Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

sullynathan

Arcane
I'm getting mildly hyped about this.

The main reason is that this could just possibly be the hitherto most believable representation of a city in a cRPG. And I really dig cities. But we will see when we will see I guess.
A city with 1000 npcs that nearly look the same and can't be interacted in anyway, is no city at all. It's cool as a theme park where you walk around though.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I never understood what the whole fight is about. Why can't people like Witcher 3 without insisting that it's an RPG, which it really isn't. The game is really fun and I have hundreds of hours in it, but I wouldn't call it an RPG - both combat, equpment and character build are superficial to the point that they serve as distraction from the two main activities, exploration (often guided through "witcher senses") and dialogue, where the C&C usually is.

Whether something is an RPG depends on how you define it (yes the dreaded "what is an RPG" discussion, yeaaah). To me the most important component of RPG being an RPG is choices and consequences with interactive dialogue + player agency followed by character progression and customization. Witcher has lot of the former and slightly less of the latter, but enough to be generally considered RPG, just like KOTOR, Vampire Bloodlines, Deus Ex and many other 3D classic RPGs that are considered RPGs without anyone disputing it for some reason.
Again, it is fine if you think it's an action game or whatever, but don't be surprised when others disagree.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Whether something is an RPG depends on how you define it (yes the dreaded "what is an RPG" discussion, yeaaah). To me the most important component of RPG being an RPG is choices and consequences with interactive dialogue + player agency followed by character progression and customization. Witcher has lot of the former and slightly less of the latter, but enough to be generally considered RPG, just like KOTOR, Vampire Bloodlines, Deus Ex and many other 3D classic RPGs that are considered RPGs without anyone disputing it for some reason.
Again, it is fine if you think it's an action game or whatever, but don't be surprised when others disagree.

With every shitty hack n' slash game, open world collect-a-thon and FPS adding in "RPG" stat systems now-a-days, I honestly think dialog choices are probably a better indicator for the genre.

Dexter

Arcane
A city with 1000 npcs that nearly look the same and can't be interacted in anyway, is no city at all. It's cool as a theme park where you walk around though.
Do you walk around talking to every random person outside? Some NPCs are simply just extras or pedestrians with nothing meaningful to say.

I don't think you need to resort to conspiracy theories when incompetence is a simpler explanation.
Online journalists wanting to generate outrage/hate-clicks is considered a "conspiracy theory" now?

They're all fighting for attention and scraps in the last vestiges of what remains of "journalism" while Google/Facebook are eating their cake:
newspaperadsdecline2.jpg

Thank god we have Infinitron dutifully posting every new EuroGamer/Kotaku/Polygon article.

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
"Follow the money"

I don't think you need to resort to conspiracy theories when incompetence is a simpler explanation.

This conspiracy theory is a nice form of a conspiracy theory and true to its true meaning. I really enjoyed it.
But you are right about the the incompetence part and this can be put on CDP directly, because none of this would have happened if they would have drawn beforehand a clear line in the sand.
If CDPR would have said: "We orient us, in the depiction of the Gangs, based upon the Bloods, Crips, Mara Salvatrucha and MS-13 and the FBI statistics for racial distribution of gang members and committed violence." Then the "racist" thing would not have been used against them, because it would highlight, that 28% percent of US citizens, that are non whites, make up of 97% of all gang members and commit 75% of all crimes.
The Tranny thing is also their mistake, but this has been already pushed in an other thread. CDPR should have sticked with Jesus and everybody would have acknowledged it and said nothing about it.
Mark my words: Never give an inch to the LGBTQZPN degenerates!

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Do you walk around talking to every random person outside? Some NPCs are simply just extras or pedestrians with nothing meaningful to say.
All the NPCs are pedestrians and their faces gets reused a lot in witcher 3.

Most of the faces of the people I encounter on the sidewalk in real life seems to be reused as well.

Only if you're eternal and you have the memory of a Elephant God.

Pedestrians is a shitty solution by lazy af developers. It's highly preferable to have 10 times less npcs with all handcrafted than a world full of absurd auto-generated clones.

Anyway it's possible to add non relevant npcs that continue to be unique also. If you want 15 people in a street instead 3 is possible to do without sacrifice uniqueness. There are tens of games in the past 20 years which include many more unique npcs than TW3... Why? Because CD projekt red is determined to follow and copy Rockstar lazy design model for pseudo open worlds.

I hope they would implement this bad design in better way that TW3 so we don't see this in CP2077:

lERz7tF.png

Wesp5

Arcane
Pedestrians is a shitty solution by lazy af developers. It's highly preferable to have 10 times less npcs with all handcrafted than a world full of absurd auto-generated clones.

I just recently played my first Assassin's Creed game when Ubisoft gave Unity away for free, and I am still amazed about the huge number of pedestrians in the city. Granted, you can't talk to most of them either, but they really didn't look too much copy and paste at first sight and they went about their business to make the city seem alive!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom