Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AMID EVIL - Heretic/Hexen-inspired FPS from the creators of Return of the Triad mod

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Does anyone else get really bad motion sickness from this game? I haven't played it yet but watching the gameplay footage makes me feel nauseated
The compression of videos makes it much harder to look at than what it really is. The same apply to the health/armor pickups.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I wonder if it's because of noisiness/shimmering from the lack of mipmap and anisotropic filtering combined with high screen resolution. It gives you too much noisy detail for distant things.

Wonder if playing at retro resolution (like 640*480 or its 16:9 equivalents) helps. :cool:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It definitely has a gritty/shimmery look to it which I am sure is intentional. Clean and crisp visuals aren't really "in" right now.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Are you guys saying this artsy shit is hurting your eyes? Intradasting.

But if the gameplay is good great. Will try it later this week, got shit to do now.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I wonder if it's because of noisiness/shimmering from the lack of mipmap and anisotropic filtering combined with high screen resolution. It gives you too much noisy detail for distant things.

Wonder if playing at retro resolution (like 640*480 or its 16:9 equivalents) helps. :cool:
Like I said before, playing with Temporal Anti-Aliasing enabled helps reduce the visual noise at long distances by blurring it all out.

Israfael

Arcane
Very passable game, it's like Heretic visuals combined with Unreal levels (although somewhat downsized, but for levels like Bluff Eversmoking or the last two in Unreal (don't remember the names) it'd be actually a good thing), went through two episodes, they were enjoyable, but (1) too short, (2) quite easy - Dusk is much harder and enemies are rarely ganging up on you (and by ganging up I mean around 5 at the most), (3) Heretic elements could have been expanded - having inventory and multiple items (as compared to the Tome right click as of now) would be much more fun.
Does anyone else get really bad motion sickness from this game? I haven't played it yet but watching the gameplay footage makes me feel nauseated
I more or less fixed it (or maybe got used to this) by setting FOV to 85, disabling headbob (it's usually the biggest cause of headaches and vomit urges after too narrow field of view) and setting Temporal AA to on. Now it's passable, although there's still some strain on the eyes.

Puukko

Arcane
Having a lot of fun, hard is definitely the way to go. This current map with the vine enemies and tiki masks is the weakest one so far. There's a secret level with a bunch of platforming and a throwback reference at the end.

I'm having no issues with motion sickness but then again no game has ever given me that.

Jezal_k23

Hard hasn't given me any really tough situations to deal with yet as of episode 4. That's not to say the game is easy, it's just never very hard like "I can't seem to beat this level" hard.

Puukko

Arcane
Hard hasn't given me any really tough situations to deal with yet as of episode 4. That's not to say the game is easy, it's just never very hard like "I can't seem to beat this level" hard.
There is apparently a hidden difficulty level above hard, too.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
There is apparently a hidden difficulty level above hard, too.
It's called EVIL difficulty. In the same vein as Quake 1 it is hidden in the difficulty selection area which you can find if you look closely at the walls.

Can't say it provides a stark change over Hard mode, however.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Harder = better, as long as it doesn't add annoying things like respawing enemies.

Jezal_k23

Well, looks like episode 5 is the hardest so far. Every new monster is a huge dick and even the goddamn fish wants really badly to take your goddamn life. One fish jumped out of the water and came after me. That was fucked up.

I mean it. The fish are really fast, way faster than your swimming, and they only have one goal which is to eat you.

After running through a few levels I am liking Amid Evil, but not as much as Dusk. The weapons are pretty good but not as satisfying to use, the levels are visually more interesting (Real purdy, even) but I'm finding them less fun to play in than Dusk, and the limited enemy variety is already becoming noticeable. Maybe it'll bug me less once I start moving through episodes but it does seem like a shame that after a level or two you've seen all the baddies for that episode, and as mentioned previously that'll probably mean less interesting enemy groups later on. Originally planned to wait a bit but the Steam sale suckered me in even though there was no additional discount on Amid Evil, but I thought the dumb metagame was going to work differently and I thought Amid Evil was more expensive than it actually was, both of which pushed me into buying. After poking at it a little it isn't as impressive as Dusk (Though still too easy on hard, but much like Dusk I figure that'll ramp up after a few episodes) but still seems worth a keep.

One side note though, even though the sound in Amid Evil is really well done I was still disappointed I didn't hear the Heretic "Thing hitting water" sound. That remains one of my all-time favorite sounds in any videogame ever. That fucking "Sbloosh" sound gets me every goddamn time. In fact I'd say Heretic still has better sound but that's a pretty high bar to reach, the crunch of the imps and the wheeze of the mummies and Doomguy-like grunts are all top notch. I do like the Amid Evil guy's laugh when you pick up a weapon but I wish it was louder.

Jezal_k23

The sheer amount of enemies in Amid Evil is insane actually. They are simply contained in each episode and all enemy types in an episode generally do get introduced in the first level of the episode itself. I can see how it's disappointing to see every single enemy type in an episode right in its first level, but technically the number of individual enemy types in this game is actually much higher than Heretic itself or Doom 2.

Ivan

Arcane
holy sheeeeet this game is badass. Gotta say I'm digging this more than Dusk. The level design is far more open and I feel like I gotta cheese the game less here. Still too easy on Hard, like in Dusk, but so far I'm having a great time. Only thing I'm left really left craving is "last weapon used" key

:shredder::shredder::shredder::shredder:

Curratum

The secret level in the game has a secret boss who is
tiny versions of Big John from Dusk, who in turn was voiced by Dave Oshry, New Blood owner / game producer, doing a drunk impersonation of Arnold, but this time it's the Wee Johns and it's a shrunk, multiplied model with the voice pitch-shifted. The wee Johns also dab at you as they jump to attack you.
UQ7y0xv.jpg

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So I did something dumb and ended up killing myself with a black hole and this happened.

L20kGzd.jpg

The context sensitive death screens are so sweet.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Just started playing this, my impressions...

- environments are cool (aesthetically)
- level design is good, not spectacular but good (only a couple of levels in)
- like it that they removed fall damage and drowning out of the way
- weapons are stylish and feel good (the scimitar could have had insta-decaps and ricocheting like the Ripper from UT99 to make it more interesting)
- enemy design is... weird. Like a bunch of polygons running at you (but at least its consistent)
- there is this gloss/bump mapping everywhere, seriosly I dunno what it is but it kinda sucks (also weird artifacts on water surface when looking up... engine limitation?)
- secrets are plenty and hard to find
- where's secondary fire? kinda feels like a wasted opportunity but I dunno
- the soul mode or whatever is a cool alternative to quad damage
- dreamy/haunting music fits the style
- sound effects are average (?) but sometimes very awful
- some powerups blend in with the surroundings and are hard to see (souls), especially when you add huge viewing distances some levels seem to have

The overall impression is pretty good.

Last edited:

otsego

Cipher
I bought this recently because of folks in this thread comparing it to Heretic/Hexen, but I can't figure out if it is displaying improperly on my screen or not.

I saw others commenting about "hard on the eyes" and motion sickness, but the game just looks.... super squished? Horizontally stretched? When I jump it looks like the dude gets on his tippy toes rather than jump. My depth perception is way off playing this game and it makes melee tough (inb4 ur old lel).

I played with the FOV but can't quite get it looking... comfortable. Is this the design, or am I missing some settings or cfgs to edit?

Curratum

Make sure you use the toggle / checkbox that locks your mouselook hor / vert sensitivities to your aspect ratio. Helped me with that weird feel, not sure if it's the same issue but still.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I'm mid Episode 2 and it's definitely weaker than the first.

Enemies are... I don't even know what I'm fighting anymore. Ugly flying blobs that dart across the screen erratically, homing blobs, blobs on the ceiling, some humanoid (?) constructs that don't look like anything. I don't care about graphics but enemy design in Episode 2 is neither stylish nor functional.

The levels are dark, ugly and resemble factories (?). I understand that chapters need to be different but this combination of absolute asymmetry and brown color everywhere was an awful choice.

The sound effects are too loud and uncalibrated. Perhaps an overlooked element and definitely no biggie but proper foley effects can go a long way (e.g. Project Warlock).

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I didn't really dig Hexen. The convoluted & tedious to navigate hub system was a huge disappointment after the fun, simplicity and pure satisfaction of Heretic. But this looks like it captures the spirit of both games well. May it be a success for them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom