Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's the exact one I'm talking about. The game has a broken perk in which food lasts for 20 real life minutes unless you rest, so it was helpful but the fucking werewolf regenerated more health than that. Just comparing it to the damage numbers that popped up from my attacks, I'd assume he regenerated 150 hp per second, which is about half ofthe 321 damage I do with my heavy attack. It's dumb as fuck because I'm the correct level for the quest.

Yeah just leave it for later. In time, you'll get strong enough to swap it down like a fly... unfortunately.
I don't remember any other enemies with Wolverine-tier regeneration, so I think you should be able to take on any other quest when you're at the correct level (or just underneath).

EDIT: Or as Danikas said, make a Moondust bomb if you've got the formula.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
do you guyz even read monsters bestiary to prepare for fights?
I did. Igni, werewolf oil, and one bomb is very effective against werewolves. Turns out it's actually a lie because the werewolf boss in "Wild at Hunt" is highly resistant to igni and doesn't burn, oils against werewolves only do a very small amount of damage to him, and he regenerates more health back than the damage you can cause.

All this was done on Death March.

The thing is that the Bestiary is wrong and instead you should use Axii and forget Igni, because it will stun the werewolf long enough to give you free hits and get him in a 3 - 5 stun lock combo. Even with all this, the werewolf still regenerates health as he's stunned.

Yeah just leave it for later. In time, you'll get strong enough to swap it down like a fly... unfortunately.
I don't remember any other enemies with Wolverine-tier regeneration, so I think you should be able to take on any other quest when you're at the correct level (or just underneath).
II already beat the Werewolf on Death March. I refuse to wait till I'm twice the level of a quest to actually do said quest. Too bad I can't help the blacksmith that wants to make weapons again because some armor-less city dwarves with axes are too high of a level for me to damage them.

Yosharian

Arcane
That's the exact one I'm talking about. The game has a broken perk in which food lasts for 20 real life minutes unless you rest, so it was helpful but the fucking werewolf regenerated more health than that. Just comparing it to the damage numbers that popped up from my attacks, I'd assume he regenerated 150 hp per second, which is about half ofthe 321 damage I do with my heavy attack. It's dumb as fuck because I'm the correct level for the quest.

Normal RPG player reaction to this situation: wow this guy is tough, he regenerates faster than I hit him! I better come back when I'm stronger, and also try to make a special oil to hurt him. A better weapon might help, too. And perhaps I can figure out what sign he's weak to...

Modern RPG player: i'M tHe cOrReCt lEVeL fOr ThE qUeSt, fUcK tHiS gAMe

sullynathan

Arcane
That's your problem right there. Use oils and spam fast attacks. Works against the vast majority of enemies in the game.
It doesn't work well enough for this specific encounter at this specific level. I know light attacks work well for the average enemies and even the first wild hunt you fight, but when the Werewolf can heal 150 health per second and my fast attack does ~140 - 170 damage per hit, it was useless against it.

Your heavy attack is very useful against Golems and Gargoyles too because they're slow as shit and can barely hit you.

Normal RPG player reaction to this situation: wow this guy is tough, he regenerates faster than I hit him! I better come back when I'm stronger, and also try to make a special oil to hurt him. A better weapon might help, too. And perhaps I can figure out what sign he's weak to...

Modern RPG player: i'M tHe cOrReCt lEVeL fOr ThE qUeSt!111

Quest says you have to be level 7 to do it and the boss was level 7 or 8 iirc. I'm level 8, almost level 9 with higher level gear than the quest says to do. I am in fact doing the quest "when I'm stronger" given that I could've done it at level 5 when I picked up said quest, must I be 5 levels higher than every quest I do? It's not my fault you and the game are retarded.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I played this game and got to about level 16 or something and then I had to face some huge creature that when I did my routine perfectly, would lose 0.1% health. And if I made one mistake he would one shot me. I uninstalled. I guess I could have kept leveling up but I didn't want to have to run all the way back. Also the combat sucked. I want to be a mage in this game.

Yosharian

Arcane
Quest says you have to be level 7 to do it and the boss was level 7 or 8 iirc. I'm level 8, almost level 9 with higher level gear than the quest says to do. I am in fact doing the quest "when I'm stronger" given that I could've done it at level 5 when I picked up said quest. It's not my fault you and the game are retarded.
My point is, this just proves why marking quests and enemies and gear with 'levels' is just retarded. Instead of playing the game like it's an RPG, you're treating it as if it's an MMO quest.

sullynathan

Arcane
My point is, this just proves why marking quests and enemies and gear with 'levels' is just retarded. Instead of playing the game like it's an RPG, you're treating it as if it's an MMO quest.
I've never played an MMO. I'm playing it like an rpg and the game is penalizing me for it.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Quest says you have to be level 7 to do it and the boss was level 7 or 8 iirc. I'm level 8, almost level 9 with higher level gear than the quest says to do. I am in fact doing the quest "when I'm stronger" given that I could've done it at level 5 when I picked up said quest, must I be 5 levels higher than every quest I do? It's not my fault you and the game are retarded.
Get good and enjoy it when the game still manages to provide a challenge. It won't last.

As for enemies outleveling you, you could always pick the Poisoned Blades perk, since poison is arguably the best critical effect in the game and isn't affected by the enemy's damage resistance. You can totally murder the city dwarves and most of the fuckers you meet regardless of their level. There are other ways, too, but it's probably more interesting to discover them yourself.

sullynathan

Arcane
Get good and enjoy it when the game still manages to provide a challenge. It won't last.

As for enemies outleveling you, you could always pick the Poisoned Blades perk, since poison is arguably the best critical effect in the game and isn't affected by the enemy's damage resistance. You can totally murder the city dwarves and most of the fuckers you meet regardless of their level. There are other ways, too, but it's probably more interesting to discover them yourself.
I mean, I'm already good. The city dwarves are around level 24 and they only have a question mark above their health, I'm level 8 now. I doubt poison will make the difference when I don't even move their health bar by hitting them. Same thing for enemies level 14 which have a skull symbol above their heads.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I mean, I'm already good. The city dwarves are around level 24 and they only have a question mark above their health, I'm level 8 now. I doubt poison will make the difference when I don't even move their health bar by hitting them. Same thing for enemies level 14 which have a skull symbol above their heads.
Skull symbol doesn't matter if you use poison. Enemies with question marks have additional immunities, but those too can be taken down with the right equipment, although at level 8 your tool set is bound to be rather limited. Of course, taking on a group of enemies is a lot harder than a lone monster somewhere.

TW3's level system is an abomination, but your whining is ridiculous. The game provides you with plenty of tools, so how about using them? The werewolf regenerates fast, but so what? There are plenty of ways to overcome that at level 7 and earlier. There are bombs, signs, sword runes, mutagens, skills, all kinds of different ways to halt the regeneration or increase your damage output for that specific fight. Slow the thing down, set it on fire, poison it, make it bleed, equip red mutagens and damage-increasing skills and bombard it with attacks until it's dead. The fight is totally manageable even if you're below recommended level, as long as you prepare for it properly (as demonstrated above).

sullynathan

Arcane
TW3's level system is an abomination, but your whining is ridiculous. The game provides you with plenty of tools, so how about using them? The werewolf regenerates fast, but so what? There are plenty of ways to overcome that at level 7 and earlier. There are bombs, signs, sword runes, mutagens, skills, all kinds of different ways to halt the regeneration or increase your damage output for that specific fight. Slow the thing down, set it on fire, poison it, make it bleed, equip red mutagens and damage-increasing skills and bombard it with attacks until it's dead. The fight is totally manageable even if you're below recommended level, as long as you prepare for it properly (as demonstrated above).
So why are you whining about my whining? I already fucking said I beat the Werewolf, it doesn't mean it wasn't a shit fight that could be better and you're not reading my post.

Fire doesn't do shit to the werewolf at this level on Death march because it does too little damage and he gains the health back in two seconds and doesn't catch on fire. Yrden is useless because the Werewolf will always run away from you after a combo leaving the Yrden circle. The only sign that is useful is Axii, something I already said.

Good luck getting any great sign runes at a level 8 that will change the battle at this point, this is coming from me who has combed through all of white orchard and a large amount of Velen and Novigrad. 2% stun chance, wow.

sullynathan

Arcane
Found the Fashion Witcher. Best looking armor so far.
The-Witcher-3-6-20-2019-1-10-26-AM.png
The-Witcher-3-6-20-2019-1-12-09-AM.png

The-Witcher-3-6-20-2019-1-13-42-AM.png
The-Witcher-3-6-20-2019-1-14-05-AM.png

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Fire doesn't do shit to the werewolf at this level on Death march because it does too little damage and he gains the health back in two seconds and doesn't catch on fire.
:MAs the video by CruduxCruo shows. Notice the poison effect, too, which is easier to apply, lasts fairly long and eats through the health bar like it's nothing. And he's level three!

What you're complaining about are the things that make that fight one of the better ones in the game. My favorite witcher contract fight was probably Jenny o' the Woods, which had a similar "how the fuck do I kill this thing?" effect at first. The whole point of being a witcher is figuring out answers to questions like that — not just staring at some fucking level numbers. It's a shame it's so easy to overlevel yourself and turn almost any fight into a joke.

sullynathan

Arcane
Ran into an old bro in hiding. Foiled his plans for freedom even though his plans were questionable.

Now two characters have been sent back to Kaer Morhen. I can only assume it's a mass effect 2 suicide mission waiting to happen.

I'm delving deeper into the potions, oils & bombs and didn't notice until now that they are all automated and self refilling. I never rest until I was forced to in the Jenny wraith quest and noticed that some of my used oils and swallow came back.

Can geralt expand how many bombs and potions he carries like the oils?

Still don't know what adrenaline does. I thought it was the insta kill move from witcher 2.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Adrenaline is good with a certain perk and bear armor when it can be used to cast signs.

typical user

Arbiter
Ran into an old bro in hiding. Foiled his plans for freedom even though his plans were questionable.

Now two characters have been sent back to Kaer Morhen. I can only assume it's a mass effect 2 suicide mission waiting to happen.

I'm delving deeper into the potions, oils & bombs and didn't notice until now that they are all automated and self refilling. I never rest until I was forced to in the Jenny wraith quest and noticed that some of my used oils and swallow came back.

Can geralt expand how many bombs and potions he carries like the oils?

Still don't know what adrenaline does. I thought it was the insta kill move from witcher 2.

You can carry more bombs and potions if you find improved schematics. Yeah they do get refilled everytime you meditate if you have one bottle of strong spirit, same applies to oils and bombs.

The Adrenaline gives you 15% more damage for one bar or you can change it via skill tree to offer you 15% crit a bar or allow you to cast signs by spending an adrenaline bar or casting with additional 100% intensity by spending ALL three points of adrenaline.

sullynathan

Arcane
I've played way too much gwent that it's become easy. I'm laying off it for a while now because i beat everyone I meet and take their card.

Right now I met another buddy through a side query: Lambert. He's angry so I'm going to skellige after doing more side quests in novigrad.

I want to see how nonlinear the game can be so I haven't done the crone witch quest or bloody baron.

The dialogue from kids is pretty funny. They're talking about whores but don't know what whores do.

In any case, finding a ship costs 1000 gold. I have 1800 so I made my Griffin witcher set prior to going.

Paying for the ship gave me enough xp to level up and the level 15 bandits and their 18 siren is now a joke to fight.

Does every non witcher gear have a higher level version? I just realized I have 2 Deithwen that's level 4 & 7.

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The hardest Gwent party for me was during an optional quest in Novigrad - High Stakes.
There's a card tournament in Passiflora brothel, which you won't be able to participate untill you get a good enough deck.
And even then the second opponent, that spy-girl Whatshername, is an absolute gwent monster.
I only managed to beat her on 3rd or 4th attempt. After that all other opponents are pushovers.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Correction: Open World doesn't suck. At least not more then in any other game, except maybe some select smaller scale ones, like Gothics 1 & 2.

Depends on your definition of suck I guess. It's very pretty, and designed well, but there's fuck all to do in it other than check off map markers fight shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom