Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Lemming42

Arcane
Thread for stating your unpopular gaming opinions, and then having everyone else absolutely savage you over them.

The blackjack ruins Thief. The guards are so stupid that running around the map KOing everyone is a trivially easy task, and players who rely on the blackjack miss out on the best elements of the game. I don't really know how they could have improved on this, other than having guards wake up after a set time which would have probably just become tedious very quickly, but the perma-knockout blackjack is still stupid as fuck.

Metal Gear Solid is shit. All of them, from MGS1. And they generally get worse as they go on.

Most otherwise great DOS-era RPGs are held back by inexplicably stupid user interfaces, and would be improved if remade with streamlined interfaces and controls.

Weapon and armour durability/breakability is stupid and exists only to waste the player's time. No exceptions that I can think of. One of many mechanics that people seem to think is "hardcore" or "challenging" when they actually just mean "annoying".

The infinity engine is an absolute travesty. The best infinity engine games succeed in spite of it.

System Shock 1 is a far better game than System Shock 2.

Literally every card game except MtG is just a worse version of MtG.

Add your own.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Weapon and armour durability/breakability is stupid and exists only to waste the player's time. No exceptions that I can think of. One of many mechanics that people seem to think is "hardcore" or "challenging" when they actually just mean "annoying".
there is a way to make durability work.
In Dark Souls 2, your equipment automatically fixes itself after you hit a checkpoint, but only if it's not entirely broken. Because of that, player is incentivized to have a back-up weapon so he could switch to it once the primary is at risk.
Entirely broken equipment can be repaired at the blacksmith.

Beastro

Arcane
The blackjack ruins Thief. The guards are so stupid that running around the map KOing everyone is a trivially easy task, and players who rely on the blackjack miss out on the best elements of the game. I don't really know how they could have improved on this, other than having guards wake up after a set time which would have probably just become tedious very quickly, but the perma-knockout blackjack is still stupid as fuck.

I don't see how this would be an unpopular opinion. I thought a good amount of the Thief community loved to ghost and only ghost.

The problem is it needs to be put in a better context similar to how no one complains about ammunition for firearms, which is fundamentally the same mechanic. Take the differences between Countdown to Doomsday for for computer and Genesis, the lack of ammo in the latter changes the gameplay a lot, you simply collect more and more powerful guns and dump the rest. For computer it's wise to keep a few junk guns around to use for fodder encounters and save the big ones for when they matter, especially the rocket and plasma cannons which become situational weapons for hard, massed encounters compared to on the Genesis where you upgrade everyone and just spam them like mad in the end game.

If durability had more situational application like that I could see it working. IIRC isn't that what Kingdom Comes mechanics around equipping armour are like? I'm not sure if you can get lesser kinds to use and have to pick when to go in fully suited up, I haven't played it.

Metal Gear Solid is shit. All of them, from MGS1. And they generally get worse as they go on.

I found its stealth odd after Tenchu. I went into it expecting a "freeform" style of stealth only to run into the weird demands of it to hug walls and to behave certain ways to not be spotted or to trigger alarms (I forget much of it, haven't played it since 98). After renting it I never had the desire to take a look at the others.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
- The only good Witcher is the first one
- The only good Dragon Age is the first one
- The only good Mass Effect is the first one
- Dark Souls is not an RPG
- Larian never made a good game
- Piranha Bytes never made an exceptionally good game

Homeworld 2 is better than Honeworld 1. Cataclysm is better than either.

Final Fantasy 12 is the best Final Fantasy.

Company of Heroes is the best RTS ever made.

Japanese RPGs are better than Western ones because of emotional investment. Torment is the exception that proves the rule.

Pillars 1 is better than Pillars 2.

Lemming42

Arcane
I love you madly.

:love:

I Liked Fallout 3.

How do you make it through life with severe retardation?

Zep--

This post really speaks for itself. Unbelievable.

If it makes you feel any better, I still agree with p much every word of Vault Dweller's Fo3 review from 2008, which I think means I like it better than 90% of the Codex

Oblivion is better than Morrowind. Skyrim is better than Oblivion. (Though all three are crappy games).

Interested in hearing more about this. I do think that Morrowind has a lot more in common with Oblivion and Skyrim than some people would like to admit, and I think the argument could be made that Skyrim is the best game of the three (though Morrowind very clearly has vastly better writing and representation of the setting/lore by far) but I don't know how anyone could find Oblivion better than Morrowind.

Codex Year of the Donut
direct pnp adaptations to video games are stupid, the rules are simplified for a tabletop setting and blindly adapting simplified rules to a digital medium is pants on head retarded

CyberModuled

Arbiter
-The only good thing to ever come out of the Cold Steel games was Durante being able to flex his skills at PC porting and make his own porting company (hell, fuck modern Falcom in general outside of Ys since they're at least fun to play).
-New Vegas and Bloodlines 1 should be held up as gold standards on how to do FPS/RPG shooting right stat wise while the guns are able to still feel punchy.
-Aside from how obtuse stealth takedowns with the baton are, the original Dude Sex had better stealth mechanics than all the later games.
-Timesplitters is the only good console centric FPS.

Japanese RPGs are better than Western ones because of emotional investment. Torment is the exception that proves the rule.
I was about to agree until I realized your avatar pic is literally the character

who's character development boils down to Zin telling him that their master had terminal 7 brain cancer who would've died regardless of the fight he has with him (and even Falcom's aware of how shit his character is that he's never been brought back despite SC's implications that he's still alive).

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Let the triggering commence!! Sure you snowflakes can handle this?

- KOTOR - boring, one of the early harbingers of the decline.

- I never played a Zelda game because I am PC master race, and I don't trust Zelda fans enough to go out of my way to try it.

- GTA series was more fun when it was 2d. San Andreas was great though, but all the others are crap.

- Planescape: Torment - If it was like other games I would leave it be, but you all have it as the top game in that tragic codex list! Not acceptable. If you love stories and quirky characters, that's fine, but the number 1 RPG needs to have a hell of a lot more than just the story, and this game does not.

- New Vegas is not bad but I didn't enjoy it at all. Better than Fallout 3 sure, but that's not saying much. As a shooter it just seems tame and dumb compared to say Stalker which had better AI and better gunplay. As an RPG, it just doesn't have any way near enough depth, and VATS was a half baked idea. It might not be made by Bethesda but it still has their decline stink all over it.

- Diablo/clones are mindless and boring to me. I don't judge people who play them though. I play mindless games too when I'm too tired to play something proper, but I can't get into those kleptomaniac loot games. There needs to be at least something else to motivate me. If the combat was really good, that would probably be enough, but it always disappoints. (Never tried Diablo 3 though). The talent tree thing in Path of Exile got me excited, but it is pointless when it amounts to nothing but running around pressing a couple of buttons and everything explodes.

- I just can't do JRPGs. The cutesy characters are made for little girls, the twinkle twinkle music too, the RPG elements are always as thin and shallow as it gets, and the combat is too. I admit, I am probably missing a bunch of great ones because I just can't get past the style, it annoys me too much. I loved FFT though.

- Factorio is lego for aspie nerds with low standards. It could have been amazing because they built half of an awesome RTS but then called it a day because the sheepy public made them multi millionaires.

- The entire Gothic and Risen series was shoddy at best and should probably just be forgotten.

- Dark Souls series are not RPGs. They are the same genre as whatever Dance Dance Revolution is.

- Betrayal At Krondor is far better than this shitty world deserves.

- Arx Fatalis is subpar and the spell casting thing was gimmicky nonsense.

- Blizzard are massively overrated regurgitators.

- Fat asses are not sexy.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
- I never played a Zelda game because I am PC master race, and I don't trust Zelda fans enough to go out of my way to try it.
They aren't that good. I've beaten quite a few of them(especially the older ones), and they never stand out as something amazing or groundbreaking. Another case of nintendo creating anything and nintendo fans claiming it's the best thing ever made.

KK1001

Arbiter
I don't even own a console but PCs are a joke when it comes to exclusives unless you like indie shit and half-finished RPGs. Still the superior platform for their versatility but sometimes you just want fun.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Quake is and always was overrated game, impressive tech demo for when it was made, but as a game it's fucking boring...and very brown.

Edit: and for ex- and current Amiga-users, Amiga died when PC started getting VGA-games, games like Ultima Underworld etc killed Amiga as a serious gaming platform, and Doom was the final nail in the coffin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom