Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

Melcar

Arcane
I want Fatal Frame port (Wii and WiiU entries) on Switch now! Nintendo partially owns the IP what the fuck are they waiting for?
MoBWBikini.jpg

That's a weird thong.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected

$199, no TV mode, smaller, no removable joycons. A nonsense name because it doesn't actually switch as the name suggests, but the price is reasonable enough.

Last edited:
So now you can't even split it into smaller pieces. And in the mushroom kingdom that somehow makes this more portable?

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The fact that the presenter had to specifically mention that you should check behind game cases to see if it supports handheld mode makes me think that not every Switch release is going to work on this Lite version. Seems like a complete waste of cash either way.

Tigranes

Arcane
I am late, but Cadence of Hyrule is a nice, charming game - however it is very short (basically finishable in one long sitting). I would get it on a sale.

Switch Lite doesn't seem worth it to me, the entire point is to switch between modes. However, I would assume this is a decent buy for people who already have a Switch and need another cheaper one for a family member, or someone who has xbox and ps4 and just wants a new handheld, etc.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The fact that the presenter had to specifically mention that you should check behind game cases to see if it supports handheld mode makes me think that not every Switch release is going to work on this Lite version. Seems like a complete waste of cash either way.

I've learned from comment sections at Eurogamer and such that a lot of tweens and teens play this system almost exclusively in handheld mode, and choose to play "big" games on it so they can play in handheld mode. I'm not sure why... playing it on the way to class? Between classes? I assume any teen in Western countries today has their own TV, but maybe not? In any case there's a market for this shit, and teens are the type who'd like to save $100, either out of their own pocket or from what they ask their parents for. I think it's a smart move even if people like us have zero interest in it.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
The switch light looks like something that might finally persuade me to get a nintendo handheld console since my 2ds (never got the wii line). Saving $100 to lose the ability to play on a television, which I would never use because I don't and never will own a television, sounds reasonable. What are the system sellers for it? So far I haven't looked much into the games but BotW looks like a game that helps justify owning the console.

I think this product was made for the pc audience who have no interest in buying TVs but are interested in trying out some of the nintendo exclusives. Yeah, you can play handheld on the normal switch, but it's a full console price for that, and dropping to $200 is massive in persuading people to be more open to the idea of investing in a new nintendo console. I've never used their home consoles and always done PC + nintendo handheld.

Darkforge

Augur
Uuuh. I plug my Soytendo Switch into the Same monitor I use on my pc....
Also BOTW is okay but you are better off emulating it on PC really, better graphics and 60fps providing you don't have a complete potato.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Uuuh. I plug my Soytendo Switch into the Same monitor I use on my pc....
Also BOTW is okay but you are better off emulating it on PC really, better graphics and 60fps providing you don't have a complete potato.
You can use a PC monitor instead of a television screen? I had no idea.

Tigranes

Arcane
Valky ~250USD bundles for Switch + game (e.g. Mario Kart) are fairly common, so you should consider that. I generally play handheld including flights and commutes, but the full Switch can also be useful for, say, putting the main body on a train seat table and playing with joycons in hand, or the ability to play local two-player at a moment's notice.

Key titles include BOTW and hte usual Nintendo suspects like Mario Odyssey, but the handheld nature also excels at games like Hollow Knight, Darkest Dungeon that are available multiplatform. Fire Emblem is coming this month.

You can use any monitor that takes an HDMI cable. I use my PC monitor.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
In that case I guess I don't have to waste money on a tv to use big screen mode, which is nice if I ever want to use big screen mode.
I don't play multiplayer games so the table mode thing is meaningless to me.
At this point it comes down to if 100 dollars is worth my ability to use a big screen when I'm already fairly used to handhelds for nintendo games. Also, if I can find enough games to justify it. Multiplats also on PC aren't worth anything because I already have stuff like hollow knight on my computer, so it's down to exclusives. I really wish a Golden Sun 4 was made, that would probably sell me on the switch. For now, I think I'll probably wait for more games, I don't play the usual nintendo stuff like mario, and BotW would be the first new zelda I've found interest in since LttP on gameboy.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
My friend gave me a Switch and I tried a bunch of games on it but the only one I really liked was Zelda BotW. I never liked the 3D Mario games and Odyssey is no better, the "new" Super Mario Bros. games are artistically dead trash, and Smash Bros. is super not my thing. If he wouldn't be offended by it I'd sell the thing and just emulate Zelda on my PC.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So the Nintendo Switch that doesn't have the "switching" capability...

I guess I should call it Nintendo DS (Don't Switch)? :M

Vorark

Erudite
Not really that portable, should have been at most slightly bigger than the PS Vita Slim. Removing the screen bazels would have helped in the shrinking process.

dLanuJL.png

Swigen

Arbiter
I was holding out for this. Gonna buy it and play the fuck outta Shin Megami Tensei 5 and Daemon X Machina.

Tigranes

Arcane
Main Switch is very portable if you have even a purse. Obviously cant put it in a pocket. I would imagine same is true with Lite, really. Perhaps more friendly to just tossing it ajywhere, since some people seem to be scared of damaging the Switch.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What kind of man carries a purse?

If the target audience is students or adults with a long commute to work then both would likely have a backpack, briefcase or similar thing. Same for people taking trips, they'd have luggage.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://gematsu.com/2019/07/updated-original-switch-model-with-improved-battery-life-announced

Updated original Switch model with improved battery life announced
Play Breath of the Wild for 5.5 hours on a single charge.

Sal Romano44 mins ago
Updated-Switch_07-17-19.jpg

Nintendo will has announced an updated version of the original Switch model with updated battery life.

Whereas the current original Switch model (HAC-001) runs about 2.5 to 6.5 hours (and lasts approximately three hours when playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild), the updated Switch model (HAC-001(-01)) runs about 4.5 to 9 hours (and lasts approximately 5.5 hours when playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild), according to Nintendo.com.

The new model will go in sale in late August in Japan (via Nintendo.co.jp) and early September in Europe (via Nintendo.fr). A release date for North America has yet to be announced

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom