Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

Ninjerk

Arcane
Finally got around to finishing this one and Shadowrun Returns. Conclusion: Great, but I wish it was longer with many more missions.

The dialogue was indeed superb in this one - and it was the first game in a long time where I did not turn off the music. Some tracks I absolutely loved:

Are there any mod campaigns out there that you would recommend?

I enjoyed Nightmare Harvest.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think the character system would support a longer game. While I don't think I talked about that when I was recounting my run through these 3 games, it's popping into my mind now. The whole combat system in fact. The games are short enough so it doesn't overstay its welcome, but I do think it's bare bones and not all that interesting. The setting, writing and character archetypes are what keep these games together.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Finally got around to finishing this one and Shadowrun Returns. Conclusion: Great, but I wish it was longer with many more missions.

The dialogue was indeed superb in this one - and it was the first game in a long time where I did not turn off the music. Some tracks I absolutely loved:

Hong Kong is worth a playthrough if you haven't yet. Were the combat better, the bad writing would be more tolerable in that one.

If you ever feel like replaying Dragonfall, try ungimping the AI (its easy to do youself or there are already fixed files around) and/or taking 3 characters max instead of 4 for spicier, more satisfying combat.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter

The atmosphere in it is nice but there's little actual C&C and it's very on the rails. You can literally click any dialogue option and it will have the exact same response to all selections, sometimes there's an additional sentence of flavor text before it goes to the default response, and you automatically get the same mission in the same order no matter what you select.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Well, you can choose the order in which you do the missions at least. And there is some C&C, eg. APEX and it helping you in the final location.

What I was wondering about: Two of the clients said they would not employ me again. Did I miss out on a couple missions or was that just flavor text?

zaper

Yes.
Developer
Is there any mod for Shadowrun which entirelly removes all the magical stuff? I love tbt and cyberpunk settings, but I hate the idea of having elves in it.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Tried the SR Unlimited module. Seems to be big, but meh. Don't know, maybe it gets better later.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The atmosphere in it is nice but there's little actual C&C and it's very on the rails. You can literally click any dialogue option and it will have the exact same response to all selections, sometimes there's an additional sentence of flavor text before it goes to the default response, and you automatically get the same mission in the same order no matter what you select.

This is very true, but it's also true of most games. Also I think the writing (in the first two anyway, haven't played Hong Kong) is mostly really good, and good at disguising how little choice you really have. These games definitely get by on good writing, cool atmosphere, unique setting and solid combat though. They're very budget in a lot of ways and limited as a result.

Lightknight

Liturgist
I must be missing something big and obvious. It is easy to see all the little improvements over DMS that make Dragonfall tolerable, but ...it's still just so bland and boring. Combat is uninspired, slow, and lacking options. Story is linear drag, that, while interesting, doesnt mesh with the gameplay all that well, it's like an adventure\RPG mutant. Character system is...having never played P&P games - THIS is what was touted as the great rival to AD&D, along with GURPS ? Seriously ? And supposedly the company is run by THE guy who made the system and wrote all the lore, and after decades of practicing his craft - this is the best he could do ? The game completely lacking the "WOW" factor in any one area ?

I'll go play Baldur Trilogy pack now. Need to wash this crap down with something palatable.

razvedchiki

Erudite
biggest problem i had with hong kong was the easy combat,especially if you compare it with dragonfall.
otherwise you have to keep in mind that this is a crpg for people that dont play crpgs.
any good campaign modules/rebalance mods?
not anime lvl crap thank you.

fastjack

Augur
tbf the system is not very similar to the PnP, the sega game was a real-time implementation of the PnP with minimal changes to account for real-time (obviously lacking a lot of skills that the game didn't implement though).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
biggest problem i had with hong kong was the easy combat,especially if you compare it with dragonfall.

Yeah, the end fight in Dragonfall against people was harder than the one in Hong Kong against a fucking demon.

My favorite was where you had to steal the MK 6(?) secret weapon in Dragonfall. Wasn't too hard, but a lot of fun.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm playing this a second time. Even though it's my favorite it's actually the one in the trilogy I didn't finish, as I got near the end and got distracted by real life shit or something. Anyway, I'm playing on the hardest difficulty this time and like... I can't hit shit. The companions all level automatically, so I know I didn't make any "bad decisions," and yet Glory has a 40-50% hit chance with her melee attacks no matter what I do. Eiger's sniper requires way too much distance to be effective since most maps are small, so she's using a shotgun. It has 60%ish chance from a few steps away, and even with that frequently misses 3 out of 4 shots. Let's not even mention by PC who's a decker and pistol shooter. My question is this: does the hardest mode nerf hit chance to an insane degree, or what?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Yes hit chances get a big nerf. I found Eiger sniper rifle really good, just move her back and have Glory melee tagging enemies out of cover, they seem to miss less than shotguns, that at least is what I remember. Never really,really, compared the two.

Last edited:

Yoomazir

Educated
None of you mofos ever played Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown isn't it? It was pretty decent game and the story was serviceable, shame they shutted down the servers a couple years ago.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I'm playing this a second time. Even though it's my favorite it's actually the one in the trilogy I didn't finish, as I got near the end and got distracted by real life shit or something. Anyway, I'm playing on the hardest difficulty this time and like... I can't hit shit. The companions all level automatically, so I know I didn't make any "bad decisions," and yet Glory has a 40-50% hit chance with her melee attacks no matter what I do. Eiger's sniper requires way too much distance to be effective since most maps are small, so she's using a shotgun. It has 60%ish chance from a few steps away, and even with that frequently misses 3 out of 4 shots. Let's not even mention by PC who's a decker and pistol shooter. My question is this: does the hardest mode nerf hit chance to an insane degree, or what?
Hope you also unnerfed the AI.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
My biggest complaint of Dragonfall has to be the companions. They could not keep up with my characters that were not that optimised.

Glory was the biggest culprit. Good god she was crap. I took Lucky Strike, or whatever her name was, instead every chance I had.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, the AI is programmed to attack only once and use the other AP to move. It's pretty silly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom