Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Fallout 3 will be Straighter and More Plausible

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Fallout 3

Long-time RPG scribe <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=20918" target="blank">Desslock</a> was interviewed over at <a href="http://planetfallout.gamespy.com/articles/features/163/Interview-With-Desslock" target="blank">Planet Fallout</a> on how <b>Fallout 3</b> has turned out.
<br>
<blockquote>PF:And the atmosphere, is it really dark? Less space for humor this time, as Bethsoft seems to imply in their interviews?
<br>
<br>
Desslock: Definitely less humor, and the setting is darker. It’s still Fallout, and there’s some goofiness like the rock-it launcher, but for the most part it’s played straighter. Bethesda’s strength has always been world-building, and this is the first Fallout where the world/setting actually seems remotely plausible as well – you learn more about the pre-war culture, the actual war and the Chinese opponents, the different Fallout factions are all well development and interesting, etc.</blockquote>

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What? Less humour and it's darker? What about Todd's DARK HUMOUR?

Data4

Arcane
Yeah, Dessy. Swallow that shit. Yeah, you know you like it. You're a dirty whore aren't you? *ass smack* That's right, swallow that cum bitch. Swallow it. Are you Petey's little slut, huh? *smack*

Drakron

Arcane
Desslock was a whore back when I registered to I could bitch about things ... I see war is not the only thing that never changes.

tanjo

Novice
I think RPG Codex should just stop posting news articles about shit like F3, sort of how RPGC handles MMO's. F3 is not an RPG.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Has he been hired as some sort of preposterously obvious shill or is that really just a fan site interviewing another fan? It comes across as very self important. What's wrong with simply writing an article.

-edited for retarded grammar.

Data4

Arcane
Bluebottle said:
Has he been hired as some sort of preposterously obvious shill or is that really just a fan site just interviewing another fan? It comes across as very self important. What's wrong with simply writing an article.

Desslock used to be a somewhat decent reviewer, but some time between Morrowind and Oblivion, he must have come down with an acute case of dumbfuckery.

Longshanks

Augur
"Playing it straight" is a massive negative for the game, considering the shit-load of idiocy it contains. It's impossible to take it seriously.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Data4 said:
Bluebottle said:
Has he been hired as some sort of preposterously obvious shill or is that really just a fan site just interviewing another fan? It comes across as very self important. What's wrong with simply writing an article.

Desslock used to be a somewhat decent reviewer, but some time between Morrowind and Oblivion, he must have come down with an acute case of dumbfuckery.
Or he got invited to a preview at a luxurious hotel and learned that massaging Bethesda's cock passionately brings such things.

Grifman

Liturgist
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Data4 said:
Bluebottle said:

Or he got invited to a preview at a luxurious hotel and learned that massaging Bethesda's cock passionately brings such things.

He's said he doesn't review games in those circumstances.

He just likes Bethesda way too much for his own good. Maybe he's got friends there, maybe their games just scratch all the right itches for him. That's fine. People have biases and tastes. It's just that this guy is in some position where acting like a GameFAQs fanboy is a little objectionable...at least in the eyes of the public.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
So, what was so implausible about the setting as portrayed in the other core series entries? Sure, they went a little overboard with the level of reconstruction in Fallout 2, but the world of the first game is damn well conceived.

I used to like Desslock quite a bit. His reviews were usually solid and I often found myself agreeing with him. His articles in PC Gamer used to be quite good as well and he would often go out of his way to draw attention to titles that had slipped through the cracks of the mainstream gaming press. Lately though, he just comes off as a company whore and the "currently playing" list that accompanies his PCG articles usually consists of sub-par shooters and console games.

It's really quite disheartening to read this interview and see him being so pleased about it. I was kind of hoping that somebody who rated the old games so highly would at least be able to see the glaring flaws in this product.

Relayer71

Liturgist
DarkUnderlord said:

Let's be fair now, in the same post he also said this (in fact, right after the above):

"But I definitely wish we'd had more of Troika/Black Isle's Fallout series - those games were awesome, and it's a drag they went out of business."

Hey, it's one man's opinion. As someone said above, Oblivion probably scratched all the man's itches (lol).[/b]

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Mister Arkham said:
So, what was so implausible about the setting as portrayed in the other core series entries? Sure, they went a little overboard with the level of reconstruction in Fallout 2, but the world of the first game is damn well conceived.

Interesting bit is how Fallout 3, where its designers claim wooden structures do not decay because Science! commands them to stand there, is plausible.

denizsi

Arcane
It's also the same Desslock who.. well I better quote myself from 2007.

denizsi said:
He's also the one who paid a visit to Beth HQ shortly after or before Oblivion's release, and then came to spread meaningless and misleading impressions, where he supposedly witnessed early FO3 development and he knew whether the game would be iso + TB, but when asked with a straight face, he could only say "you'll be surprised". Quite the weasel.

Rosh

Erudite
denizsi said:
It's also the same Desslock who.. well I better quote myself from 2007.

denizsi said:
He's also the one who paid a visit to Beth HQ shortly after or before Oblivion's release, and then came to spread meaningless and misleading impressions, where he supposedly witnessed early FO3 development and he knew whether the game would be iso + TB, but when asked with a straight face, he could only say "you'll be surprised". Quite the weasel.

Oblivion with guns. Was anyone else surprised after four years of them trying to deny otherwise, then openly admitting as much?

Oh, so it was only Desshlock. Good to know the X-Brick morons have a good spokesman as Bethesda's target audience. Desshlock makes a good PR whore, but is otherwise useless.

Bethesda Knobgoblin said:
Desslock: Definitely less humor, and the setting is darker.

This may be due to Desshlock only remembering Fallout 2. Fallout 1 was darkly ironic, to the point where an item that destroyed the world (a nuke) was used to stop the post-nuclear world's destruction by something that was initially designed to save the pre-post-nuclear world (FEV). The humor was sparse, situational, and not as Cherry 2000 as Fallout 2 and FOT or as Tim and Eric's Fuckwit Show of F:POS.

Corporate Whore said:
It’s still Fallout, and there’s some goofiness like the rock-it launcher, but for the most part it’s played straighter.

Let's also not forget Peter Hiney's favorite part of the press demo, "Local Cult". You know that bit o' genius just had to make it into the core game if the nuke-launching catapult did. And the modern military jarhead clichés.

I suck Bethesda cock said:
Bethesda’s strength has always been world-building,

Soil erosion studies for the win, baby!

Kneepads were given at the Bethesduh orifice said:
and this is the first Fallout where the world/setting actually seems remotely plausible as well

Mind you , this is the same Desshlock that spent several years up MCA's ass. He also supposedly still has a summer home there.

Some waste of taxpayer money said:
- you learn more about the pre-war culture, the actual war and the Chinese opponents, the different Fallout factions are all well development and interesting, etc.

Which already existed in several tidbits, but it'll be "interesting" to see how the Bethesduh morons fool the X-Brick cattle with their retchconning.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I only hope further news coverage on FO3 would only find its place as part of a hilarious 'let's play' thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom