Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
After catching up with the last 10 pages I am struggling to see what most of it has to do with Baldur's Gate III.
Pretty sure arguing about D&D mechanics has a lot to do with a D&D video game adaptation

Sharpedge

Prophet
After catching up with the last 10 pages I am struggling to see what most of it has to do with Baldur's Gate III.
Pretty sure arguing about D&D mechanics has a lot to do with a D&D video game adaptation
Except we know at best the game will be based off of how Larian envisions the 5e rules and not the first edition rules, which is what you are arguing about.

Codex Year of the Donut
lefreut's Improved Record Screen
lefreut's Improved Inventory Screen

Codex will bitch about RTwP and then gobble up an unfinished buggy mess as long as it has a decent PnP implementation.

*khekingmakerkhe*
kangmaker is turn-based you pleb

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The actual effect of armor on a fight is a lot more complex than simple damage reduction. Most hits on a body part protected by armor will do no damage at all. This makes it harder for the attacker; there's no point in striking a location where your hit won't have any effect, so you hold back until there's an opening that lets you strike a vulnerable spot. This makes you less likely to hit your opponent in a given amount of time.
For the armored character it's the opposite. He has fewer vulnerable points to defend so can spend less effort on defense and thus focus more on offense, and he can also get away with using offensive maneuvers that would leave an unarmored character extremely vulnerable to a counterattack but that he doesn't have to worry about since he's only exposing body parts that are protected by armor.

You could of course make a CRPG that fully simulates the effect armor has on melee combat, but simply having dodge/parry chances based on skill and DEX + damage reduction form armor is probably less realistic than AC reducing the chance to be hit.

Just damage reduction would be nonsensical, more nonsensical than just chance to hit. However there is no need for that as we can have chance to hit and damage reduction in a computer game, so the level of abstraction can be done a bit better. You'll have situations where whatever the weapon, person is incapable of connecting a hit for whatever reason (block, parry, glance, dodge, miss) then once the hit connects, a sword and a mace would obviously do different types of damage. It is not possible to simulate this with just AC, as you'd have to give weapons like maces bonus thac0 which would turn quite nonsensical as well.

Damage reduction handles this best, as different types of weapons and armour can have different types of damage and damage reduction without making it too complicated at all with great intuitiveness. A mace would be (relatively) better against an armoured opponent when a hit connects while a sword would be (again relatively) better against an unarmoured person. There is simply no way to simulate this with just AC.

Corvinus

Arcane
if Larian keep it RTWP, manage 1/10 of the tone, 50% decent combat on the originals and a half-decent story...I'll probably buy it in a sale.

Boo! Hiss! That mindset is why nothing original comes out anymore, decline enabler!

1) Take an old, still popular game. Baldur's Gate.
2) Keep one defining feature from the original. RTwP.
3) Manage 1/10th of the tone. It's a game about wincest with your sister. :bounce:
4) Keep the same type of combat gameplay, but make it 50% worse, because you suck as a developer and have no experience with the source material anyway.
5) Remember the story from the original? It was decent at best. Make it the same, but 50% worse by including contemporary politics or something equally useless.

---

6) The consumer buys it anyway, albeit at a sale. The developer still makes enough money to be successful.
7) On to make the next game. We can sell those morons anything as long as we slap an old name on the crap we're making. Onward to point 1!

Codex Year of the Donut
if Larian keep it RTWP, manage 1/10 of the tone, 50% decent combat on the originals and a half-decent story...I'll probably buy it in a sale.

Boo! Hiss! That mindset is why nothing original comes out anymore, decline enabler!

3) Manage 1/10th of the tone. It's a game about wincest with your sister.
4) Keep the same type of combat gameplay, but make it 50% worse, because you suck as a developer and have no experience with the source material anyway.
5) Remember the story from the original? It was decent at best. Make it the same, but 50% worse by including contemporary politics or something equally useless.

---

6) The consumer buys it anyway, albeit at a sale. The developer still makes enough money to be successful.
7) On to make the next game. We can sell those morons anything as long as we slap an old name on the crap we're making. Onward to point 1!
leaked pillars of eternity design document

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
It's like walking into a gay bar with your ass-cheeks exposed through those cowboy chaps (or whatever they're called) and then being suprised if you get fondled. I
Talking from your own experience, eh? Good to know that Codex has professional gay bar connoisseur, if anybody EVER will want your opinion on such delicate matter - now they know person who will have all answers on their questions.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

3) Manage 1/10th of the tone. It's a game about wincest with your sister.

---

leaked pillars of eternity design document

Assuming I and everyone else wait until it's a few bob in a sale years ahead - how many millions would need to do the same for it to be a success? :P

This whole Codexian infatuation with TB really shows a certain level of entitlement. It's like walking into a gay bar with your ass-cheeks exposed through those cowboy chaps (or whatever they're called) and then being suprised if you get fondled. In all honesty, if Larian keep it RTWP, manage 1/10 of the tone, 50% decent combat on the originals and a half-decent story...I'll probably buy it in a sale.

Feel free to pile on the retard tags - but every one counts as a butthurt one in reply, cause you know it's the best you can hope for. ;)
Are you implying the originals had good combat? Jesus, how can people be this retarded?

Taking into account what is being produced today, with the exception of Kingmaker, and Larian at the helm; yes I would say BG has good combat and if Larian can get it half as good, it will raise my eyebrows. Manage thy expectations, doesn't mean accept decline.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Who makes the best RPGs now though, be it indie middle or popamole? where are your last saviors from California? sold to Microsoft.
If some guys from Eastern Europe made some nice games - it doesn't mean that every trash head hobo from Eastern Europe have anything to do with these games and have right to act like it was their achievement. Good games is result of years of patient work, not trash talking USA while living in more depressing shithole than Detroit.

*guy invented something*

Bunch of self-sucking faggots: "Yo this guy did a thing, that meant we are all cool. Suck it USA!"

*guy getting tired from oligarchic/communist/nazi regime (supported by retards mentioned above) and migrate in USA (to be oppressed by corporations, but they at least paying relatively well)*

Bunch of self-sucking faggots start deny everything, invent stupid conspiracy theories and trying to "damage control" situation until normal people stop poking them in their shit.

After some time, cycle starting again.

So no, Eastern Europe didn't produced any good RPG, developers that happen to be born ( I assume not by their wish) in region of our planet called Eastern Europe did. If they was born in another place on this cursed planet - we had same chances (very low) to get a normal rpg because all world is shit nowadays.

This shit getting embarrassing, stop being insecure and do something by yourself to be proud, stop stealing achievements of your countryman/race/nation/region.

FreeKaner

I just get extremely triggered when Bulgarians claim literally foreigners with achievements to be Bulgarian, all the while we have perfectly good examples of Bulgarians with achievements who are actually Bulgarian. It's a pet peeve of mine. Another golden example I hate is the saints Cyril and Methodius.

Classic Eastern European inferiority complex. See also: all romance languages are derived from proto-Daco-Romanian. Or: human history began in the 12th century, with the 'Russian Horde'. I also recall a conversation I once had with a guy who was dead set on arguing that Jesus and Socrates were in fact Armenian. Then again, some Americans believe that the King James Version is the original Bible, because English is the language of God, so there's enough crazy to go around.

Every single country in the Balkans is actually at least 12000 years old and older than all of their neighbours, whose lands belong to them because of this fact.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Every single country in the Balkans is actually at least 12000 years old and older than all of their neighbours, whose lands belong to them because of this fact.
I hate to break it for you, but countries in Balkans today have nothing in common with their predecessors 12000 ago. It's literary different countries by culture, borders, economics and etc.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I hate to break it for you, but countries in Balkans today have nothing in common with their predecessors 12000 ago. It's literary different countries by culture, borders, economics and etc.

participationtrophy.png
Participation Award post if I ever saw one.

FreeKaner

Your country was invented by a Serb, Nicola Tesla. Show some fucking respect.

Corvinus

Arcane
Assuming I and everyone else wait until it's a few bob in a sale years ahead - how many millions would need to do the same for it to be a success? :P

They need to earn more money than they spent, by a good margin. So plenty of people. But if everyone waits, there will be a bob very soon after release! The majority will not wait, however.

Taking into account what is being produced today, with the exception of Kingmaker, and Larian at the helm; yes I would say BG has good combat and if Larian can get it half as good, it will raise my eyebrows. Manage thy expectations, doesn't mean accept decline.

But if something equal is half as good, it has quite clearly declined from the source, and by buying it, the decline is accepted, yes?

FreeKaner

I just don't see how a game made by 300 people with huge funds meant to appeal to millions of different types of players can be better in terms of vision, coherence, design philosophy, aims etc. than a MMO. Even a good one.

FreeKaner

I just don't see how a game made by 300 people with huge funds meant to appeal to millions of different types of players can be better in terms of vision, coherence, design philosophy, aims etc. than a MMO. Even a good one.

How many people does it take to make a good game?

The more people you add to a project, the more automated and factorised it will end up being. It will become more about filling check boxes of marketing research and getting expected features. Especially because bigger the studio, more it costs to make a game and more people it needs to appeal to be profitable. When you are trying to appeal to more people you necessarily need to find more common denominators.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom