Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Oh boy, that customization. Then again Spiders had that for couple of games now and kept building it up. I remember Bound by Flame had surprising amount of fiddling with weapons and armor.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh boy, that customization. Then again Spiders had that for couple of games now and kept building it up. I remember Bound by Flame had surprising amount of fiddling with weapons and armor.
so was technomancer.

Every piece of equipment (maybe not accessory like gloves, but weapons and armors definitely do) have something to tweak that affect stat and appearances.

Beastro

Arcane
hoan2nn4.szn.jpg

"...how the smallest decision, such as who you add to your party at a particular time, can come back to bit you ten hours later".

Yeah, I've heard this many times before and it's always been "One or two little things added in to show we're technically correct in claiming that, but it wasn't as common or as important as we implied it would be."

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
pre-ordered just in case epic fucks up everything again.

fingers crossed I don't need to apply for a refund on the launch day.

PsychoFox

Educated
I'm excited for this but a little apprehensive. Hope it's not just more eurojank. If it's at least as good as ELEX i'd be happy.

jf8350143

Liturgist
The store page says it comes out in October instead of September. Is that a delay or a time zone difference.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The store page says it comes out in October instead of September. Is that a delay or a time zone difference.

You mean the Steam store page? I'm seeing September.

It might be a timezone thing if it's set to September 30th under the hood.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Once you set off from the Old Continent, your first stop on the Island of Teer Fradee will be New Serene.

This colony, governed by your cousin Constantin, is the first step of an epic journey full of secrets, intrigue and magic.

Jinn

Arcane
I really like the sounds of how they set a foundation of fostering a creative environment by compiling a library of sources before even starting the project in earnest.

Also like how more of a focus on exploration over their other games is emphasized.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/40643/greedfall-devblog-the-birth-of-a-new-universe

GreedFall Devblog – The Birth of A New Universe

Hi everyone,

We are delighted to kick off a series of articles unveiling more details about the making of GreedFall today – a one-of-a-kind RPG by Spiders, coming to Playstation 4, Xbox One, and PC on September 10.

We’re taking a look at this new world, specially created for GreedFall, with Jehanne Rousseau, Lead Writer and CEO at Spiders, as well as Cyril Tahmassebi, Artistic Director, and Camille Lallement, Lead Cinematic Artist.

How GreedFall came to life

The need to confront new challenges in a distinct universe impassioned the team, inspiring Spiders to dream up a unique concept and naturally leading to the creation of GreedFall. CEO and Lead Writer Jehanne Rousseau set out to create a more fantasy-based universe, totally distinct from the arid Dunes of Mars.

For GreedFall, Spiders delved into vast, open-air environments, forests, and lush greenery while avoiding the cliches of the classic medieval fantasy setting. The team also wished to highlight exploration even more than in previous titles. Taking inspiration from the 17th century, particularly baroque artwork, seemed fitting as an answer to both criteria.

The natural next step was to seek new reference materials to gain inspiration from; from artwork to literature. The team quickly built a library of material and references that resonated with the project, from which to stimulate imagination and creativity. This is really how the world of GreedFall came to life.

Spiders' inspirations for GreedFall
Countless books, movies and tv shows were studied by the whole team to create this new universe! Camille Lallement, Lead Cinematic Artist, also claims the team wanted to explore current issues, as well as some older ones that we may otherwise like to collectively forget. Key inspirations include the Miyazaki classic Princess Mononoke. The animated film was one of the first references when designing the natives living on the Island of Teer Fradee. It also pushed the team to start considering ecology as one of the native’s greatest motives.

Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001) was also a great inspiration for the general aesthetic, particularly the rich variety of outfits and equipment. Of course, modern shows such as Game of Thrones also provided some inspiration regarding political intrigue and complex diplomacy, even if that specific setting is very different in tone and environment.

Swashbuckling adventures were a fantastic source of inspiration in terms of narrative for Jehanne, especially those written by Dumas (The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, The Vicomte de Bragelotte). Historical events were also instrumental in building GreedFall’s world and narrative - Jehanne even read a book written under Louis XIV’s reign, about the contemporary Navy in order to find specific terms and understand how specific aspects of navigation evolved over time.

Artistic Director Cyril Tahmassebi lists sources of inspiration dating back to the 17th century art. Rembrandt, Jan Steen, Frans Hals, Vermeer and even the Chiaroscuro technique of contrasting light and darkness were vital references when creating GreedFall’s visuals. The architecture, costumes, ornaments, lighting, objects, textures, atmosphere from this time all inspired the art team at Spiders.

Stay tuned for more insights about the development of GreedFall in our next articles! GreedFall releases on September 10 on Playstation 4, Xbox One and PC.http://greedfall.com/

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

GreedFall, the latest RPG from Spiders studio, invites you to forge your destiny on the uncharted island of Teer Fradee, when the game releases September 10 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

The old world is dying, and its weary population is plagued by a seemingly unstoppable disease. The only glimmer of hope lies in rumors that a cure may be found on the recently discovered island of Teer Fradee.
Joining your cousin, governor Constantin D’Orsay, along with various factions with their own directives and hidden agendas, journey into a new world seeping with magic.
Will you align yourself with one of the new colonies, or join the natives in their struggle for liberty? Player freedom and choice are core to GreedFall, as your decisions will build friendships, break alliances, diffuse conflicts and shape the future of the island. Exploring a brave new frontier, your search for lost secrets will rely on more than just skill in combat.
Everything, whether a dialogue option, choosing a stealthy approach, or even your choice of companion in a given situation may alter the outcome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom