expressed little things, like the personalities of each character by how they fought in battle, is undone by transplanting them to a combat system not built for them.

The joke is that they are going to make Barrett's Red XIII's tits really huge.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
You're all complaining about her shrunken tiddies, while they gave a Kung Fu girl pencils for thighs. :negative:

Thick Thighs Save Lives.
Fellas, her tits look plenty big to me...

3551591-ffviir_june_screenshots_11_1561027404.jpg

3551602-ffviir_june_screenshots_16_1561027403.jpg

Actually given these pictures I think this is more an issue of people expecting problems rather than there being one.

That skirt and those straps are as risque as the giant breasts and they were translated exactly in a way that would have caused censorship problems had she looked that detailed back in 1997.

It could very well be with a chest that big in the original she'd simply look too silly flying around punching and kicking if they remained in place and defied momentum (which the FMVs got away with being bad because of how poorly everyone moved) and Square didn't want to waste time and money with "boob physics" for one character.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
this isn't a big issue, it's that issues are made so big now the expected fight over it is large.

P. much. I could care less about Tifa's tits, but allowing SJWs to dictate the content in my games is unacceptable. Her tiddies simply became another battleground in le culture wars. The reason they win is because they get people to actually believe it's about the tiddies, when in reality it's about control and ideological warfare; "oh, sure, her tits WERE too big! it's unrealistic!", when we all know realism has nothing to do with it.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nomura said Tifa's tits look small because she's wearing a sport bra and tight top. I'm sure in Don Corleo's mansion they will look much bigger when she's wearing a revealing dress. So there will be at least some parts of the game where her knockers will get to shine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom