Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathologic 2 (AKA Pathologic remake)

34scell

Augur
I've seen a lot of people complaining about the time limit. How bad is it? Do you feel rushed the entire time?
Sort of. Time doesn't seem to pause in this game when it would in others. It seems time progresses even when you are trading, brewing, talking,etc. And there's not a lot of it in general, so you have to balance completing the story missions with scavenging for resources to keep yourself alive and fit for fight.

Are you sure it progresses while talking? That would literally make reading for losers.

Puteo

Learned
I've seen a lot of people complaining about the time limit. How bad is it? Do you feel rushed the entire time?
Sort of. Time doesn't seem to pause in this game when it would in others. It seems time progresses even when you are trading, brewing, talking,etc. And there's not a lot of it in general, so you have to balance completing the story missions with scavenging for resources to keep yourself alive and fit for fight.

Are you sure it progresses while talking? That would literally make reading for losers.

No, he's wrong. Time progresses when looting and brewing, but not when trading or talking. This is the same guy who thought dying gave you a permanently decreasing immunity bar ;)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

No, he's wrong. Time progresses when looting and brewing, but not when trading or talking. This is the same guy who thought dying gave you a permanently decreasing immunity bar ;)
Fake news, but also informative.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Any way to save Stakh Rubin? Dude dies after Inquisitor's arrival, and according to achievements list there is a way to finish the game with Lara, Stakh and Griff alive.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Any way to save Stakh Rubin? Dude dies after Inquisitor's arrival, and according to achievements list there is a way to finish the game with Lara, Stakh and Griff alive.

You need to have created the panacea before 7:30am on day 7. Also when you talk to him you have to encourage him but not sure if that is required.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I'm well past Day 8, and Stakh's death had a serious impact on the plot. Can't imagine what would've happened with him and panacea present.
Great c&c here.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Abattoir cave.
What the fuck is this shit?! I died like 10 times in a row.
It's like someone at IPL played Underrail and thought "let's make something like Deep Caverns, but a hundred times more bullshit".

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Well, since we're doing spoilers anyway:
During one of the nights 6, could be 5. You can find Stakh in the warehouses, but if you talk to him you get attacked by some of the mutant people. I didn't have enough bullets to kill them, and wound up losing, but I can't help but wonder what happens if you succeed. No reply if it means spoiling something I haven't seen yet please (I'm at Night 7 now)

Solfear

Novice
Well, since we're doing spoilers anyway:
During one of the nights 6, could be 5. You can find Stakh in the warehouses, but if you talk to him you get attacked by some of the mutant people. I didn't have enough bullets to kill them, and wound up losing, but I can't help but wonder what happens if you succeed. No reply if it means spoiling something I haven't seen yet please (I'm at Night 7 now)

I am not sure as I did not follow this path. I have seen the warehouse but I was running out of time for some more important matters. I am Day 8 now, and he is still alive for now. I have lost Notkin, Murky, one of the brothers and a girl I can't remember the name. That's all, for now. I am respected in almost all the neighbourhoods. And I have
two panacea and two schurtz??? if needed

Wunderbar

Arcane
A soldier shot me with his flamethrower and it cured my infection. Apparentely, this is an intended feature - fire cures plague.

Vatnik Wumao
I played the original and found it interesting but tedious becuase of the drab color scheme, slow walking speed, the need to grind for junk to trade for bullets and medicine and the need to grind for organs at night as the haruspex. I gritted my teeth and finished the game as the bachelor and haruspex before losing interest.

Does this remake at least make the game less grindy and more pleasant to play?

Wunderbar

Arcane
I played the original and found it interesting but tedious becuase of the drab color scheme, slow walking speed, the need to grind for junk to trade for bullets and medicine and the need to grind for organs at night as the haruspex. I gritted my teeth and finished the game as the bachelor and haruspex before losing interest.

hard to say.
Drab color scheme is the same. Devs tried to solve slow walking speed solved by adding sprint function and fast-travel option. Thing is, you can't sprint for long (not only because of stamina bar, but also because you get thirsty very fast and had to find some water), and fast travel is limited by a pretty rare consumable. The need for junk is worsened, because now junk items are much more useful - razors, whetstones, needles, springs, etc. - everything can be used not only for bartering, but also for equipment repair. I had no problem with medicine since you can brew it for yourself. Never grinded for organs too.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Abattoir cave.
It's like someone at IPL played Underrail and thought "let's make something like Deep Caverns, but a hundred times more bullshit".

you are going to the left where the herb brides are dancing with the plague after the first worm, right? the first worm you can easily sneak up on and hit 3-4 times with your first to kill him, after that go to where the herb brides are dancing and follow the path and the herb bride will give you a menkhu's finger (steppe scalpel) that you need anyways, and you can then use that to sneak up and shank the rest of the worms

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik

You don't need to grind for anything, khatangar. Failure is always an option. You can also just loot as you make your way from where you are to where you want to go. The bartering economy is much better in this version.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Abattoir cave.

you are going to the left where the herb brides are dancing with the plague after the first worm, right? the first worm you can easily sneak up on and hit 3-4 times with your first to kill him, after that go to where the herb brides are dancing and follow the path and the herb bride will give you a menkhu's finger (steppe scalpel) that you need anyways, and you can then use that to sneak up and shank the rest of the worms
yes, i did it the intended way. Still frustrating, especially because the cave is linear and if you alert one of the worms, you had to run all the way back for them to stop chasing you.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Completed this bad boy. Took me whopping 40 hours of blissful misery on default difficulty with 17 deaths and "night" ending.

Liked it a lot, I'd even say that it's superior to original in almost every way (aside from obvious absence of Bachelor and Changeling campaigns). Navigation, inventory management, mind map instead of typical journal, survival mechanics, tinctures brewing - everything was massively improved. While plot is roughly the same, the individual side quests and lore were significantly expanded.

Wasn't a big fan of death penalty: even though at the end it turned out to be a non-issue, things like that could scare away newer players.

9/10, i'm already itching for a second playthrough so i could use my meta knowledge to try to do every side quest and save everyone.

tWcVwOY.jpg

MYGMiQp.jpg

Ysu9FO3.jpg

W2hzQrz.jpg

OGyBlFA.jpg

QIoxREC.jpg

cEDjzmk.jpg

QDPEWFY.jpg

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
And Ice Pick Lodge caved and put in difficulty sliders for the casuals and game journalists.. and did any of the game journalists whining about difficulty go and amend their review or at least just put a note saying there are difficulty sliders now? No. No they didn't.

This is why you shouldn't try to placate journalists, it will change absolutely nothing and just make you look like a bitch.

Puteo

Learned
This is why you shouldn't try to placate journalists, it will change absolutely nothing and just make you look like a bitch.

Meh, journalists are shit but I don't blame anyone for trying to make money. A little bit of dev work to expose some backend variables in a gui is a small price to pay if it might get you positive PR.

People can feel free to enjoy all the watered-down experiences they want if it means more Ice Pick Lodge games get made for me to play.

Really they should have had this done before release. Dusk (a thoroughly mediocre game, but I digress) did this to an amusing amount of success. They have 5 difficulty levels but it defaulted to the absolute lowest. Look what happened to it in reviews, the prorevs absolutely loved it. Hilarious and I doubt that it was a coincidence.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Finished the game. Was a very enjoyable, but stressful experience. I both do and don't look forward to returning as the Bachelor.

Looking at the achievements, there are some things I missed, including at least one ending.

11 named characters died in my playthrough. Could have been less, could have been more. Got really lucky with rng in beginning, no one died. But then last 2-3 days, I failed so many 50% rolls. The sand pest giveth, and the sand pest taketh.

Losing notkin on the first night was especially brutal.
I'm also upset about not being able to protect ruben from the odonghs. Should have treated my trust knife better.
I also never found a tier 2 cloak, so I never got to upgrade my inventory capacity to max either.

Last edited:

Solid Snail

Learned
Anyone with a savefile for days 11 night in which you can get the best ending? I screwed myself with a certain NPC and now
I won't be able to achieve any of the two good endings, just the bad one...considering I tried to save almost everyone, it burns a lot, even because the game is stressfull, I'm dying a lot and I don't plan to replay it at all. My whole game feels like miserable.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Anyone with a savefile for days 11 night in which you can get the best ending? I screwed myself with a certain NPC and now
I won't be able to achieve any of the two good endings, just the bad one...considering I tried to save almost everyone, it burns a lot, even because the game is stressfull, I'm dying a lot and I don't plan to replay it at all. My whole game feels like miserable.
It seems like it would go against the spirit of the game to let you escape the consequences of your actions so easily.
what did you do?

Solid Snail

Learned
It seems like it would go against the spirit of the game to let you escape the consequences of your actions so easily.
what did you do?
Died seven times, a character offered me to take away all the malus I had, I accepted, later I googled about it and the catch is I'm stuck with the bad ending: when day 12 arrives, no matter what, you'll get the worst possible outcome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom