Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Here is a question - what is your guess, why don't we have any footage, or even any verbal description of the gameplay yet?
I don't live in Belgium and my name isn't Swen and surname isn't Vincke, so I can only guessing why exactly there is no gameplay revealed.
Hovewer, I have several theories about this and right now my main theory is plain and simple - they started to work on game only after E3 and did not produced anything yet.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...eplay-details-yet.127856/page-80#post-6166812
Nope. They've been spotted doing work on this way before.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Could be they want to reveal gameplay alongside the release of the Descent to Avernus module in September.

Could be they want to reveal gameplay at Gamescom, where they're less likely to be overshadowed by other games.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The rumor that they've been working on BG3 was spread quite a while ago, so no, they've been working on it for quite some time.

Why would they possibly hold back? Other companies have announced RPGs years before release and have been open about the gameplay. What makes Larian want to postpone revealing this?

Trying to garner new audience because they know the only people who are interested in BG3 at this time are fans of BG already, and they know the reveal of the combat system is going to cause a shitstorm on every forum, social media platform and YouTube video. In this context, the combat system might be TB and they are only hiding it because it isn't RTwP, but that's hilariously optimistic, and that's excluding the fans of TB they already have.
My own answer is that either Larian are feeling insecure about the community's reaction, as you say, or are feeling confident about it - like everyone will go super happy when they hear it's 3rd person action - but they are holding back on the reveal because they are aiming for maximum marketing/PR effect.

Whichever option it is though, is it safe to assume that the fact they are holding back means 3rd person action, as opposed to TB or RtwP? I think it is.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The rumor that they've been working on BG3 was spread quite a while ago, so no, they've been working on it for quite some time.

Yep, they said themselves 2 years. 2 years and they can't announce perspective/combat system?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, here's a theory which may well be incorrect, but a fun one.

Some people say Baldur's Gate III will surely be isometric, because it's Baldur's Gate, and because it's from Larian, it's what they know and it's what their Divinity audience is expecting.

Others are saying, no way is a game with a 300 man development team not a popamole action-RPG.

I say - why not both? There is one isometric game that undoubtedly had 300 developers and more - Diablo 3!

What if Larian are simply making a play for the Diablo audience? A story-driven top-down action-RPG with strong multiplayer support - a Divine Divinity for the next generation with a serious budget.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
They can, they just don't want to do it.

They can but they don't have the guts.

If they were going the way of the former screencapped quote, the hype would increase by an order of magnitude and be positively sustained. (It's dying off now, and it's getting negative/toxic on Steam, retardit and even Larian's forums).

If they were going the way of the latter, BG3 would be dead in the water. It would sink like an anvil. Believe me.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This thread is trying to match the level of dumb the game will reach or what?
Don't know about game (because we STILL don't have any footage of gameplay, ffs), but people here definitely compete with each others in "special" Olympics. I think it's safe to say that thread derailed completely at this point.
Here is a question - what is your guess, why don't we have any footage, or even any verbal description of the gameplay yet?

Everyone's feeling the hype generated by Larian.

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
What if Larian are simply making a play for the Diablo audience? A story-driven top-down action-RPG with strong multiplayer support - a Divine Divinity for the next generation with a serious budget.
I imagine that single player could be real-time with pause (RTwP) and multiplayer could be (faster paced) real-time, but going full Diablo or 'Hack & Slay' is pushing it way too far.

Side Note: I seriously doubt that a game with a AAA budget and 300+ developers could be turn-based, as it is too niche. Even JRPG developers are dropping turn-based combat.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Also, the greater community is overestimating the legacy of RTwP: this is an inferior combat system that needs to die outside of AD&D-based IEs.

Surely Larian, who are turn-based "connoiseurs", know that the RTwP crowd can be quelled/reeducated.

From day one I've said, BG3 should be turn-based because 5th Edition is turn-based, and TB is superior.

And this from someone who's published 130 write-ups on BG. So obviously I'm a veteran, but I know what a great combat system is (ToEE/Jagged Alliance 2).

So Larian are not waiting to announce either RTwP or TB: they are entertaining full realtime or TB. Or some awful combo/switch-between, like VATS.

pomenitul

Arbiter
I just get extremely triggered when Bulgarians claim literally foreigners with achievements to be Bulgarian, all the while we have perfectly good examples of Bulgarians with achievements who are actually Bulgarian. It's a pet peeve of mine. Another golden example I hate is the saints Cyril and Methodius.

Classic Eastern European inferiority complex. See also: all romance languages are derived from proto-Daco-Romanian. Or: human history began in the 12th century, with the 'Russian Horde'. I also recall a conversation I once had with a guy who was dead set on arguing that Jesus and Socrates were in fact Armenian. Then again, some Americans believe that the King James Version is the original Bible, because English is the language of God, so there's enough crazy to go around.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Who makes the best RPGs now though, be it indie middle or popamole? where are your last saviors from California? sold to Microsoft.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This whole Codexian infatuation with TB really shows a certain level of entitlement. It's like walking into a gay bar with your ass-cheeks exposed through those cowboy chaps (or whatever they're called) and then being suprised if you get fondled. In all honesty, if Larian keep it RTWP, manage 1/10 of the tone, 50% decent combat on the originals and a half-decent story...I'll probably buy it in a sale.

Feel free to pile on the retard tags - but every one counts as a butthurt one in reply, cause you know it's the best you can hope for. ;)

Shadenuat

Arcane
tbh I don't see why should we care if it's TB or not because there are many TB games now. I'd say TB games now outnumber RTwP games like 10:1.

I guess the only thing missing is pure D&D ToEE like with encounters which are actually good. But maybe Realms Beyond will be that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom