Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Gerrard

Arcane
I hope they reuse the dark souls 3 engine as far as visuals are concerned so it can run on my RX470.
The "Dark Souls 3 engine" is CPU bound trash. Literally the only graphics setting that makes a difference is the resolution.

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
It's going to be the same shit as before. Even Sekiro felt too much like Souls to me.
Of course it did.
It started as Tenchu then they added the Soulsborne design to it: bonfires, respawn, areas and area bosses, shortcuts, "does not open from this side", NPCs and the exact same way of interacting with them and advancing their stories as in the previous games etc.

Insert Title Here
“Sunset found him writing in the basement, groaning. Every game was worse than the one before, and seemed dumber. By the time the moon came up, he was writing erotic encounters between Sekiro and Seath the Scaleless. The more he wrote the more he came, but the more he came, the less he wanted to actually finish writing his own renowned fantasy series.”

IceyD

Scholar
sekiro was fun but i'm just not about its story. less is more with miyzaki titles and i worry that Martin is going mean too much expository background and dialogue.

for most videogames, the more "plot" added means the less imagination the player gets to apply to the experience. it's funny but shutting the hell up is the best way for a game dev to get easy credit for 'world building.'

Insert Title Here
it's funny but shutting the hell up is the best way for a game dev to get easy credit for 'world building.'

Yeah, as much as I like From games, I think what really happens is Miyazaki and co. just come up with some vague storyboard stuff like DUDE WHAT IF THERE WAS A GIANT WHO FELL OUT OF A TREE AND CHERRY BLOSSOMS SPROUTED FROM HIS DISGORGED INTESTINES?! then they pay a bunch of people to make cool assets for it. Art, music, etc. are the execution here and therefore the real value of the game. I'm sure I could make a badass "deep" world too if I had a multi-million dollar budget to pay people to turn my vague nonsense into nice character models and such. Not that I'm saying making such a game is easy, I just agree that the alleged deepness is overblown.

Wishlist: The game comes with digital versions of all the novels so far and a jester walks out on stage in front of the curtains and says "If you want to know what's happening, read the enclosed epubs." then he sprouts a pair of bird wings and flutters out of a nearby window. Nary an explanation for anything is given from that point on.

Black Angel

Arcane
It's going to be the same shit as before. Even Sekiro felt too much like Souls to me.
Of course it did.
It started as Tenchu then they added the Soulsborne design to it: bonfires, respawn, areas and area bosses, shortcuts, "does not open from this side", NPCs and the exact same way of interacting with them and advancing their stories as in the previous games etc.
I can understand the criticism with respawn and especially the bonfires, especially since there's way too many in Sekiro, but is there really anything inherently wrong with areas and area bosses, shortcuts, "does not open from this side", NPCs and their interaction?

I haven't played any Tenchu games so perhaps you can enlighten me from that perspective?

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Of course it did.
I can understand the criticism with respawn and especially the bonfires, especially since there's way too many in Sekiro, but is there really anything inherently wrong with areas and area bosses, shortcuts, "does not open from this side", NPCs and their interaction?

I haven't played any Tenchu games so perhaps you can enlighten me from that perspective?
It wasn't a criticism. None of it. I just emphasized what the similarities between Soulsborne games and Sekiro are. Mechanically, they're different, but design wise, they're identical.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Did you even read the rest of my post? Have you even played the game? Probably no on both accounts.

I have and I did. Why do you think they added all that shit instead of going with the tenchu route?
In one of the interviews Miyazaki said that Tenchu is the brainchild of someone else and they didn't want to tarnish it or something to that extent. Ultimately it's mechanically similar to Tenchu but permeated by Soulsborne design philosophy for the reasons I in my first post. Lobos played Tenchu before Sekiro came out and if you watch that, or better yet if you played it the similarities and differences are clear.

Swigen

Arbiter
Did you even read the rest of my post? Have you even played the game? Probably no on both accounts.

I have and I did. Why do you think they added all that shit instead of going with the tenchu route?
In one of the interviews Miyazaki said that Tenchu is the brainchild of someone else and they didn't want to tarnish it or something to that extent. Ultimately it's mechanically similar to Tenchu but permeated by Soulsborne design philosophy for the reasons I in my first post. Lobos played Tenchu before Sekiro came out and if you watch that, or better yet if you played it the similarities and differences are clear.

Didn’t wanna tarnish it? That’s cool. I hope Larian follows suit and really crams Baldur’s Gate 3 with Original Sin mechanics like turn based combat, whimsical dialogue and, proceeding every important decision, a fuckin’ tournament bracket of “Rock, Paper, Scissors” between you and your entire party.

Gerrard

Arcane
sekiro was fun but i'm just not about its story. less is more with miyzaki titles and i worry that Martin is going mean too much expository background and dialogue.

for most videogames, the more "plot" added means the less imagination the player gets to apply to the experience. it's funny but shutting the hell up is the best way for a game dev to get easy credit for 'world building.'
It's not funny, it's fucking depressing. Soulslorefags need to be gassed.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I just emphasized what the similarities between Soulsborne games and Sekiro are. Mechanically, they're different, but design wise, they're identical.

Afaik noone ever suggested the opposite. If there are people claiming "gaemz not similar at all coz combat different" then they're simply retarded and needn't to be paid any attention.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
I'm shocked we aren't discussing this more. Contrary to what you may hear from a vocal minority of dunces, the Codex adores Dark Souls.

A few key things that stand out to me:
  • Lore
    • Martin wrote all the lore. He created a universe populated with people that existed before the events of Elden Ring.
    • Miyazaki took this lore, and wrote a story within that universe. I can't imagine a better way to have these two collaborate.
    • The theme is "will, or ambition of mandkind"
  • ARPG systems
    • The game heavily emphasizes RPG elements a la Dark Souls, and is not a pure action game a la Seikiro.
    • Miyazaki is advertising (without any proof yet) that player characters have more opportunity for variety than in Dark Souls.
    • Lots of different weapons and magic.
  • "Open World" Design
    • Miyazaki is coy with his descriptions, but as I understand it: imagine Dark Souls, but add in vast landscapes between dungeons, populated with enemies that make use of that larger space, and an explorative element likely tied to understanding the lore more deeply.
    • Vertical environments.
    • Horse travel and mounted combat.
Some articles:

Villagkouras

Arcane
I'm pretty sure it will generate a lot of discussion and even praise, but now we have nothing to discuss, so we wait, fapping cautiously but with optimism.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
I'm pretty sure it will generate a lot of discussion and even praise, but now we have nothing to discuss, so we wait, fapping cautiously but with optimism.
We know more about Elden Ring than BGIII. Meanwhile, the BGIII thread has 208 pages of shitposting.

Dark Souls is an alright game but the absolute amount of decline it brought in general is absurd. The community around it and amount of casuals it brought in is the most fucking faggoty thing to ever happen to video games.
I think it's an excellent game. That aside, couldn't you say that popularity always heralds decline? I can't think of a single popular game that wasn't attended by masses of slobbering idiots. But this is a numbers game, and is more a proxy of "nerd culture" opposed to what a single game has culturally brought to to the table.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Popularity is one thing, but Skyrim and Mass Effect never brought in legions of self-righteous memelords who genuinely believed that they were gods gift to video games by being able to complete this video game successfully. Not to mention how criticism is shouted down with memes to defend the honor of m'lady dark souls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom