Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Ball Z Kakarot, holy shit finaly DBZ RPG after years of waiting

Beastro

Arcane
A DBZ RPG?

And I thought the cutscenes in Xenogears were too long and too frequent.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It'll just be all cgi cutscenes with few "choices" and run the entire saga like the anime. The choices will be with the narrators voice from said anime.

Tytus

Arcane
Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiya Densetsu still being the best Dragonball RPG

Yeah this is the only DBZ RPG up to date in which you can change the story of Freezer Saga.
I mean if you played well enough, you could make all of the Z-Warriors survive battle against Nappa and Vegeta, take them all to Namek. Power them up through Saichoro and make them so strong that Chaozu the weakest warrior in the party has higher power level than first form Freezer.

I still remember the satisfaction I got from seeing Freezer at 530 000 units and Chaozu at around 650 000. You could also for example make Piccolo stronger than 50% fourth form Freezer.
And in reward the game threw at you a secret boss at the end - SSJ Vegeta.

I am still waiting for a DBZ RPG which will actually let me change "history" like that rather than just reenact scenes form the anime.

Last edited:

Silentstorm

Learned
Or at least something like a Xenoverse RPG, after all, Xenoverse has it's own villains and does some what-ifs that aren't taken advantage of due to being a fighting game, a RPG about time-travel and alternate timelines though?

That could be pretty damn cool if done correctly, Goku against evil Kakaroto, Cell with the dna of other beings like Buu added to it and etc.

Hell, Dragon Ball Super introduced other universes, even the one most similar to the one we follow in DB has it's own saiyans, it's own Freeza-like character and Hit, you could make a RPG all about Goku and his friends going after multiversal threats or just travelling through the multiverse, you really don't need to just do the same story again and again, but i guess that's what they think all fans want.

mogwaimon

Magister
I would like to think that a DBZ RPG can do things in ways that a fighter can't but I'm a little chuffed that they're calling it DBZ: Kakarot like it's Goku's life story and leaving out Dragon Ball. Man, they always leave out Dragon Ball.

Nirvash

Liturgist
I would like to think that a DBZ RPG can do things in ways that a fighter can't but I'm a little chuffed that they're calling it DBZ: Kakarot like it's Goku's life story and leaving out Dragon Ball. Man, they always leave out Dragon Ball.

Kid goku got alot of jrpg on nintendo handhelds. (well, most anime rpg are on handhelds)

jungl

Augur
best dragonball game is legacy of goku 2. Why? because it does not follow the story arcs of the tv show. Game starts off with gohan fighting frieza in backyard in the woods behind his house lol then next thing you know you fighting the red ribbon army. Its goofy but the best dragon ball rpg games are designed fan fiction then strictly following the story arcs. If someone wanted to they could probably make a dragonball game in rpgmaker that better then everything released to date.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was just reading

So that should be a game eh? What if Nappa was sent to earth? What if baby Frieza Sold ce cream and was a swell guy? What if Yamcha became god of destruction? What if Bulma was bitchier? And of course what if Gohan never learned to dodge?

Tytus

Arcane
I was just reading

So that should be a game eh? What if Nappa was sent to earth? What if baby Frieza Sold ce cream and was a swell guy? What if Yamcha became god of destruction? What if Bulma was bitchier? And of course what if Gohan never learned to dodge?

Yes I want a game, where Yamcha became a God of Destruction and had a foursome with Chichi, Bulma and C-18.

But in all seriousness. This kind of variation would not be viable. But I wish that an DBZ RPG would either come up with its own original storyline like Sailor Moon RPG from the Snes or give me the possibility change history in some way. For example let's say you're playing the Cell Saga - and the game has mechanics for character development. It would cool to get Piccolo so strong that he is able to defeat C-17, so that C-16 has to step in to save him as "secret" additional boss fight. You still have the same conslusion of Cell beating them both. But as a player you feel you achieved something, you change the story but the overall plot is still intact.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I better stock up... i don't want to be exhausted when and if this comes out.
kamehamehos-senzu-bean-cereal-dbz.jpg

Silentstorm

Learned
Wonder if this game will get any crossover costume or element like some past games, probably something related to One Piece or Naruto even if that last one is over.

Anyways, i hope this goes for a Legacy Of Goku or Attack Of The Saiyans thing and has it's own filler stories and arcs to do in between the actual plot of the series in order to make it less boring.

The Decline

Arcane
Attack of the Saiyans was cool because a lot of the filler was callbacks to characters and places from Dragon Ball. Damn shame there was no sequel.

Silentstorm

Learned
Maybe it didn't sell well or they just didn't know what to do for the Freeza saga?

Anyways, still hoping this sells, mostly because i want to see if this leads to other Shounen getting a big budget RPG or if Shounen Jump finally gets a crossover RPG game.

Silentstorm

Learned
I wonder how Kenshiro would fair?
Nerfed because it would be too easy if he could blow up any foe with one move, and i doubt they would keep it really gorey, though i would laugh if they censored it in the same style as the old anime.

More curious about some other series like Gintama, how the characters and the setting would be treated in a RPG, since that series is kinda wacky, oh, and since Kinnikuman recently came back for a special chapter celebrating it's anniversary this very month, i wonder if the very first shounen with superpowers, tournament arcs and concepts like power levels would have a chance to be in, if it could be, i sure hope one would be able to do more than the normal Kinniku Buster:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Footage in the background, basicaly its the witcher or gothic as DBZ

Silentstorm

Learned
Holy shit, Android 8!?

I wasn't expecting that, and you can fish and do other activities as well, i am guessing they really are going for more of a RPG feel, also, it seems the fights follow a more Xenoverse style than anything else.

Question, how far does this game go to?

I know there are screenshots of Namek and Frieza, so it goes up to Goku becoming a Super Saiyan at least, but is that where it ends?

Wouldn't mind if that was the case, Android 8's appearance, Launch being a NPC and the confirmation this will have new sidequests or events for characters makes me think this is a much bigger Attack Of The Saiyans kind of sucessor which goes one arc further than the Saiyan Saga at the very least and i freaking love that idea.

Plus, if they stop at Frieza, it does give them material for sequels if this game sells well, and considering how popular Dragon Ball is and this trailer, i am pretty sure this game will sell.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I wish the combat was also RPG based rather than a fighter type game, but i guess it's good enough with the overall concept of rpg.

Silentstorm

Learned
I just hope there aren't many random fights or that enemies have less HP at least, a fighting game battle system for a RPG just seems like something that will get tiresome, and it's even worse because the system isn't a Street Fighter one, there are huge areas where enemies can fly around or easily dodge beams if the AI is good enough, that just makes me worry that battles will be too long and not fun enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom