Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
man fuck this blue skull :roll:
Glitterdust, Remove Fear
don't have either i think
had to consume all alchemist fire and acid bottles, most of the charges of a wand of true strike and a couple of electric resistance scroll

Kind of a shame to burn a True Strike wand on that prankster.

... Unless you use Craft Items mod, I suppose.
Went blind, no mods no builds, only put some portraits
Barely know Pathfinder too
Why they're hard to come by?

Without mods, yes. You might get another one from the Arcane vendor eventually (not sure). But most wands in the vanilla game are a one shot affair.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Bros, whats a current status of this game? i didnt play it at all and im thinking if now is a time to pick it up or i should wait more?

thanx in advance
it's ok.
Did the loading screen galore get any better?
It actually did, yeah. You can travel direct from throne to world map now, and loading in the kingdom dev map or building is much faster after an initial load (basically, it stores more in memory now, though you can turn that off if you simply don't have the ram). That's one of the things they absolutely fixed for sure

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There seems to be some good mods. Anyone up for making an "essential" mods thread or something similar. If such a thread already exists, could a friendly soul point me in the right direction?

Morkar seems to have listed a few mods that I am likely to use.

Codex Year of the Donut
There seems to be some good mods. Anyone up for making an "essential" mods thread or something similar. If such a thread already exists, could a friendly soul point me in the right direction?

Morkar seems to have listed a few mods that I am likely to use.
turn-based combat
respec(if you plan on using it -- ingame respec erases learned spells from casters that learn from scrolls)
fast travel(out of combat movement speed is SLOW, ain't nobody got time for that)
Highlight Learnable Scrolls
Kingdom Resolution(even if you don't plan on using its main features it has a few features in its options not listed that may be of interest to you)
Visual Adjustments(large polymorphs have shit pathing, collider increase on legendary proportions takes up a massive part of the screen and makes it difficult to click things)
bag of tricks(does a lot of things, worth installing because you'll probably eventually want to use stuff from it)

Codex Year of the Donut
Alright fine I've slain Armag and assumed sovereign crown of king (I guess that makes Linzi the Pathfinder Kingmaker)
maybe now I will be given some respite to, you know, explore shit, maybe work on my kangdom stats, etc.
without yet another dreadful fucking cataclysmic event causing my chill to be interrupted abruptly to drag me through yet another dungeon full of level drain lol
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/death-ward/

Codex Year of the Donut
there's no way to predict that the first two mobs who ambush you in Armag's Tomb are level-draining wraiths and I'm not about to reload like a fucking bitch just because they got me once
I used Death Ward henceforth until it depleted (luckily the level drain isn't permanent there, just a 24h thing, so Restoration works just fine)
Death ward is one of those buffs I kept up as much as possible on my two melee

Codex Year of the Donut
What's everyone's thoughts on fatigue/exhaustion?
I disliked it because it promoted rest spam in-between areas and didn't really add anything interesting.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I disliked it because it promoted rest spam in-between areas and didn't really add anything interesting.
one of many pointless busywork sources in the game. especially annoying since octavia always gets tired earlier than everyone else, something you can't do anything about except by resting even more

Shadenuat

Arcane
After horrific rape by LEGIONS of super golden/autumn golems turning half of the party into dogs every fight, I got to 50 level of Unfair random dungeon. And... starting level 40 or so game ran out of golems and began throwing 10hd goblins and werewolves on me. I think I broke the whole thing. Seen some elementals later but those are ez too.

The only thing I found to damage these particular golems was greater shout with at sneak, in my party anyway. blade barrier? immune. hellfire ray? immune. stormbolts? immune. acid - not immune, but I couldn't do enough damage with acid blast. probably a fodder for alchemist tho. also plant golems are immune to hellfire ray wtf

also here's a funny spoiler about bosses
There is only one fallen hero per run. Each fallen hero has four unique books for a total of 16 books -- once you find the book set for one of the fallen heroes, then they drop item(s) when killed. There are five items total for the bosses <the Weary Traveler (level 15), Fallen Priestess (level 20), Wicked Chanter (level 25) and Captor/Captee (level 30)>. Once you finally have all the items in place, you can face the final spawn boss by talking to the Xelliren the Dragon. Book drops are rare, maybe 1 or 2 per journey. You can keep going to find more books or greater boons, even though you might defeat the fallen hero on level 15.

if you thought grinding maps in path of exile was hard, er u go.

the final top damage dealer of the party,

Thug 1/Fey Sorc/AT
Rogue 1/Saint 9/Duelist 10
20 Flamewarden Ranger
20 Mad Dog Barbarian
20 Sun/Glory Cleric

was Barbarian. Who played 99% of the playthrough with +1 bardiche which I casted Holy Sword on later because I never found Bardiche better until level 45 or so where I found Rod of Razors.

Thug/Fey Sorc/AT was fun (level 9 enchant spell is strong)
Saint was ok
Flamewarden is garbage class, wrote many F11s playing it. Died 700 times before found blur ring and gyronna amulet on like level 40.
Cleric was ok, +2 damage/level against undead helped early.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Alright fine I've slain Armag and assumed sovereign crown of king (I guess that makes Linzi the Pathfinder Kingmaker)
maybe now I will be given some respite to, you know, explore shit, maybe work on my kangdom stats, etc.
without yet another dreadful fucking cataclysmic event causing my chill to be interrupted abruptly to drag me through yet another dungeon full of level drain lol
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/death-ward/

Certain enemies will straight up ignore death ward, like Soul Eaters.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
one of many pointless busywork sources in the game. especially annoying since octavia always gets tired earlier than everyone else, something you can't do anything about except by resting even more
Lesser restoration removes fatigue, as do certain God abilities. It's not ideal but you do have options to keep your party going if need be.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
there's no way to predict that the first two mobs who ambush you in Armag's Tomb are level-draining wraiths and I'm not about to reload like a fucking bitch just because they got me once
I used Death Ward henceforth until it depleted (luckily the level drain isn't permanent there, just a 24h thing, so Restoration works just fine)

Depends on source of level drain, I believe. There are Permanent Level & Stat Drains also.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Despite reservations about an already combat heavy game becoming more tedious and fights lasting forever, I decided to give the Turn Based mod a try.

Oh my, what a change!
I actually use way more abilities now. Octavia isn't a buff-bot anymore, that only blasts bosses, her Surprise Chain Lightning is quickly becoming my new favorite spell (although I realize it won't help end-game).
CC is also easier to aim correctly now, if need be.
My Valerie the Kinetic Knight finally has opportunities to position herself correctly, do aoe Bowling Whirlwind... and cause the destruction of every enemy in range with AoOs from Legendary Proportion'ed MainChar and Amiri in range.
Lastly my Large Bastard Sword Saint finally has opportunities to use Vital Strike. Real time it was practically useless, barring a precious few select strongest boss fights maybe (with TrueStrike), but turn-based there are more opportunities (or rather situations when I'm forced to) to move & attack.

I also make much more conscious decisions regarding target selection now (particularly for ranged attackers), rather then let the combat play itself.

The Fast Travel mod allows for quick action and animation speed, so it's pretty great together... and it's like a brand new game.
I love it!

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Octavia isn't a buff-bot anymore
:hmmm:

Why would you make things easier and do this to poor AI?

Poor thing can't even change weapons midcombat and shoots bows at random enemies eating AOOs from whole party.
And that's not touching the question of difficulty - or high end difficulties enemies have initiative +10 on like level 1 regardless of their type.

The only approved mod first of its name: https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/103
which I want.

still won't install any mods since patches come out every week.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, the AI really can't keep up.

I play on Hard and I'm tempted to switch to Unfair... then again I might need to start caring about AC on my other party members then.. and them not being unexpectedly gibbed by random fire (with double damage).
Hard is more... comfortable. But turn based might also be way too easy.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
If you used Octavia as a buff-bot to begin with, you sucked ass.

On an unrelated note, what's the verdict on the last two DLCs (Varnhold's Lot & Beneath the Stolen Lands) and the "Enhanced Edition" as a whole? I've finally actually finished Wasteland 2: Definite Console, and I've been really wanting to get back to PF:K, but I also don't want to play it without Varnhold's Lot/Beneath the Stolen Lands, for the whole "finished game" deal, but I also can't afford them. I could just pirate them, but then it's going to be a hassle to patch (and I can't even find a recent/patched upload). Might just have to wait until after Summer/towards Christmas.

Should I just bite the bullet and play anyway? It goes against every fiber of my being.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What this thread tells me is that PF:K needs an SCS-like mod.

Should I just bite the bullet and play anyway? It goes against every fiber of my being.

These DLCs aren't a part of the main game, at least not directly, so there's no loss of completeness.

Shadenuat

Arcane
On an unrelated note, what's the verdict on the last two DLCs (Varnhold's Lot & Beneath the Stolen Lands) and the "Enhanced Edition" as a whole?
Varnholds Lot has best dungeon in the game and closest to us getting great megadungeon BG2 style. It is actually harder than main game throughout, with tight encounter design from level 3(4?) to 12. (best levels of adventure in D&D as we all know)

Rogue dungeon is fun for running parties through it but if you don't care for killing random monsters in copypasted rooms with random chests don't bother. However in main campaign you can play it sorta like megadungeon and fight all bosses and superboss which by things I heard was made by same joker who did tactics bodhi or tactics faldorn and has millions of hp.

What this thread tells me is that PF:K needs an SCS-like mod.
Yes
Or as I would call it for a treatment needed for this game, Wizards Tactica or Mage Duels :obviously: mod where encounters would have more spellcasters instead of olwbears who would autoprebuff and support allies and nuke your party in an intelligent way.

Owlcats: instructions unclear, added stratagems level owlbear spellcasters into game.

Codex Year of the Donut
If you used Octavia as a buff-bot to begin with, you sucked ass.

On an unrelated note, what's the verdict on the last two DLCs (Varnhold's Lot & Beneath the Stolen Lands) and the "Enhanced Edition" as a whole? I've finally actually finished Wasteland 2: Definite Console, and I've been really wanting to get back to PF:K, but I also don't want to play it without Varnhold's Lot/Beneath the Stolen Lands, for the whole "finished game" deal, but I also can't afford them. I could just pirate them, but then it's going to be a hassle to patch (and I can't even find a recent/patched upload). Might just have to wait until after Summer/towards Christmas.

Varnhold's Lot is short but I thought it was good.
Min/max your character & companions because the fights can be pretty rough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom