Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Jinn

Arcane
Quick reminder that the recommended level for the expansion is 14-15, so all you guys could start playing now and get your character ready to start the expansion. I have a character waiting at Core City for this baby to drop.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Quick reminder that the recommended level for the expansion is 14-15, so all you guys could start playing now and get your character ready to start the expansion. I have a character waiting at Core City for this baby to drop.
Nice, good to know. Wasn’t sure if they were planning to make systems changes/additions or anything that would make starting fresh worth it.

Jezal_k23

Are there plans of any new quality of life features such as you walking faster or the ability to zoom in and out so that the game is playable in high resolutions?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Codex Year of the Donut
Which one is your favorite not-Fallout, Fallout game?
Atom RPG, Underrail, or Wasteland 2?

pelase and tahnku
I like underrail more than fallout games.
TBH not sure if I could pick which one I like more.
I found Underrail's world more interesting from the perspective of wanting to know more about it because so much is withheld and slowly fed to you over the course of the game. Fallout is better at telling a story with memorable characters, but the world doesn't feel as alien as Underraiil.
The combat in Underrail is obviously the highlight, crafting was pretty decent.

PsychoFox

Educated

pelase and tahnku
I found Underrail's world more interesting from the perspective of wanting to know more about it because so much is withheld and slowly fed to you over the course of the game. Fallout is better at telling a story with memorable characters, but the world doesn't feel as alien as Underraiil.

You know i haven't actually played UnderRail yet. Was just wondering. I have played Wasteland 2 and ATOM RPG and so far ATOM is my pick of best Fallout successor. OFC it might change with Underrail but i doubt it. You played Atom? How does the combat differ from UnderRail?

Codex Year of the Donut

pelase and tahnku

You know i haven't actually played UnderRail yet. Was just wondering. I have played Wasteland 2 and ATOM RPG and so far ATOM is my pick of best Fallout successor. OFC it might change with Underrail but i doubt it. You played Atom? How does the combat differ from UnderRail?
I didn't finish ATOM but I own it and put something like 20-hours into it, it's on my backlog now. Underrail combat is better and more effort was put into designing the combat.
I'm not sure if I'd even lump Underrail into 'Fallout successor' category. Inspired? Yeah, definitely, but I think it had very different goals from WL2 or ATOM IMO.

PsychoFox

Educated

pelase and tahnku

I didn't finish ATOM but I own it and put something like 20-hours into it, it's on my backlog now. Underrail combat is better and more effort was put into designing the combat.
I'm not sure if I'd even lump Underrail into 'Fallout successor' category. Inspired? Yeah, definitely, but I think it had very different goals from WL2 or ATOM IMO.
In what sense do you mean? On the surface it really does feel like a Fallout game. What makes you say it's different?

Codex Year of the Donut

pelase and tahnku

In what sense do you mean? On the surface it really does feel like a Fallout game. What makes you say it's different?
Underrail has a bigger emphasis on combat, crafting, and exploring. Fallout had a bigger focus on characters, factions, and story.
Personally I prefer the premise of "here's a foreign world with lots of weird shit going on, build a better plasma gun and get exploring" over "here's a post-post-apocalyptic world trying to rebuild itself"

PsychoFox

Educated

pelase and tahnku

Underrail has a bigger emphasis on combat, crafting, and exploring. Fallout had a bigger focus on characters, factions, and story.
Personally I prefer the premise of "here's a foreign world with lots of weird shit going on, build a better plasma gun and get exploring" over "here's a post-post-apocalyptic world trying to rebuild itself"
Okay thanks for the info. Maybe i'll bump up UnderRail in my backlog.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
PsychoFox Underrail's difference from Fallout (And ATOM, I suppose. I understand it's pretty much a carbon copy) in combat is that Underrail generally gives the player (and enemies!) FAR more tricks and tools to use. There's a whole bunch of abilities (both general and weapon-specific), traps, spells, items... Plus it has a neat system where you can sacrifice 'action points' for 'movement points'.

It all amounts to form a super-dynamic combat system where despite only controlling one character, combat never feels boring. You're always making interesting decisions.

In Fallout 1-2, I found that combat pretty much always boiled down to maxing your guns skill, shooting enemies in the eyes since it does max damage, and that's it. Became boring pretty quickly.

PsychoFox

Educated
PsychoFox Underrail's difference from Fallout (And ATOM, I suppose. I understand it's pretty much a carbon copy) in combat is that Underrail generally gives the player (and enemies!) FAR more tricks and tools to use. There's a whole bunch of abilities (both general and weapon-specific), traps, spells, items... Plus it has a neat system where you can sacrifice 'action points' for 'movement points'.

It all amounts to form a super-dynamic combat system where despite only controlling one character, combat never feels boring. You're always making interesting decisions.

In Fallout 1-2, I found that combat pretty much always boiled down to maxing your guns skill, shooting enemies in the eyes since it does max damage, and that's it. Became boring pretty quickly.
Interesting, so pretty much an in-depth combat system as opposed to Fallout or Atom RPG's point-and-shoot method.

Sykar

Arcane
Still pondering what character to build for the new Temporal Manipulation psi skill.

Interesting, so pretty much an in-depth combat system as opposed to Fallout or Atom RPG's point-and-shoot method.

The caveat being that it is balanced heavily around CDs, which is off putting to some. I do not mind though.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

pelase and tahnku

Okay thanks for the info. Maybe i'll bump up UnderRail in my backlog.
Hmmm UnderRail is inspired by fallout but it is a separate game that stands on its own feet. And that is one of the reasons why i like it more than fallout games,it is a unique game with pretty interesting mysteries to explore. Most of the mysteries don't even have a clear answer. ATOM on another hand feels like a real fallout 3. Both games should be played by any self respecting codexer.

Bros, just finished Wiz 6 for the first time, and looking to select another meaty RPG to dive into. Being a big Fallout 1/2 fan (and a homeslice of the dev) Underrail has been on my shortlist for some time.

All hyperbolic platitudes of "go play it right GOD DAMN NOW!" aside, would it be advised to wait for the expansion to drop for a first playthrough? On the one had, sounds like the new areas are high level, thus favoring starting now to transition smoothly to the expansion content. On the other hand, may there be some additional features/rebalances that alter build viability/synergies of certain skills in the base game, thus suggesting to wait for the expansion to drop?

I've got an abundance of other options for a next RPG (eyeing Dark Sun: Shattered Lands at the moment in particular), so I can definitely wait if that may be the better rout - just curious y'all.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Bros, just finished Wiz 6 for the first time, and looking to select another meaty RPG to dive into. Being a big Fallout 1/2 fan (and a homeslice of the dev) Underrail has been on my shortlist for some time.

All hyperbolic platitudes of "go play it right GOD DAMN NOW!" aside, would it be advised to wait for the expansion to drop for a first playthrough? On the one had, sounds like the new areas are high level, thus favoring starting now to transition smoothly to the expansion content. On the other hand, may there be some additional features/rebalances that alter build viability/synergies of certain skills in the base game, thus suggesting to wait for the expansion to drop?

I've got an abundance of other options for a next RPG (eyeing Dark Sun: Shattered Lands at the moment in particular), so I can definitely wait if that may be the better rout - just curious y'all.

Underrail and Dark Sun are both top tier. My suggestion is to play Underrail right away, you don't have to wait for the expansion (it's great as is).

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Hmmm UnderRail is inspired by fallout but it is a separate game that stands on its own feet. And that is one of the reasons why i like it more than fallout games,it is a unique game with pretty interesting mysteries to explore. Most of the mysteries don't even have a clear answer. ATOM on another hand feels like a real fallout 3. Both games should be played by any self respecting codexer.

I like ATOM but it feels sterile, Underrail has way more spirit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom