Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline New Samurai Showdown

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah, Rimu is a repeated concept and thus a "bad" character. She is Nakoruru...except...icy and trying even harder to be "oh so cutesy". SNK never expected Nakoruru to become THE most popular Shamsho character ever, but since she did they decided to go ahead and give her a sister/sidekick. IIRC all intros and outros of Rimururu are about finding her sister and whatnot. It's a character with zero presence of its own. Gameplay-wise, however, she IS kinda interesting and unique, with her icy platforms and whatnot. She's still a better sidekick than, say, Christie Monteiro to Eddy (mechanically a fucking CLONE) or Falke to Ed (horrible design clone).

Anyway, I want Amakusa and the ninja brothers and (maybe) Shizumaru. Hey, he DID slay Zankuro, according to the official cannon.

What I DON'T want: "bust characters" (Rera, Demon-Haomaru), garbage concepts (Kusaregedo, that other engine thing), shitty fanservice/fap bait (Ioha), poorly disguised rip-off from other games (there is a Vega clone ,Freddy Krueger clone Shang Tsung clone in V) and lazy palletswaps (that bandit that has Genjuro's model).

I wonder if Nako/Rimu will be immune to finishers, like back in the day. I'm not a fan of seeing perfect girl Nakoruru getting gutted.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
News on the game:

SUPPOSED DLC leak:

TL;DW: Season 1 DLC pack will consist of Rimururu, Basara, Iroha and a brand new character. Other than Rimururu, this list is an unconfirmed rumor.

Galford got his trailer. Still no trailer for either Hanzo or Jubei =/.

CyberModuled

Savant
Code Mystic's port of Sam Sho V out on Steam (meaning the netcode isn't awful). May as well mess around with it until the Steam version of Shodown 2019 is out in Winter.

Also based SNK for not falling for Sweeney's meme store.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Ty for the info. Bought SSVS immediately. As for Epic Store, yeah, there was no chance in hell SNK would ever sign a deal with them, since SamSho is already making a killing in Asian preorders alone. Actually, with SFV being shit, MK11 being yet another NRS cinematic turd and DBFZ being a samey fanservice bore, SamSho 2019 has a pretty good chance of becoming the top dog on Steam. It might be the 2009 SFIV "renaissance" all over again, except this time with SNK and SamSho at the helm.

Oh, and Jubei got a trailer:

EDIT:

25_samshocontrols01.jpg

This info is official. They are NOT going with the silly control scheme of 1,2 and 5, instead opting for the more reasonable SamSho IV one. You know, the one where strong slash isn't a fucking two button move :roll:

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
i still see plenty of double presses :| i thought the world was past these barbaric practices.
Most of the double presses are also commands you can do with the shoulders dude. Box-Triangle is R1, Triangle-Circle is L1, and so on.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
BREAKING NEWS:

TL;DW: Nicotine almost made it into the roster. They even have a 3d model for him. DLC speculation's main source (a poll in SNK's Japanese website) got discredited by head dev. He stated the team decided on the DLC characters first and made the poll afterwards, so Rimururu remains the only confirmed DLC so far. Two more things the head honcho stated: no plans for shitty eye cancer character customization, so enjoy your default four colors AND he thinks Iroha doesn't really fit the game, as she is a shitty fanservice character that constantly breaks the 4th wall and talks to the player directly. Great answers, IMO.

"Story mode" is actually just good ol' arcade mode. No long cutscene faggotry. Your dude just goes around the world battling other dudes, the other guy/gal drops his intro and the fight begins. None of that "ZOMG, CHARACTERS FLIRT WITH EACH OTHER!" Nu-MK retarded crap.

Final Boss revealed. New character (it's not Mizuki).

Most of the double presses are also commands you can do with the shoulders dude. Box-Triangle is R1, Triangle-Circle is L1, and so on.

Every tekken match I see on Jewtube, both players always open their input menu to show they have no binds for double presses. Dunno if that's a dumb tournament rule or if it is some sort of "e-honor" shit, but the fact remains: a large portion of the PRO community still believes double presses are a tr00 and l33t thing that should be kept/respected and using shoulder buttons is OMG, LITERALLY CHEATING.

Nathir

Liturgist
Bought the V special on steam. Won like 5 games with Suija today. Too bad the game won't have any players after a week.

I would so love to play the new game, but I only have a PC, so I get nothing till september. And I really hope for no Iroha in the game. That guy was right about her, but the suits might still force her in just because all the weebs will buy her.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Every tekken match I see on Jewtube, both players always open their input menu to show they have no binds for double presses. Dunno if that's a dumb tournament rule or if it is some sort of "e-honor" shit, but the fact remains: a large portion of the PRO community still believes double presses are a tr00 and l33t thing that should be kept/respected and using shoulder buttons is OMG, LITERALLY CHEATING.
Usually opening the inputs menu before a match is to check to see if their buttons are what they want. Before each match there's always a button check, so it's most likely that. There's no tourney rule that bans shoulder buttons, and I have never found anyone call it "literally cheating". Macros (buttons modded onto a controller to do certain inputs) on the other hand, is. Double presses, well, I don't think people say much about that in particular but there is an ongoing conversation on fighting game inputs (quarter circles, half circles, etc) in terms of accessibility but most seem to agree it's necessary to judge a certain amount of skill. There are games that try to make it simpler but they don't get very far (see: Divekick).

SNK never expected Nakoruru to become THE most popular Shamsho character ever

O_o

I sure as hell wouldn't expect that either.
I'd blame lolicons, although apparently she's above 18 in most of the games. This game is a prequel however, so.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron

Pre-release tournament with English speaking players and commentary. TL;DW: Yoshitora won. Ukyo was top pick and Genjuro a close second. One dude made it to 3rd place with Galford. Shiki, Charlotte and Haomaru were also there.

Pretty fun to watch if you skip the filler parts.

what's wrong with animations? they're so slow, sluggish, they don't convey any sense of power.

at least the ruleset seems decent, similar to 4's, one of my favourite games ever.

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
season+pass+1+samurai+shodown.jpg

No more mystery, dlc plans were revealed by SNk. We get ice lolli on August, emoboy on oct, Kazuki "I FUCKING CALLED IT" Kazama in dec and OG wanfu in February.

Well, actually I don't "get" anything, since I have to wait for the PC release. :negative:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Rimuru was pretty awesome in Cardfighters...

Loved my SNK Kula/ Rimururu water lockdown deck

So I always wanted to learn her but III was shit, IV brought back Jubei and V had easy and broken Mina, I'm too lazy to learn a new character otherwise.

Last edited:

Irata

Scholar
Will it have PC/Sony crossplay like SF5? Pretty sad that SF5 is still the only real option on the PC if you want to play online (at least for people like me who are awful).

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Will it have PC/Sony crossplay like SF5? Pretty sad that SF5 is still the only real option on the PC if you want to play online (at least for people like me who are awful).

Tekken 7 has twice the player base and MK11 has even more. Heck, even DBFZ probably has more people than SFV at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom