Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I just tried to play this again given the BG3 news. I thought Larian deserves another shake, maybe I was being too hard on them.

I'm treated an art style reminiscent of OG World of Warcraft, purple prose, and a CNP Icarus dead on the beach.

I can't. Why do you people like this game?

Whatdafak, DoS 1 is fun. Don't play the enhanced edition though. It fucks some stuff up apparently.

I mash escape through any dialogue or story, as I do with most games. The start of the game is a lot of questing and reading in that little town, but once you get past that it is mostly combat until the end of the game. The combat is pretty fun. You blow shit up and then you blow it up some more. Boss fights are better because you need to play smart and use tactics and they are fun and challenging. At the start anyway. Game got a bit easy and repetitive near the end but I enjoyed the play through. I couldn't manage a second playthrough, but the first one was good.

DoS2 I was disappointed with though.

Shrimp

Arbiter
What did DOS:EE fuck up - except for the cheese vendor change?
No idea, the 'dex is the only place where I've seen people prefer the classic version over the EE, yet I don't recall seeing the specific reasons mentioned anywhere.
Your guess is as good as mine, but if I were to pick something it'd probably be one of the things that were either changed or added with the EE's release: The addition of grenades/wands, full voice over (which in some cases changed the VAs for the existing voiced lines), the game's final section being remade and the removal of some(?) spells. The only spell I remember being removed was a fire spell that created a lava surface, but I'm sure there were more abilities that were altered or removed.

Murk

Arcane
What did DOS:EE fuck up - except for the cheese vendor change?

I don't think it fucked things up, but some changes that some are probably opposed to is the reduction in the quantity of spells and skills. Most easily state, in the original there are multiple healing spells (restoration) in the water magic tree. EE made it a single one that scales with INT and hydromancy level.

I prefer to not have redundancies in skills, but each their own. I prefer EE for sure, especially given the grenades which I loved to use.

SniperHF

Arcane
I think the positives and negatives of the EE are exaggerated. On the whole I prefer the classic version but it's not a huge difference.

Classic:
I think it's just better balanced. There are more cheese builds but if you don't play a cheese build the game is better on the whole end to end.
Visually I think it looks slightly better style wise. This is marginal but the shadows are more nuanced, the fixed perspective hides some of the map flaws, and the colors are less exaggerated.
Runs like shit.
The story is more subtle, mostly early.
Better quality voice acting (particularly the PCs)
Situational skills add variety. Fewer plateaus in skill learning.

EE:
The engine runs a fuck ton better. Classic runs like poop and always has. The EE brings DX11 which is far better optimized on current gen cards.
With the better engine comes things like increased grass counts and more dense bushes and such.
Fixing some of the thieving stuff like backstab indicators.
Slightly easier inventory management.
Tactician mode is slightly harder than classic hard mode, but not as much as it should be if there weren't other balance changes.
Grenades and Wands are trash and way overkill elements on the field.
Normal difficulty is way easier than normal on classic.
More exposition dumps.
More quest markers.
Better journal entries.
Some extra end game content.
More voice acting.
Cleans up some crafting annoyances, better recipe system.

tl;dr
The things that make classic more attractive are soft qualities, the stuff that make the EE more attractive are playability concerns.
I think the way they tried to patch up the story to make it more obvious what was going on made it worse on the whole.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I see. I was under the impression that the amount of changes brought with the EE version was relatively small, but it would appear that I was mistaken.
It almost makes me want to replay the original version to experience it first-hand since I'm moderately interested in seeing how the original game handled character building, but I'm not sure I'd actually notice the subtle differences since it's been years since I played the EE version.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I recall Darth Roxor having some OG v. EE opinions. Care to share (or link) them with us?

My biggest gripe with the EE was that it broke more than it fixed. First thing was the difficulty, where EE tactician was all around significantly easier than OG. Second was the entire endgame, which already sucked in the OG, and yet they managed to make it worse. And third was the story, which was also like point 2 - it was already terrible in the OG, and yet they managed to make it even more terrible.

SniperHF mentions that the OG 'ran like shit' for him or some such, but here my experience is also very different. I had no trubble with the OG, while with the EE I suffered through a lot of problems with the netcode, including corrupted saves and constant connection timeouts in coop.

I also very much disliked all the voiceover they added everywhere, because it was pretty freaking bad. Not to mention they changed the cheese vendor. NEVER FORGET WHAT THEY DID TO THE CHEESE VENDOR.

no-return

Educated
Codex Year of the Donut
I've started playing D:OS classic recently and its my most hated game now. Worst RPG I ever played. It is worse RPG than Skyrim.
Its like they tried to make it look like old classic rpgs, with isometric view and walls of texts. Just for looks.
And game limits you by level areas, and you always fight enemies same level as you. So it is like level scaled, but without freedom.

And they think reloading 10 times is a normal process of playing games? It is not. in Fallouts, Baldurs gate, Dragon age when you die it shows "you died, game over" not just load game.
Developers of D:OS should watch on youtube how people playing Baldur's gate 2 blind with no reloads.

I can't believe the same people will do next Baldur's gate.
It will be worse than Fallout 3. It will be like Fallout 3 but with isometric view, static world and npcs, with story and events put into text walls.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I've started playing D:OS classic recently and its my most hated game now. Worst RPG I ever played. It is worse RPG than Skyrim.
Its like they tried to make it look like old classic rpgs, with isometric view and walls of texts. Just for looks.
And game limits you by level areas, and you always fight enemies same level as you. So it is like level scaled, but without freedom.

And they think reloading 10 times is a normal process of playing games? It is not. in Fallouts, Baldurs gate, Dragon age when you die it shows "you died, game over" not just load game.
Developers of D:OS should watch on youtube how people playing Baldur's gate 2 blind with no reloads.

I can't believe the same people will do next Baldur's gate.
It will be worse than Fallout 3. It will be like Fallout 3 but with isometric view, static world and npcs, with story and events put into text walls.
What a way to start out your journey on RPG codex.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
e9d.jpg

no-return

Educated
Codex Year of the Donut
So I've "learned" how to play this game, using AI exploits like path blocking, summons, charm, quick save/reload at every step.
Lost
Bairdotr. Why I had no option to persuade her? No option to resurrect her?
Sure, why would anyone consider more options when reloading is solution to everything in this game?

kyubajin

Barely Literate
Hello everyone, new guy here. I watch a couple amazing documentaries about Larian Studios that made me give Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition a go and 10 hours later I'm absolutely amazed. Brief introduction, this is not my first cRPG, as a matter of fact I actually played Divine Divinity back then and absolutely loved it. Had tried to get into hardcore cRPGs before with Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale but always lost interest. Played and beat Pillars of Eternity and had a blast, however DOS:EE is a different kind of awesome. I know for a fact that part II is a much better game, but I wanted to play and finish the original first. Anyway, glad to be here ;)

m_s0

Arcane
So years after picking this up I finally sat down for a proper go. Combat is decent, even though so far this is 'status effect: the game' which, turns out, gets a bit irritating if you base your entire game around it.

Otherwise the progression at the beginning seems machine-tooled to the point where it feels like the game has level scaling, even though it doesn't (does it?). My primary issue.

The writing needs to be chopped in half and re-done pretty much from scratch. The more inconsequential it is, the better it is, and if you're not on board with soothsaying bulls or whatever no amount of effort will help those, so I guess it's the critical path that needs real attention from a team of (soon to be traumatized) editors. Wordy doesn't even begin to describe it, it's painful to slog through.

S'okay, overall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom