Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
It makes absolute sense for the world of Cyberpunk to be all over the place sexually and if you have a problem with that it's on you, IMO. That said I hope they don't have NPCs constantly all over my dick whether I flirt with them or not, like some Bioware games do. Keep that shit optional and subtle, both for straights and queers.
only makes sense if I'm also given the option to hook them up to a car battery considering the world of Cyberpunk

Darkzone

Arcane
Underrail was developed by one guy and has the same amount of unique npcs than TW3.
Underrail is also a lo-fi game with actual Paint graphics. it's not the same as making full unique 3d models.
For me the "Paint grapics" would be more difficult. Full unique 3d models are not always required for individual looking characters, good morph targets like in P:K or Bethesda's recent games are sufficient.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Good, they can focus their resource instead of doing some useless stuff pandering to people who want to be a senseless murder hobo.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png
day1purchase.png

Paul_cz

Arcane
I think NV's design - where you can kill literally everyone or literally no one and still finish the game - is genius, but they do cheat with Yes Man being a robot that gets his mind always replaced into new body if you kill him. Not every game can, or should have to, rely on such "cheat" in order to provide functionality that nearly nobody would use anyway; as they said the resources are better spent elsewhere, and CDP's stories are always mostly character focused (which is for the better).
Still, NV was really fucking awesome for sure. And I am glad CDP is using it for a bit of inspiration.

Zer0wing

Cipher
I think NV's design - where you can kill literally everyone or literally no one and still finish the game - is genius, but they do cheat with Yes Man being a robot that gets his mind always replaced into new body if you kill him. Not every game can, or should have to, rely on such "cheat" in order to provide functionality that nearly nobody would use anyway; as they said the resources are better spent elsewhere, and CDP's stories are always mostly character focused (which is for the better).
CDPR already have similar kind of cheat - Johnny/Alt pairing is digitized through Soulkiller already, you can't possibly kill them without harming yourself.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I find it highly likely that competitors are behind the SJW hit pieces. Chances are this will only work in favour of CDP.

So fuck those greedy pigs from epic or whatever.

Vulpes

Scholar
CDPR already have similar kind of cheat - Johnny/Alt pairing is digitized through Soulkiller already, you can't possibly kill them without harming yourself.
What if you were to replace whatever cybernetic part his AI is stored in? Wouldn't that get rid of him?

Important question

Can you romance Keanu? Asking for a friend.

latest

I so wish they made him lewk like this in the game
hXQeWCi.png
FTFY

Keanu is apparently the internet boyfriend now
Something tells me that we're all be better off not knowing what that means

Zer0wing

Cipher
What if you were to replace whatever cybernetic part his AI is stored in? Wouldn't that get rid of him?
Isn't he's being stored on the shard or some irreplacable (due to the plot reasons) cyberpnetic part? Isn't he comes from the virtual world?

It doesn't take much to rewrite the plot to make Keanu Silverhand and his busty gf a cybernetic Yes Man.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think that dude is pretty spot-on that you'd have to have a more faction driven story to do the no unkillable NPCs thing. Also CDPR's games are so narratively driven anyway it was a silly expectation. New Vegas has memorable characters of course, but the overall plot is all about the location and factions. The Witcher 3, and one would assume Cyberpunk, was all about character journeys and "cinematic" moments. Very different game styles.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Hey @CDPROJEKTRED, i'm always available for consulting cause it sure sounds like you might need it before the whole of the internet drags you for what sounds like some potentially Elvish representations...which we all know you've struggled with in the past :argh:

#blatantblackmail, #desperatemoneygrubber, #i'mstillrelevanthonestly

deama

Prophet
Why can't we have killable NPCs AND a decent story? Just whip up the employees some more, it's not like they're not doing it already!

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I find it highly likely that competitors are behind the SJW hit pieces. Chances are this will only work in favour of CDP.

I think that opinion has already begun to shift because whoever is behind this "controversy" doesn't know when to stop. At some point even the ignorant mainstream sees others ganging up on a company for no real reason and it has the opposite effect.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Letting you kill NPCs even if it prevents you from completing the story would not necessarily be all that easier for the developers than just going full Obsidian. CD Projekt make games that are heavily based on scripted cinematics. Every person that you kill, they would have to make sure he doesn't appear later on in some scripted sequence. Even if you allow a game to fail, making it fail gracefully requires work.

The most realistic option if you want to be able to kill NPCs is to allow it but immediately pop up a game over if you do it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom